This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

On 10/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jack Reed said:

Can anyone point me to information regarding the current coaches at NYCB for the Balanchine and Robbins ballets?  Does the company reveal that, ever?  Or the press?

The Repertory Directors are listed in the programs. It's rare that their rep is publicly posted but Jean-Pierre Frolich is in charge of the Robbins repertory, Rosemary Dunleavy deals with the corps de ballet. Craig Hall works closely with Justin Peck. Christine Redpath staged the Robbins duet that was revived recently ( I've forgotten the name). They all have an area of expertise and particular rep to focus on. It is often mentioned in interviews and on Instagram with dancers thanking specific people who coached them in particular roles. If you read a fair amount of press you'll be able to suss it out.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, abatt said:

No Mira Nadon listed.  Disappointed.  Hope she is well.

Also notice that LaFreniere is not cast at all in week one.

I am surprised she's not dancing Summer -- I hope this means that she has big things coming up later, including the new Ratmansky. I certainly hope it doesn't mean she's sidelined for any reason!

In her Instagram stories last week, she reposted a Kyle Froman gem of Darcy Kistler dancing the Concert and said, "She wished she could throw her hair around like that" (I am paraphrasing) -- so she might be debuting the hat girl?

28 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

The Repertory Directors are listed in the programs. It's rare that their rep is publicly posted but Jean-Pierre Frolich is in charge of the Robbins repertory, Rosemary Dunleavy deals with the corps de ballet. Craig Hall works closely with Justin Peck. Christine Redpath staged the Robbins duet that was revived recently ( I've forgotten the name). They all have an area of expertise and particular rep to focus on. It is often mentioned in interviews and on Instagram with dancers thanking specific people who coached them in particular roles. If you read a fair amount of press you'll be able to suss it out.

It was Christine Redpath for the dramatic PPD in Brandenburg -- this time danced by two casts, one Mira/Aaron Sanz and the other Unity/ADW(?)

14 minutes ago, bellawood said:
42 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

It was Christine Redpath for the dramatic PPD in Brandenburg -- this time danced by two casts, one Mira/Aaron Sanz and the other Unity/ADW(?)

Oh! I was thinking of a duet for two women, Rondo? Olivia McKinnon was in one cast (perhaps with Isabelle LaFreniere) and Mira Nadon was in the other. 

2 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Oh! I was thinking of a duet for two women, Rondo? Olivia McKinnon was in one cast (perhaps with Isabelle LaFreniere) and Mira Nadon was in the other. 

Yes Rondo also! That was Nadon/LaFreniere one cast and OMcK and Indiana Woodward maybe in the other? I forgot about Rondo.

Edited by bellawood
3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Thanks for the leads, BalanchineFan.  I might have done better to explain that I'm anticipating NYCB's short run at the Harris Theater here in Chicago, March 20-23, and I'm wondering whether to attend their "Masters at Work" program with "4 T's" and "Serenade".  If all their Balanchine looks like it did in the recent PBS video shot in Madrid and in the earlier one shot in Paris, which looked pretty bloodless to me, I'm not going to pay top dollar to be miserable at what's been lost since the hundreds of performances I watched in Balanchine's day, in the '70's and early '80's. 

When well-coached by someone extraordinary like Suzanne Farrell did a couple of years ago, they were worth the trip to New York; but not having been in New York lately I don't have up-to-date programs to check, so, yes, I see that I have some research work to do.  (That time a couple of years ago a good friend saw news of Farrell's work at NYCB in The NY Times, parallel to your advice, and alerted me.  Now she tells me two of the ballets on their "21st Century" program in the Harris - the Peck and Wheeldon ones - are worth considering, having seen them herself.)

Well, of course the company has changed a lot since Balanchine’s time. How could it not?

I was very depressed about the change back in the 1990’s and stopped attending, but in the past 10 or 15 years I’ve gotten past it and I now enjoy the rep and dancers enormously. 

Here in NYC you can get what (for me, are) reasonably priced tickets ($42-$76). I imagine they have a few different price points, even in Chicago. Binoculars are a plus. 

And @bellawood Yes! Rondo!! Robbins originally choreographed it on Kyra Nichols and Stephanie Saland.

Edited by BalanchineFan
13 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Thanks for the leads, BalanchineFan.  I might have done better to explain that I'm anticipating NYCB's short run at the Harris Theater here in Chicago, March 20-23, and I'm wondering whether to attend their "Masters at Work" program with "4 T's" and "Serenade".  If all their Balanchine looks like it did in the recent PBS video shot in Madrid and in the earlier one shot in Paris, which looked pretty bloodless to me, I'm not going to pay top dollar to be miserable at what's been lost since the hundreds of performances I watched in Balanchine's day, in the '70's and early '80's. 

