This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT promotions for Jarod Curley, Carlos Gonzalez, Jake Roxander

3 hours ago, miliosr said:

I can't picture Jarod Curley or Jake Roxander leaving now when the great prize is in sight. Herman Cornejo is over 40 and is winding down in terms of active repertory. Roxander will fill that slot. Thomas Forster, Cory Stearns and James Whiteside are all nearing 40 and the latter two have been plagued by injuries. Curley will fill one of those slots.

I'm more inclined to think that a long-serving corps member like Patrick Frenette (who was passed over in the most recent round of promotions) might consider moving on while he's still in his late-20s.

I agree with all of this too!

I’m hoping that Jaffe and the new ED are hustling to get more performances sorted out, whether in NYC and/or on tour. Hopefully both. 

Yay!! They promoted the guys with charisma!

And isn't it delightful how untouched by COVID and the late-00's "ABT star system" collapse these promotions feel:  how very normal these promotions are?They're all under 30. Two have had a few years of outings in leading and soloist roles...Curley won't be thrown into Siegfried seemingly minutes after learning Rothbart like the last three guys. They've all acted under pressure. And there isn't the sense that they've cut off everyone else's chances to rise.

So, I'm actually excited about this summer's rep:  the company men will have lots of low-stakes opportunities to shine.  And there are enough male demisoloist roles in Woolf Works, R+J, and Onegin that we'll get a sense of who is up next and how fast.

A less-challenging ballet that's a vehicle for an older ballerina is the kind of boost that a guy needing a launch (or re-launch) can't get anywhere else. One of these guys will look great as Lensky on stage with Seo. When Ahn sets foot onstage with Murphy in Woolf Works, the audience will be full, absolutely no eyes will be scrutinizing him, he'll know he's beside someone who has seen and fixed any stage mishap imaginable, and Murphy's stardom will rub off on him just as effectively as it would in a Petipa gut-cruncher. And while it's totally unimaginable that Ferri would be cast opposite anyone but Cornejo or Camargo in Woolf Works, if an AD were determined to make a young male dancer a star...

Edited by choriamb

Sadly, Jonathan Klein, corps dancer but potential soloist (and likely principal) material has left the company with his wife Emily Hayes to spend more time managing their skin care line.

Also several people have mentioned that the Studio Company has strong talent and several members have joined as apprentices and corps.

Names that spring to mind are Elisabeth Beyer, Finian Carmeci, Cy Doherty (a dance actor it seems), Takumi Miyake, Madison Brown, Andrew Robare, Alejandro Valera Outlaw, Kyra Coco and probably one or two I've missed.

They need to be utilized stat.  Beyer and Miyake are outstanding talents.

Edited by FauxPas
On 3/22/2024 at 9:40 AM, FauxPas said:

Sadly, Jonathan Klein, corps dancer but potential soloist (and likely principal) material has left the company with his wife Emily Hayes to spend more time managing their skin care line.

Shocked and saddened to see Klein stop dancing.   Am I misunderstanding the timing, or did he resign right after being passed over in the March promotions? 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:40 AM, FauxPas said:

They need to be utilized stat.  Beyer and Miyake are outstanding talents.

ABT needs to. keep developing rep that uses outstanding talents. It seems that there are many weeks that don't have a lot of roles to go around.

12 hours ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Shocked and saddened to see Klein stop dancing.   Am I misunderstanding the timing, or did he resign right after being passed over in the March promotions? 

He and his wife developed a skin care co many months ago, see their IGs. They didn’t perform last fall at all so I assume they took a leave to focus on it. I think their retirements just coincided with the contract renewals. 

Concerning Klein, I thought he was very good and remember thinking he could be a good partner for Skylar or Cassandra.  I seem to recall that he was quite good in Whipped Cream, as I believe he played the boy.... He has been focusing on his skin care business for quite some time.  My guess is that this was his choice and had little to do with promotions.