This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT promotions for Jarod Curley, Carlos Gonzalez, Jake Roxander

I think Misty is de facto retired even if they still keep her photo up on the website.

Jaffe is allowing too many older dancers to hang around who have little or no value to the company anymore.  I'm referring here to Hoven, Fang and Paris.  

Jaffe's tenure so far has been a big disappointment.  The programming has far too much repetition. 

Chloe is the only soloist who is being given major opportunities.  Park is obviously talented, but is still getting the same old roles.  

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I think Misty is de facto retired even if they still keep her photo up on the website.

Jaffe is allowing too many older dancers to hang around who have little or no value to the company anymore.  I'm referring here to Hoven, Fang and Paris.  

Jaffe's tenure so far has been a big disappointment.  The programming has far too much repetition. 

Chloe is the only soloist who is being given major opportunities.  Park is obviously talented, but is still getting the same old roles.  

I agree on Misty. I think Gillian is still retiring semi soon but she's still dancing well. She does seem to spend a lot of time understandably with Ethan at ARB so I'm wondering if she might retire soon to join him there full time. 

Paris is retiring after this season (I believe) and I think Fang is on her way out also. Unsure about Hoven but I do think he's dancing less. 

I think Sunmi is getting new roles (perhaps Kitri soon) and she's been casted as the lead in Nutcracker and LWFC but those are probably lesser debuts than Chloe's O/O. I think if there are principal promotions after this met season it's likely only Chloe, if there are none then I could see the next principal promotions being both of them provided they both keep being cast in principal/leading roles. 

18 hours ago, abatt said:

16 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

I agree on Misty. I think Gillian is still retiring semi soon but she's still dancing well. She does seem to spend a lot of time understandably with Ethan at ARB so I'm wondering if she might retire soon to join him there full time. 

Paris is retiring after this season (I believe) and I think Fang is on her way out also. Unsure about Hoven but I do think he's dancing less. 

I think Sunmi is getting new roles (perhaps Kitri soon) and she's been casted as the lead in Nutcracker and LWFC but those are probably lesser debuts than Chloe's O/O. I think if there are principal promotions after this met season it's likely only Chloe, if there are none then I could see the next principal promotions being both of them provided they both keep being cast in principal/leading roles. 

I agree that too many older dancers are being allowed to hang on, however, they were already being allowed to hang on when McKenzie was still AD. He should have graciously let a few of them go before he retired (and that was only a little over a year ago). Jaffe let Shayer go. We don't know the circumstances that led to Gorak leaving last year nor Katie Williams retiring this year. How would everyone react if she pulled a "Corrella" and did a slash and burn all at once? The balletomanes and the press would have a field day. And, the company's morale would take a huge hit - I bet a bunch of dancers would leave. But, now that we're basically on year two of Jaffe's reign there needs to be more retirements - Hoven, Paris, Fang. That will also free up much needed space to promote Coker and maybe Frenette.

I disagree about Murphy still dancing well - I've seen enough over the past year. Jaffe may be treading lightly there due to Murphy's stardom/tenure, but it's past time. Same with Copeland (just remove her name already). I also think Stearns needs to retire. He's always injured and when he is it takes him out for a long time. Now that Curley is a soloist they better be prepping him for Siegfried and Romeo as an understudy (if not his own show). We can't have Camargo doing 3 or 4 Romeos like last year.

Regarding Park, she has not been getting the same old roles. She debuted Natalia in On the Dnipro last Fall and debuted Clara in Nutcracker in December. Of course, not on par with Misseldine's O/O, but what is? Again, with Murphy still on the roster that limits opportunities for others. Park could have debuted Juliet this year (or Brandt) but perhaps she will get an Olga in Onegin. I hope they wait another year before promoting Misseldine to principal. It'll no doubt happen (and, I believe it should) but she needs more time in more roles.

Jaffe's programming last Fall was different - bringing back Etudes, Ballet Imperial, Petit Mort was a big deal. Some other repeats, but they don't have enough rehearsal time to do 7-8 new works. We all discussed here on a different thread the reasons why we may have too many repeats at the Met this year (licensing, etc) but whatever the reason I definitely agree that there's not enough variety. I hope Met 2025 will be vastly different. 

