This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lincoln center dance week available after first showing?

The website is unclear. It states that he programs will be available for streaming for a limited time but doesn’t give any further details. The programs disappear from the calendar on the website so you can’t find them that way. I found MND on YouTube but I’d like to know for sure that they will all show up there. Can anyone shed light? 

it’s a terrific lineup. I have some other meetings this week. 😟

12 minutes ago, rkoretzky said:

The website is unclear. It states that he programs will be available for streaming for a limited time but doesn’t give any further details. The programs disappear from the calendar on the website so you can’t find them that way. I found MND on YouTube but I’d like to know for sure that they will all show up there. Can anyone shed light? 

it’s a terrific lineup. I have some other meetings this week. 😟

Lincoln Center's twitter account has tweets for the first two programs which include YouTube links (CARMEN.maquia and A Midsummer Night's Dream).  Hopefully they will continue to tweet each program with links to view them. I, too, wasn't able to find anything about how long the non-NYCB programs will be available after they are first streamed. 

1 hour ago, Rosa said:

Lincoln Center's twitter account has tweets for the first two programs which include YouTube links (CARMEN.maquia and A Midsummer Night's Dream).  Hopefully they will continue to tweet each program with links to view them. I, too, wasn't able to find anything about how long the non-NYCB programs will be available after they are first streamed. 

If you go to the listings page, click "learn more" - it varies program to program

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/dance-week

For the ABT mixed bill: Available from Sunday, May 31 at 8:00 pm ET, then for a limited time on demand

For the SAB Workshop: Available from Monday, June 1 at 7:00 pm ET until Friday, June 5 at 7:00 pm ET

For the NYCB Coppelia: Available from Tuesday, June 2 at 8:00 pm ET until Friday, July 17 at 8:00 pm ET

For the Tribute to Balanchine: Available from Wednesday, June 3 at 8:00 pm ET until Saturday, July 18 at 8:00 pm ET

MSND is still on-line, but I don't know for how long: 

Hello, Everyone, I hope you are well.  There is no link on the Lincoln Center at Home website for this ABT 5/21 performance. Glad there is a link here, but does anyone know what the problem is?   And many thanks for posting the link, Dale.   

Edited by KarenAG
need to thank one

32 minutes ago, KarenAG said:

Hello, Everyone, I hope you are well.  There is no link on the Lincoln Center at Home website for this ABT 5/21 performance. Glad there is a link here, but does anyone know what the problem is?   And many thanks for posting the link, Dale.   

They seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent it from being copied or seen again. I hope there are at least a few more opportunities. 

1 hour ago, California said:

They seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent it from being copied or seen again. I hope there are at least a few more opportunities. 

Thank you, California.  

I started searching the ABT 1978 performance  on Youtube on my TV at 7:45. No go, I then went to ABT.org and the LC site.  What a mystery, it's unfindable!  I finally was given a link courtesy of another ballet lover's site that required you to put your email address in and I watched it on computer

Does ABT/Lincoln Center really think people are going to copy it?  Films of a film, come on, we can see that on Youtube now.  We can see the T&V there now.  We can see better versions of Les Sylphides by ABT too. 

I loved T&V especially. What a masterpiece and what a beautiful definitive performance of it by Kirkland and Baryshnikov. It doesn't get any better than that!  I thoroughly enjoyed DQ PdD and the Firebird.  I particularly liked Tcherkassky in Les Sylphides but overall I thought it wasn't a particularly special performance of that work.

Later, after the program was over, I found this link to the Youtube site.  It is totally unclear how long ABT 1978  will be available. On the LC website it says available for a limited time on demand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn45Q4SbiGk&t=209s

2 minutes ago, Marta said:

I started searching the ABT 1978 performance  on Youtube on my TV at 7:45. No go, I then went to ABT.org and the LC site.  What a mystery, it's unfindable!  I finally was given a link courtesy of another ballet lover's site that required you to put your email address in and I watched it on computer

Does ABT/Lincoln Center really think people are going to copy it?  Films of a film, come on, we can see that on Youtube now.  We can see the T&V there now.  We can see better versions of Les Sylphides by ABT too. 

