This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Rep Season Announcement

The new season has been announced via video:  23–24 SEASON - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

I will give comments later, but following are some highlights:

• Mere Mortals - an evening length work by choreographer Aszure Barton with music by Floating Points
  • The return of Helgi Tomasson's Swan Lake
  • The return of Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream - with updated costume and set designs by celebrated French designer Christian Lacroix (originally created for Paris Opera Ballet)
  • British Icons:  Ashton's Marguerite and Armand, plus MacMillan's Song of the Earth
  • Dos Mujeres - Arielle Smith's Carmen, plus Annabelle Lopez Ochoa's Broken Wings
  • next@90 Curtain Call:  Possokhov's Violin Concerto, Blanc's Gateway to the Sign, and Rowe's Madcap
  • Plus a second Encore program (called Encore A) to be announced

More details:  23–24 SEASON - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

Initial thoughts:

• Great to see more female choreographers
  • Mere Mortals is a bold choice, but looking forward to see something different
  • Have to search for the Christian Lacroix designs, but very happy that Midsummer is returning to the stage
  • Love that we are getting some British Icons
  • Wishing for Bolero and Colorforms on the Encore A program, which is still to be announced
  • Swan Lake will include guest artists - really curious to see who they will be....
Edited by sf_herminator
1 hour ago, sf_herminator said:

The new season has been announced via video:  23–24 SEASON - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

I will give comments later, but following are some highlights:

• Mere Mortals - an evening length work by choreographer Aszure Barton with music by Floating Points
  • The return of Helgi Tomasson's Swan Lake
  • The return of Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream - with updated costume and set designs by celebrated French designer Christian Lacroix (originally created for Paris Opera Ballet)
  • British Icons:  Ashton's Marguerite and Armand, plus MacMillan's Song of the Earth
  • Dos Mujeres - Arielle Smith's Carmen, plus Annabelle Lopez Ochoa's Broken Wings
  • next@90 Curtain Call:  Possokhov's Violin Concerto, Blanc's Gateway to the Sign, and Rowe's Madcap
  • Plus a second Encore program (called Encore A) to be announced

More details:  23–24 SEASON - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

At last! 

And we will undoubtedly have Yuan Yuan Tan as Marguerite! (Rojo was a noteworthy Marguerite.)  I am thrilled about Song of the Earth, a ballet I love. 

No problems with the Lacroix costumes for Midsummer

Is Tiit Helimets returning in Madcap, as he should? 

Broken Wings will be interesting to compare with the Dutch National's full-length Frida being performed at the L.A. Music Center in mid-July 2023, which I am attending, as Broken Wings (premiered by ENB in 2016 with Rojo in the lead) was the springboard for the full-length work (2020).

With Carmen, Broken Wings, Swan Lake, Marguerite and Armand, and The Song of the Earth, does it seems that Rojo is programming ballets she danced or would like to have danced (e.g., Carmen)?   It is interesting that there is only one major classical ballet, Swan Lake, for the principal dancers for next year, unless the April Encore Program turns into a full-length work, which seems doubtful. 

I am looking forward to seeing all the new works. 

Edited by Josette

WOW!  I'm surprised by the programming (in a good way!), and I'm very much looking forward to next year!!

Some observations:

1. I'm glad Rojo is keeping Balanchine in the rep, I was wondering if/how SFB would move from its Balanchine ties once Helgi was gone. And Midsummer is one of my favorites.  Many opportunities to showcase rising soloists, and lots of charming children's roles.

2. Yes so glad about Madcap!  And Josette, I agree that Tiit should reprise his role in it.  Madcap was my favorite work of the season.

3. I've never heard of Aszure Barton but I'm intrigued!  I looked up her past work and it looks very innovative.

4. Glad to see lots of female choreographers, generally!

5. I do hope Breiner's Salome gets programmed, and same with Colorforms.

6. As Josette mentioned, I'm a bit surprised there's only one major full-length classical work.  I'm definitely used to seeing 2-3 big meaty classical works in the season.  I can't say I'm too sad - I prefer seeing new works, but I've always gotten the impression the story ballets are the big money-makers.

