This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jaffe's Vision for Fall 2023 Season

Susan Jaffe speaks to Town & Country about her vision for the Fall 2023 season, with thanks to Dance Edit for the item in their daily newsletter.  It will be interesting to see if the performances live up to it, in addition to whether we think the choice of rep has.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a45520874/american-ballet-theatre-susan-jaffe/?utm_source=The+Dance+Edit&utm_campaign=ed4f9c3843-TheDanceEdit20201119_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_71d672be74-ed4f9c3843-69902614

Thank you for the link. I'm glad they're getting press. Jaffe's ideas don't sound that bold to me, just what everyone is doing these days.

It's an odd article. It doesn't sound like the author writes about ballet often, Jaffe "retired for performance"? Or maybe they just don't proofread things at Town and Country.

What Jaffe doesn't seem to be planning on doing is drafting in star designers with no background in dance or theater and having them redesign ballets.  Also bringing in choreographers with no background in ballet to do new works with a classically based company.  She seems leery of corporate partnerships or linking in celebrities with no background in dance for publicity and that does sound like a wise choice.  Not ruling it out but being careful and choosy of who you get in bed with.

I get the impression that Jaffe is trying to revive a glimmer of the old ABT excitement and is, for the most part, prioritizing classical/neoclassical works the company has historically done best. The McKenzie-era commissions were mostly mediocre to just bad. For example, giving subpar choreographers like Jessica Lang commission after commission (overestimating how much audiences truly cared about the gender of a choreographer) and, IMO, letting Ratmansky have too much leeway in indulging niche historic interests with large budgets that rarely paid off. 

I like that she doesn't seem too influenced by negative voices in the media: 

"I think ballet has been discussed negatively recently saying that it is old. But those voices are loud. There are so many people who don't have a megaphone and love ballets. It's not like the audience is empty. They are full."

Of course, she has quite the uphill battle dealing with the current staffing situation. Of the male principals, only Bell and Camargo are exciting in the big classics nowadays. Whiteside, Stearns, Cornejo, and Forster are nearing retirement, and I really think Ahn and Royal should have stayed soloists. Other than Roxander and Curley the corps, I'm not sure if anyone else is truly ready to step into roles like Albrecht, Siegfried, etc. 

I agree with all the above except that on paper, the Ratmansky commissions were wonderful ideas.  What resulted was profoundly uneven and flawed (i.e. the new/old "Sleeping Beauty").

But even in the flops there were BEAUTIFUL things - for example "The Hunting of the Larks" in Act II of "Harlequinade".  That is gorgeous!

ABT used to do "Petipa Tribute" evenings with bits and pieces and it would be lovely for the Act II of "Harlequinade" or just "Hunting of the Larks" section to be done as a separate piece.

Also Ratmansky was a supporter of young dancers in the company giving Schevchenko, Brandt and Lane as well as many of the men big breaks.  I think Ratmansky still oversees and approves the casting of his ballets and he tapped Jarod Curley not only for "Of Love and Rage" but also to replace Aran Bell in both "Piano Concerto No. 1" and "On the Dnipro" this Fall season.  

Edited by FauxPas

Oh, I totally agree that Ratmansky made some amazing contributions to the company, especially developing dancers. I've enjoyed many of his works too. I just think Sleeping Beauty and Harlequinade in particular were squandered opportunities to make story ballets with more widespread and lasting appeal. Especially Sleeping Beauty, which practically by definition should be a crowd pleaser. 

1 hour ago, matilda said:

Of course, she has quite the uphill battle dealing with the current staffing situation. Of the male principals, only Bell and Camargo are exciting in the big classics nowadays. Whiteside, Stearns, Cornejo, and Forster are nearing retirement, and I really think Ahn and Royal should have stayed soloists. Other than Roxander and Curley the corps, I'm not sure if anyone else is truly ready to step into roles like Albrecht, Siegfried, etc. 

Agree completely. Unfortunately, I think she’ll need to bring in some outside hires (principals or soloists with potential to move up) as there aren’t enough young men nearly ready to step up. 

One who is kind of right there like low hanging fruit is Daniil Simkin who is now a freelancer.

I don't know if his break with ABT was due to his accepting a position in Berlin and either party were either unwilling or unable to facilitate a dual affiliation regarding scheduling, availability, etc.

I also don't know if Daniil finds it more financially profitable being a star guest artist around the world or whether he even wants to settle back with ABT in New York.

A compromise or reconciliation could be reached though.  From his social media posts it looks like Daniil would like to come back to New York.

Edited by FauxPas
2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

One who is kind of right there like low hanging fruit is Daniil Simkin who is now a freelancer.