My hunch:  A lot of rights  holders had to agree to this limited release. When it was broadcast in 1978, it didn't occur to people that there was such potential for different forms of distribution. So I'm guessing that one (or more) of the rights holders for this one insisted on very limited release, with these restrictions. 

If you remember back to the very long delay in getting the Makarova-Baryshnikov Giselle released on videotape, that was the explanation at the time. They hadn't anticipated these forms of distribution  and had to get permission from all the rights holders. Ditto the long delay in releasing the tape of Baryshnikov at Wolf Trap, originally broadcast in fall 1976 on PBS to include the opening movement of Push with Tcherkassky and van Hamel (the original cast). This was omitted from the commercial tape released years later, presumably because Tharp was  planning a release of the complete work (although with a different opening cast (Kudo and Jaffe).  And there were reports that Kirkland was resistant to releasing it at all because she was in such terrible physical shape in July 1976; thus her statement at the end as part of the compromise.

@California You are probably right. It's interesting that they posted it "unlisted" on YouTube. I mean, what's the point of making it available, even for a limited time, if people can't find it readily? Lincoln Center's own videos are put up very clearly on its YT channel. Even old Live from Lincoln Center videos. The Midsummer was posted in a similar way as the other NYCB videos for its digital season and even featured an introduction by Jonathan Stafford. It will be interesting to see if the other offerings get put up in similar ways. My guess is the SAB and NYCB will follow form. 

The original broadcast featured backstage interviews. 

This is the way the recording is listed at the NYPL:

Cassette 1 (ca. 72 min. total). Les sylphides (ca. 36 min.) / choreography, Michel Fokine; music, Frédéric Chopin, orchestrated by Benjamin Britten; scenery, Alexandre Benois; lighting, Nananne Porcher; danced by Eleanor D'Antuono, Rebecca Wright, Marianna Tcherkassky, Ivan Nagy, and corps de ballet.
Grand pas de deux from Don Quixote (ca. 15 min.) / choreography after Marius Petipa; music, Leon Minkus; lighting, Nananne Porcher; danced by Natalia Makarova, and Fernando Bujones.
Backstage interviews (ca. 17 min.) with Natalia Makarova, Fernando Bujones, and Erik Bruhn.
Cassette 2 (ca. 93 min. total). Theme and variations (ca. 24 min.) / choreography, George Balanchine; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky; costumes, Desmond Heeley; lighting, Jennifer Tipton; danced by Gelsey Kirkland, Mikhail Baryshnikov, and others.
Backstage interviews (ca. 17 min.) with Gelsey Kirkland and Erik Bruhn.
The firebird (ca. 46 min.) / choreography, Michel Fokine, restaged by Christopher Newton; music, Igor Stravinsky; scenery and costumes, Nathalie Gontcharova; lighting, Nananne Porcher; danced by Cynthia Gregory (the Firebird), John Meehan (Prince Ivan), Marcos Paredes (the immortal Kostchei), Leslie Browne (the Princess), and others.
Cassette 3. Backstage with Live from Lincoln Center [interview with Mikhail Baryshnikov] (c1977; ca. 14 min.) / taped and telecast on June 2, 1977, after a performance of Giselle. Director, Robert Schwarz; producer, John Goberman; interviewer and new introduction: Dick Cavett.

Good day, Everyone. I emailed Lincoln Center and this is what I received: 

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guest Services at Lincoln Center.  I'm sorry that you were not able to get into last night's performance of ABT.  It is still available on our website here:

It is listed in the Dance category.  You will need to enter your email address once you click on "Watch", but once you do, a screen should appear that reads "Thank you, Enjoy the Show".  Once you close that box, the YouTube screen will appear and allow you to play the performance.  

It will be available online for one week, either directly from our YouTube channel or our website.  

Please let us know if you experience any other issues.

Best, 

What’s interesting is that this is available for only one week per the response. But ehen I watched MSND on Sat night, it clearly indicated we could watch it through some date like July 14, which if true is really generous. Did anyone see the same on Sat night? 