7. Surprised that Khan's Giselle isn't programmed!

3 hours ago, sf_herminator said:
  • Have to search for the Christian Lacroix designs, but very happy that Midsummer is returning to the stage

Lacroix's designs are beautiful, especially the lithographic quality of the backdrops, although I don't know how well the intricate details of the costumes carry into the hall. I have seen the POB production only on video, so I can't say. 

https://en.vogue.me/fashion_week/fall-2017-review/christian-lacroix-fashion-accident/

All very, very interesting. I, too, am eager (and trepidatious) to see what the new roster will bring. Agreed, as well, about the guest principal thing. Curious. Well, different. And we all knew "different" was coming.

Seconding the desire to see "Bolero" and "The Queen's Daughter" again. But on the positive side, 2 of the ballets I missed from the festival are on the books for next season. And MADCAP was my favorite as well. 

Edited by Terez

I'm surprised that Swan Lake is getting a repeat - not my idea of cutting edge programing, first off.  TR should have brought Khan's Giselle to SFB.

Do people agree with the choice of Next@90 favorites? MADCAP I understand, but the other two? What about something like Queen’s Daughter?

Nice to see Midsummer returning, and Ochoa getting another chance - I actually enjoyed her piece from the last festival (the silly plastic horns not so much).

Edited by pherank
On 4/21/2023 at 1:54 AM, PeggyTulle said:

Wonder what the purpose of guest principals for SL is? As of now, it feels like the company is fairly principal heavy (in a good way!).

Rojo may have some dancers she wants to hire and this gives them the opportunity to experience the company. 

On 4/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, PeggyTulle said:

Wonder what the purpose of guest principals for SL is? As of now, it feels like the company is fairly principal heavy (in a good way!).

On 5/2/2023 at 3:05 AM, Josette said:

Rojo may have some dancers she wants to hire and this gives them the opportunity to experience the company. 

The company has lost five male principals since 2022:

• Ulrik Birkkjaer (departed - 2022)
  • Benjamin Freemantle (departed - 2022)
  • Julian MacKay (contract not renewed - 2022)
  • Tiit Helimets (retired - 2023)
  • Max Cauthorn (departing - 2023)

The company picked up Isaac Hernandez (for obvious reasons) but that still leaves them down four male principals. If the goal is to get back to the pre-Rojo total of 11 male principals, then there's certainly room on the male side of the ledger for Rojo to import dancers.

Edited by miliosr
5 hours ago, naomikage said:

It seems Mathilde Froustey is joining Bordeaux Opera Ballet, according to Danses Avec La Plume. (journalist Amelie Bertrand) She will be dancing Kitri on June 30th there.

Although I've heard nothing official on this side of the Atlantic, this announcement would make it official:

"Mathilde Froustey previously held the position of Principal Dancer at the San Francisco Ballet and we are delighted with the return to France of this great artist."

https://www.opera-bordeaux.com/nomination-de-deux-etoiles-au-ballet-de-lopera-national-de-bordeaux-37542

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, pherank said:

Although I've heard nothing official on this side of the Atlantic, this announcement would make it official:

"Mathilde Froustey previously held the position of Principal Dancer at the San Francisco Ballet and we are delighted with the return to France of this great artist."

https://www.opera-bordeaux.com/nomination-de-deux-etoiles-au-ballet-de-lopera-national-de-bordeaux-37542

Sad to see her go.  She was one of my favorites.

14 minutes ago, naomikage said:

And here is Froustey’s post. She says she will leave SFB and return to France.(I think she was from Bordeaux) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr1X1N2vd-2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I must have looked at her Instagram page 5 minutes before she posted.  😉

14 minutes ago, Roseann said:

Sad to see her go.  She was one of my favorites.

Yes, it's more sad news. Her generation of dancers is disappearing from SFB in any case. I believe Mathilde's favorite partner was Tiit Helimets, and he's gone now. And there's been plenty of outward signs that her life had been totally disrupted during the pandemic and U.S. visa hassles. We don't know officially what the state of her marriage is, but there are few good signs there. Who knows what all happened.