I don't know if his break with ABT was due to his accepting a position in Berlin and either party were either unwilling or unable to facilitate a dual affiliation regarding scheduling, availability, etc.

I also don't know if Daniil finds it more financially profitable being a star guest artist around the world or whether he even wants to settle back with ABT in New York.

A compromise or reconciliation could be reached though.  From his social media posts it looks like Daniil would like to come back to New York.

When Simkin left ABT (in 2017) he said he wanted to perform more contemporary works. He left Berlin as soon as they announced a new director. It would be wonderful if he would rejoin ABT, even if it's only for the NYC engagements. Many of us would love to see him return!

https://pointemagazine.com/abts-daniil-simkin-to-join-staatsballett-berlin/

On 10/23/2023 at 9:05 AM, matilda said:

letting Ratmansky have too much leeway in indulging niche historic interests with large budgets that rarely paid off.

I couldn't agree more. For all the money ABT threw at him, Ratmansky never provided them with the kind of lasting multi-act story ballets that are the company's bread and butter. (His Nutcracker and Whipped Cream probably came the closest.)

On 10/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, FauxPas said:

ABT used to do "Petipa Tribute" evenings with bits and pieces and it would be lovely for the Act II or "Harlequinade" or just "Hunting of the Larks" section to be done as a separate piece.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, Barbara said:

I’ve long thought ABT could make an evening of beautiful divertissements from several of Ratmansky’s full lengths.

But how many times would the company be able to go to that particular well? It would work for a season or two but I doubt it would relieve ABT of their (over)dependence on Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet and Don Quixote.

Edited by miliosr

It hasn't been done in a long, long time and it would allow certain ballets that are no longer acceptable as full-lengths a chance to be seen. 

Well, for one thing, The Tribute to Petipa evening could include the Kingdom of the Shades scene from "La Bayadère" as a standalone which would allow us to see part of the ballet which is pure classicism and isn't weighed down with orientalist faux-Indian tropes.  Hurlin, Teuscher and Schevchenko and Misseldine have never gotten to dance Nikiya and that would give them an opportunity.  Boylston, Seo do dance Nikiya (so has Murphy but let's leave that in the past).  The evening also could include parts of "Raymonda" and "Le Corsaire" that are not troubled by the racist and faux oriental parts of those ballet librettos (no dancers in brown makeup and black fright wigs leaping around as "savages" doing the Drum Dance or Fakir dance, etc.).  The Final Pas de Six from "Raymonda" or the Jardin Animé or Grand Pas de Trois from "Le Corsaire" could slake our thirst for the Petipa choreography while leaving the politically problematic plots behind. 

Add in Act III of "Sleeping Beauty" (Brandt, Teuscher, Schevchenko, Misseldine as new Auroras, Trenary and Boylston dance it).   Then do "The Hunting of the Larks" from "Harlequinade" and possibly throw in a "Don Quixote" or Black Swan pas deux from "Swan Lake" and you have a lovely evening with opportunities for lots of dancers, including role debuts.

Edited by FauxPas

If it is true that Ratmansky's works were supported by David Koch, that usually means a restricted donation for a specific purpose, and ABT couldn't use that money for dancers' salaries or computers or pointe shoes or the electric bill.  Almost all arts organizations are in the same boat:  major individual donors who want their name on something, usually a building or a new production or for a specific role, "The XYZ Principal Conductor" or "The ABC Concertmaster" or "The 123 Center."

15 hours ago, FauxPas said:

It hasn't been done in a long, long time and it would allow certain ballets that are no longer acceptable as full-lengths a chance to be seen. 

Well, for one thing, The Tribute to Petipa evening could include the Kingdom of the Shades scene from "La Bayadère" as a standalone which would allow us to see part of the ballet which is pure classicism and isn't weighed down with orientalist faux-Indian tropes.  Hurlin, Teuscher and Schevchenko and Misseldine have never gotten to dance Nikiya and that would give them an opportunity.  Boylston, Seo do dance Nikiya (so has Murphy but let's leave that in the past).  The evening also could include parts of "Raymonda" and "Le Corsaire" that are not troubled by the racist and faux oriental parts of those ballet librettos (no dancers in brown makeup and black fright wigs leaping around as "savages" doing the Drum Dance or Fakir dance, etc.).  The Final Pas de Six from "Raymonda" or the Jardin Animé or Grand Pas de Trois from "Le Corsaire" could slake our thirst for the Petipa choreography while leaving the politically problematic plots behind. 