Many of us have guessed that NYCB, with all that's happening on the national stage, has chosen to hold their offerings for a later date. And maybe they are choosing to amplify a group such as DTH's offerings as that company is showing its Creole Giselle this week. I would guess (and it's just my opinion) that we'll be seeing those videos (Coppélia, Tribute to Balanchine) later in the month or summer as streaming performances appears to be good fundraisers. 

8 hours ago, Dale said:

Many of us have guessed that NYCB, with all that's happening on the national stage, has chosen to hold their offerings for a later date. And maybe they are choosing to amplify a group such as DTH's offerings as that company is showing its Creole Giselle this week. I would guess (and it's just my opinion) that we'll be seeing those videos (Coppélia, Tribute to Balanchine) later in the month or summer as streaming performances appears to be good fundraisers. 

Thank you, Dale. 

The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater program appears to be going ahead today as originally scheduled.

I do wish Lincoln Center or New York City Ballet had posted some sort of announcement, even if new streaming dates haven't been decided yet.

Yes, I wish Lincoln Center would have made an announcement like, "we're holding other offerings back to shine a brighter spotlight on black artists. Please enjoy the The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater" etc... It would also direct people's attentions to this offering. I guess everything is moving so fast, institutions don't know which way to go. 

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Yes, I wish Lincoln Center would have made an announcement like, "we're holding other offerings back to shine a brighter spotlight on black artists. Please enjoy the The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater" etc... It would also direct people's attentions to this offering. I guess everything is moving so fast, institutions don't know which way to go. 

I agree, but also couldn't NYCB have made the announcement on their site?  It's unclear which organization decided to cancel.

If New York City ballet was trying to do  a good deed in seeking to redirect people to offerings by Alvin Ailey and DTH, as suggested by some of the above posts, this would be the height of arrogance on their part.  It assumes that these companies need NYCB's help in order to attract people to online streams offered by these companies.  Alvin Ailey has a huge following all over the world, and they sure don't need NYCB's help. It also assumes that if people have limited time to watch a free stream, they would automatically pick NYCB, so NYCB must step aside in order to  avoid competing for viewer attention with  Ailey or DTH.   

Edited by abatt

9 hours ago, abatt said:

If New York City ballet was trying to do  a good deed in seeking to redirect people to offerings by Alvin Ailey and DTH, as suggested by some of the above posts, this would be the height of arrogance on their part.  It assumes that these companies need NYCB's help in order to attract people to online streams offered by these companies.  Alvin Ailey has a huge following all over the world, and they sure don't need NYCB's help. It also assumes that if people have limited time to watch a free stream, they would automatically pick NYCB, so NYCB must step aside in order to  avoid competing for viewer attention with  Ailey or DTH.   

These companies actually do speak to one another. And the dance (and performance arts) companies have been sharing ideas about how to deal with the pandemic, and best support the BLM protests, etc. I'm not sure that your assumption of NYCB"s great arrogance would be confirmed by the Ailey company. But they would be the ones to know.

In the social media world right now, there's an enormous amount of shaming and bullying going on with demands for companies to open their pocketbooks and give to the cause, and stop using their media accounts to market their company but rather to become another mouthpiece for the movement. There's a lesser amount of "shut up and listen" comments. And then there's the trolls. Mostly, companies are told to list their donations to the cause and explain how they are allocating resources to be active supporters of the movement. Many of the comments do seem to be placed by "field workers" for 'the cause'.

A separate issue that has arisen: NYCB and other large accounts have been peppered with this kind of comment -

"pls use #blackouttuesday instead of the black lives matter hashtag because all the black squares are burying helpful resources regarding the movement!"

My general response to much of what I'm reading is: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Encouraging words, helpful suggestions, actual teaching moments are few and far between in the social media cloud. It all looks like a virtual shouting match to me. But maybe I just wander into the wrong places...