Edited by ABT Fan

I have been watching ABT carefully for about 12 years as a fan, seeing full ABT ballets and performances live at the MET and other Lincoln Center venues, City Center, etc... during that time.  While I am not an x-dancer and do not have the language to describe or best critique as many of you, the nuances of talent and individual performances, I definitely have my preferences.  For me, the newer crop of women principals especially Brandt,  Shevchenko and Hurlin  (sorry for any misspellings) are all very strong and Trenary too (but seems ABT likes her in more limited types of roles).  I see these 4 as the foundation for years to come with Misty C and Murphy soon to retire and probably Hee See not far off.  Messeldine sure seems like a wonderful dancer to me, and seems favored by Jaffe, and will likely be promoted next year, given all the roles she is getting.  Park is young and I am sure will rise to a promotion soon enough. I feel that it is the men that is more of a wild-card for me with Stearns getting up there and Cornejo nearing the end of his career.  For the future, it seems to me that Bell and Roxander are the two up and comers.  I see Bell dancing with all the principals but a great deal with Hurlin and I see Roxander perhaps matching up with Brandt after Cornejo retires.  Royal to me is a beautiful dancer but perhaps not as clean and proficient from what I can tell (by my own eyes, admittedly not as skilled as most of yours, and the critics). I feel Calvin has work to do to be the level of a Cornejo or Camargo or Bell, but perhaps he can be. All in all, as the top is soon to retire on both the men and woman's side, I feel only the men's side needs the most reinforcement whether from their own ranks or outside. 

22 hours ago, TheAccidentalBalletomane said:

I have been watching ABT carefully for about 12 years as a fan, seeing full ABT ballets and performances live at the MET and other Lincoln Center venues, City Center, etc... during that time.  While I am not an x-dancer and do not have the language to describe or best critique as many of you, the nuances of talent and individual performances...

For the future, it seems to me that Bell and Roxander are the two up and comers.  I see Bell dancing with all the principals but a great deal with Hurlin and I see Roxander perhaps matching up with Brandt after Cornejo retires..... 

Don’t sell yourself short.  Knowing the correct ballet vocabulary is not a requirement for enjoying ballet.  You know what you like and you obviously have a good eye.

However I disagree that Bell should be considered an up and comer when he has already more than proven himself in Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, Giselle, Don Q, Sleeping Beauty etc.  He is at the height of his career, and I doubt many would disagree that he is the best male principal at ABT right now.  

As an aside, I’ve been following him since he was about 14 years old when he guested in a local ballet school’s  Nutcracker and danced just about every other role.  He blew me away then, and has continued to blow me away since joining ABT.  I was beside myself when he joined ABT and often found myself watching him instead of the principal dancers.  But fortunately, it wasn’t long before he began dancing principal roles himself.  

2 hours ago, NinaFan said:

Don’t sell yourself short.  Knowing the correct ballet vocabulary is not a requirement for enjoying ballet.  You know what you like and you obviously have a good eye.

However I disagree that Bell should be considered an up and comer when he has already more than proven himself in Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, Giselle, Don Q, Sleeping Beauty etc.  He is at the height of his career, and I doubt many would disagree that he is the best male principal at ABT right now.  

As an aside, I’ve been following him since he was about 14 years old when he guested in a local ballet school’s  Nutcracker and danced just about every other role.  He blew me away then, and has continued to blow me away since joining ABT.  I was beside myself when he joined ABT and often found myself watching him instead of the principal dancers.  But fortunately, it wasn’t long before he began dancing principal roles himself.  

I totally agree. I saw him dance with Chloe for her debut in Swan Lake and he is the whole package.  He doesn't seem to have a high profile though. Not sure why that is. 

2 hours ago, theo said:

I totally agree. I saw him dance with Chloe for her debut in Swan Lake and he is the whole package.  He doesn't seem to have a high profile though. Not sure why that is. 

Bell was featured in galas last year in Japan, Australia, and the Hamptons. He'll be featured at Vail in August. He danced with Boylston last weekend in Connecticut in Cinderella. He did Other Dances in August at the outdoor festival at Lincoln Center. But it was a mystery why he danced so little at the fall ABT season. He was listed for several things and then several of those disappeared. No hint ever of injury, fatigue, exhaustion.  I do wish we had more opportunities to see him. 

40 minutes ago, California said:

Bell was featured in galas last year in Japan, Australia, and the Hamptons. He'll be featured at Vail in August. He danced with Boylston last weekend in Connecticut in Cinderella. He did Other Dances in August at the outdoor festival at Lincoln Center. But it was a mystery why he danced so little at the fall ABT season. He was listed for several things and then several of those disappeared. No hint ever of injury, fatigue, exhaustion.  I do wish we had more opportunities to see him. 

He seems very shy in presenting his achievements and personal life in the social media which is very admirable in these times IMO.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:22 PM, abatt said:

I thought Fang was excellent as Mama Elena in Like Water for Chocolate just this past summer. I'd be happy to see her name on the program in future.

In any case, retirements can't be expected to solve deeper structural problems: ABT needs to be dancing much more. Until that lack of performing time is solved--more weeks in New York and/or more touring time--everything else seems something of a stop gap.

The programming for the summer is disappointing...

11 hours ago, bingham said:

He seems very shy in presenting his achievements and personal life in the social media which is very admirable in these times IMO.

Yes, I think both bingham and Drew make good points.  He is out there in the world but he keeps a low profile personally. I think that's admirable also. My selfish side would like to hear more about where he is dancing though. 