Add in Act III of "Sleeping Beauty" (Brandt, Teuscher, Schevchenko, Misseldine as new Auroras, Trenary and Boylston dance it).   Then do "The Hunting of the Larks" from "Harlequinade" and possibly throw in a "Don Quixote" or Black Swan pas deux from "Swan Lake" and you have a lovely evening with opportunities for lots of dancers, including role debuts.

When the Mariinsky appeared at City Center way back in 2008 they did single acts from the classics - Kingdom of the Shades, Jardin Anime, 3rd act of Raymonda. While I enjoyed it very much, none were as satisfying to me as the full ballets.

However, since it seems clear that we have no hope of seeing these 3 ballets at ABT in the foreseeable future I would welcome this type of programming. Yes, mix it up with some  other classical pas de deux and maybe the Pas d'Esclave or other pieces and I'd be there for multiple performances. A Ratmansky highlights program doesn't sound bad either.

15 hours ago, miliosr said:

I couldn't agree more. For all the money ABT threw at him, Ratmansky never provided them with the kind of lasting multi-act story ballets that are the company's bread and butter. (His Nutcracker and Whipped Cream probably came the closest.)

But how many times would the company be able to go to that particular well? It would work for a season or two but I doubt it would relieve ABT of their (over)dependence on Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet and Don Quixote.

I don't think ABT is overdependent on Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet and Don Quixote. That is what their audience wants and I think that is what they SHOULD be doing - along with Coppelia (and Bayadere, Corsaire, Raymonda) and I'd love to see them mount a production of The Awakening of Flora. They are the only company in NYC that does the Petipa classics (NYCB's Swan Lake, & Sleeping Beauty don't count, too much Martins). If ABT stopped or reduced the number of Petipa classics they do in their now truncated Spring season, with the absence of the big European and Russian companies appearing in NY we'd be a pretty much Petipa-less town, which is unthinkable to me.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:28 PM, miliosr said:

Has any choreographer done that? I mean, in the past 40-50 years? Imo, Natalia Makarova was the last one.

ABT knew all along that Ratmansky was interested in reconstruction of old ballets, and David Koch was happy to fund that pursuit.  Notably, the Swan Lake reconstruction was not funded by ABT and has never been presented at ABT.  Why not?  Is it because McKenzie wants to keep getting choreography royalties for his version of SL at ABT in perpetuity?  

On 10/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, abatt said:

ABT knew all along that Ratmansky was interested in reconstruction of old ballets, and David Koch was happy to fund that pursuit.  Notably, the Swan Lake reconstruction was not funded by ABT and has never been presented at ABT.  Why not?  Is it because McKenzie wants to keep getting choreography royalties for his version of SL at ABT in perpetuity?  

Leave that SL on where it is, my friend!!😍 That double suicide in profile with the heavens apotheosis while the swamp thing is convulsing on top of the rocks is iconic!!

And then....I can go back and forth between that and my home company 's great recon....😎

On 2/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, cubanmiamiboy said:

Leave that SL on where it is, my friend!! ....the heavens apotheosis  is iconic!!

Hi, Cristian. Hope all is well.

The first time that I saw Odette and Siegfried appear in that burst of sun I was in awe !  I also had tears in my eyes. I've seen it many times since and still feel the same.

Also this Swan Lake carries great memories of Veronika Part and Gillian Murphy performing wonderfully, and I'm a diehard Mariinsky fan. This is a tradition to be built on.

23 hours ago, Buddy said:

Hi, Cristian. Hope all is well.

The first time that I saw Odette and Siegfried appear in that burst of sun I was in awe !  I also had tears in my eyes. I've seen it many times since and still feel the same.

Also this Swan Lake carries great memories of Veronika Part and Gillian Murphy performing wonderfully, and I'm a diehard Mariinsky fan. This is a tradition to be built on.

I just saw that iconic scene for the first time last Friday (Misseldine/Bell) and I think I too shed a tear. It's absolutely perfection and I wouldn't want it to change at all. 

Speaking of Buddy, we tend to have similar tastes in ballerinas so you should try to see Chloe Misseldine if you get the chance. I think you will like her dancing. 

2 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

I just saw that iconic scene for the first time last Friday (Misseldine/Bell) and I think I too shed a tear. It's absolutely perfection and I wouldn't want it to change at all. 

Speaking of Buddy, we tend to have similar tastes in ballerinas so you should try to see Chloe Misseldine if you get the chance. I think you will like her dancing. 

I don’t know where she came from (haven’t heard her name before), but I checked her out on the internet and I love her. Thank you !

To be continued:

Chloe Misseldine

“Rarely seen "William Tell" Variation danced by the beautiful YAGP Alumna  and ABT Dancer Chloe Misseldine at the 2021 YAGP Tampa Gala.  For all the Bournonville fans out there, here is a rare treat!!!”