Edited by pherank

3 minutes ago, pherank said:

But wait! There's more! The latest controversy: NYCB and other large accounts have been peppered with this kind of comment -

"pls use #blackouttuesday instead of the black lives matter hashtag because all the black squares are burying helpful resources regarding the movement!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I saw that comment on a lot of accounts posting black boxes with the BLM hashtag on Tuesday — individual accounts, not just large accounts. Many of those users responded gratefully to the comment, and deleted the hashtag as suggested. I didn't get the sense that they felt they'd been damned either way. Was there a controversy that I wasn't aware of? I thought it was just people sharing a useful tip. Neither the comments nor the account holders' responses seemed impolite or critical.

58 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I saw that comment on a lot of accounts posting black boxes with the BLM hashtag on Tuesday — individual accounts, not just large accounts. Many of those users responded gratefully to the comment, and deleted the hashtag as suggested. I didn't get the sense that they felt they'd been damned either way. Was there a controversy that I wasn't aware of? I thought it was just people sharing a useful tip. Neither the comments nor the account holders' responses seemed impolite or critical.

I edited my statement to have it make more sense (hopefully). My impression is that there's a real feeling of exhaustion in the populous, and the more the noise increases, the more companies and individuals will go quiet, and withdraw to a large degree. As always, it will be up to the marketing and advertising departments to put on a happy, sympathetic face. That's what happened in the late 1960s when 'business dealing with social upheaval' tactics were first born.

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

I saw that comment on a lot of accounts posting black boxes with the BLM hashtag on Tuesday — individual accounts, not just large accounts. Many of those users responded gratefully to the comment, and deleted the hashtag as suggested. I didn't get the sense that they felt they'd been damned either way. Was there a controversy that I wasn't aware of?

I had the same experience as you--none of the posts I saw showed any irritation at being directed to the other hashtag. People found it helpful ... and, in turn, they wanted to be helpful.

I've still been surprised at the degree to which companies and other organizations have felt they need to weigh in on the current protests. But mostly it's been a pleasant surprise. (One of the most strongly worded and explicit statements I read from an arts organization came from Atlanta Ballet--and, in the larger historical and social context, that did not surprise me.)

Social media has its limits for sure, and most of us need a rest from it from time to time. But since (as we all know, even if our views on the situation differ) the current social media "noise" reflects things happening in the 3-D world, it's to be hoped some 3-D changes can still happen...

Edited by Drew

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I had the same experience as you--none of the posts I saw showed any irritation at being directed to the other hashtag. People found it helpful ... and, in turn, they wanted to be helpful.

I didn't mean to imply that companies were upset about hashtag changes. And so as I mentioned earlier, I edited my original post. The issue around which hashtag to use is a very different one from any bullying or shaming comments.

I didn't find any of the comments suggesting the use of more productive hashtags abrasive. I clicked through to the Instagram home pages of the commenters and they seemed to be fairly charming, low-keyed and attractive individuals. 

4 hours ago, Drew said:

it's to be hoped some 3-D changes can still happen...

I'm hoping for that too. And I do feel this time around there is more across-the-board solidarity and that something good might come out of what's happening, now that we all seem to be in the same boat regarding our finances, health issues and painful awareness of social inequity.

I was around in that unfinished year of 1968 of which 2020 is beginning to seem like a reprise. On this day, June 4, as a member of a small student film crew, I was filming Robert Kennedy making his way through crowds of cheering young African Americans in Watts, just as the week before he was standing on the platform of a slowly moving train going through the San Joaquin Valley, waving to dozens and dozens of young Latinos running behind the car and shouting out. So I'm somehow hoping for a fulfillment of those old 1968 inclusionary promises.

And perhaps the ballet world could in some way make use of some of the revitalizing energy going on on the outside right now – it might offer a way forward. Many of the City Ballet Instagram comments called for a roster of dancers that reflected the current demographics in the US (San Francisco Ballet seems to have made greater strides that way). Perhaps fewer Justin Peck ballets about boy meets girl at the high school dance or Balanchine trifles and more serious things like The Four Temperaments or even Serenade or works by Cunningham (who kept a keen eye on what Balanchine was doing). Doesn't seem to be the time to retreat into perfect worlds while everyone is suffering so much.

Now realize that this should have been in another thread but one thing following another ...