Like others, I wish I could see much more of Bell.  He was dancing frequently until the MET season was reduced by almost half.  I just hope he isn’t tempted to leave ABT.  I honestly can’t see how a young dancer with such outstanding technical and artistic ability would want to stay at a company with limited opportunities to dance.

4 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

I just hope he isn’t tempted to leave ABT.  I honestly can’t see how a young dancer with such outstanding technical and artistic ability would want to stay at a company with limited opportunities to dance.

I worry the same about Jake Roxander and many of them!

16 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I worry the same about Jake Roxander and many of them!

Me too.  It wasn't that long ago that very some talented soloists and corps dancers did just that when they got tired of being overlooked for promotion.  Not having opportunities for a dancer to dance just puts the icing on the cake.

Edited by NinaFan
added sentence

I agree that ABT's limited dancing opportunities compared to in the past must be frustrating.... but with the exception of NYCB, does ABT really have significantly fewer performance opportunities than other top American companies? SFB, for example, has nine programs for the 2023-24 year, including Nutcracker and two "encore" programs; Houston has eight. Philadelphia Ballet only has five programs for the upcoming year including Nutcracker. Seems like by US standards, ABT is still probably the best, or at least one of the best, one can do outside of NYCB and without going to Europe. 

Edited by matilda

San Fran has nine programs, but there are 31 Nutcracker performances and 64 other performances. Boston Ballet does 40-45 Nutcracker performances and 5-6 programs per year. Each program has 9 to 12 shows. Houston is similar to Boston. Perhaps ABT has the same number of shows, but I believe the issue (and this has been discussed before) is the lack of opportunity to perform a role in a run more than once or twice. The positive I see for Bell, Curley and Roxander is that there will be principals retiring soon. Cornejo does not have much time left, nor do Stearns and Whiteside. 

1 hour ago, matilda said:

Seems like by US standards, ABT is still probably the best, or at least one of the best, one can do outside of NYCB and without going to Europe.

Some of the more talented young ones might have options in Europe and find that appealing. And what about National Ballet of Canada? I can see where Aran Bell might not want to leave a company where he's already a principal, but for someone still up and coming like Roxander or Curley, they must at least be looking around at the other options. 

30 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Some of the more talented young ones might have options in Europe and find that appealing. And what about National Ballet of Canada? I can see where Aran Bell might not want to leave a company where he's already a principal, but for someone still up and coming like Roxander or Curley, they must at least be looking around at the other options. 

I agree. And I think what is also appealing is the type of rep that other companies do. 

It has to be tough without their own opera house. I know they tour, but for the most part it seems to be feast or famine with performing. They have long breaks where they aren’t performing and then have to shove a bunch of different ballets into a super short timeframe. It seems unsatisfying artistically and also more likely to cause injury.

2 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

It has to be tough without their own opera house. I know they tour, but for the most part it seems to be feast or famine with performing. They have long breaks where they aren’t performing and then have to shove a bunch of different ballets into a super short timeframe. It seems unsatisfying artistically and also more likely to cause injury.

They need to solve the issue of the four weeks they lost at the Met. 

22 hours ago, cobweb said:

I can see where Aran Bell might not want to leave a company where he's already a principal, but for someone still up and coming like Roxander or Curley, they must at least be looking around at the other options. 

I can't picture Jarod Curley or Jake Roxander leaving now when the great prize is in sight. Herman Cornejo is over 40 and is winding down in terms of active repertory. Roxander will fill that slot. Thomas Forster, Cory Stearns and James Whiteside are all nearing 40 and the latter two have been plagued by injuries. Curley will fill one of those slots.

I'm more inclined to think that a long-serving corps member like Patrick Frenette (who was passed over in the most recent round of promotions) might consider moving on while he's still in his late-20s.

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

I can't picture Jarod Curley or Jake Roxander leaving now when the great prize is in sight. Herman Cornejo is over 40 and is winding down in terms of active repertory. Roxander will fill that slot. Thomas Forster, Cory Stearns and James Whiteside are all nearing 40 and the latter two have been plagued by injuries. Curley will fill one of those slots.

I like your way of thinking, miliosr! I would love to see this happen, and sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

I'm more inclined to think that a long-serving corps member like Patrick Frenette (who was passed over in the most recent round of promotions) might consider moving on while he's still in his late-20s.

If Blaine Hoven would retire (he’s not cast as much anymore), there would be room in the Soloist ranks for Patrick. 

47 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Who retired to make room for the other three? 

Well, several male soloists were promoted to principal which opened up slots (including character dancer/actor Roman Zhurbin).  Gabe Stone Shayer was fired.  Joseph Gorak either left or wasn't rehired.  So that opened up even more slots.  Plus over the pandemic veteran male soloists like Alexandre Hammoudi and Arron Scott retired/were let go.  So spaces were definitely there.

Edited by FauxPas