I've only experienced the Balanchine era via video, but I've overall found 4Ts to be very well-danced by the company over the past several seasons, with some performances being particularly exhilarating/moving. I think they've generally cast the ballet well.

Serenade has been more of a mixed bag, with several of the female leads not quite doing it for me, for whatever reason. I'd look forward to seeing some new dancers breathe life into the work. Emma Von Enck as the Russian Girl? Nadon as Dark Angel?

5 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I've only experienced the Balanchine era via video, but I've overall found 4Ts to be very well-danced by the company over the past several seasons, with some performances being particularly exhilarating/moving. I think they've generally cast the ballet well.

Serenade has been more of a mixed bag, with several of the female leads not quite doing it for me, for whatever reason. I'd look forward to seeing some new dancers breathe life into the work. Emma Von Enck as the Russian Girl? Nadon as Dark Angel?

Nadon danced Waltz Girl in Madrid and was absolutely stunning.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Based on a short film released by NYCB, Tiler Peck's new ballet apparently is set to Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos, and the costumes are designed by Zac Posen.

I would be thrilled if Tiler turns out to be a capable choreographer! 

I'm not on Instagram, but if any of you see hints (on public-facing social media only, of course!) of Liebeslieder casting, or other casting of interest such as Four Temperaments, please post.

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

I would be thrilled if Tiler turns out to be a capable choreographer! 

I have hope for that! I saw one of her pieces  on the program she presented in City Center, and two of them at Vail. In my opinion they were well constructed, musical and used ballet vocabulary well. I wouldn't say they were memorable,  but she has craft and musicality. That's promising in my book.

16 hours ago, vipa said:

I have hope for that! I saw one of her pieces  on the program she presented in City Center, and two of them at Vail. In my opinion they were well constructed, musical and used ballet vocabulary well. I wouldn't say they were memorable,  but she has craft and musicality. That's promising in my book.

I agree that she is showing promise as a choreographer, after seeing her work at City Center! Based on Instagram teases it looks like Mira Nadon and India Bradley have significant roles in Tiler's upcoming work. I'm excited to see it.

Still no second week casting. I wonder if the current COVID wave is hitting the company and scrambling casting.

Week 2 casting, dated 01/16/2024, is posted in the lobby.

The New Combinations evening has

Rotunda: Mearns, M. Miller, *Bologna, *Adams, Woodward, Phelan, *Ulbricht, *Abreu, Danchig-Waring, *Villarini-Vélez, Furlan, Bolden

New Tiler Peck: *Nadon, *Chan, *Mejia, *Bradley, *E. Von Enck

Odesa: Phelan, *Woodward, M. Fairchild, *Danchig-Waring, *Huxley, Ulbricht

3 hours ago, dancefan said:

Week 2 casting, dated 01/16/2024, is posted in the lobby.

The New Combinations evening has

Rotunda: Mearns, M. Miller, *Bologna, *Adams, Woodward, Phelan, *Ulbricht, *Abreu, Danchig-Waring, *Villarini-Vélez, Furlan, Bolden

New Tiler Peck: *Nadon, *Chan, *Mejia, *Bradley, *E. Von Enck

Odesa: Phelan, *Woodward, M. Fairchild, *Danchig-Waring, *Huxley, Ulbricht

Thank you for the update.

Many exciting debuts. Happy for J. Bologna, I think she is an underused talent.

Edited by Fernie M
8 hours ago, abatt said:

Casting is now available on the website for week 2 on the website.

LaFreniere and Kikta seem to be MIA thus far.

There's not a lot of large cast rep in the opening two weeks. Primarily, The Four Season and Times are Racing. No Balanchine whatsoever. I bet there are a lot of dancers we're not seeing. Isn't this the time of year Ashley Laracey once didn't perform for a month?

14 hours ago, abatt said:

LaFreniere would have been perfect casting for Spring in the Four Seasons with Furlan.  Nothing against Olivia M., but she would not be a top choice for such an important role. 

MacKinnon at her best could be great in this, the problem is she doesn’t always bring her best. But maybe this delightful role will bring it out of her. Hoping! I could also see Alexa Maxwell in this role, and agree about LaFreniere.  

14 hours ago, Belka said:

Megan Fairchild posted some rehearsal footage of Ballo della Regina with Anthony Huxley today on Instagram. It's not the disappearing stories either, so you can watch it at your leisure!

I'd love to see Emma Von Enck tackle this role.

Edited by vipa
9 hours ago, vipa said:

I'd love to see Emma Von Enck tackly this role.

Emma can be seen in the background of the video (sitting/watching, not rehearsing), although she could be one of the demi soloists.