This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

12 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised; the Met site's info has often in the past been ahead of ABT's direct info (though not, that I can recall, in terms of revealing a specific guest artist—but it just doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility and seems like the most likely explanation for what you saw).

That's a lot of performances for a guest artist, over a good number of weeks.

Yes, the Met's site is often ahead of ABT's, but this is crazy. A guest artist, and Smirnova to boot, doing that many performances? (Unless, she's joining as a principal.) And, as Princess Tea Flower and Pierrette? At least part of this has to be an error. McKenzie can be heartless, but I can't believe he'd totally remove Abrera. One Corsaire show for Brandt/Lane/Cornejo has also been removed to accommodate Smirnova.

Also, the Met has Teuscher w/ only one SL, on the 29th, and Boylston w/ two. On ABT's site, it's the other way around.

Even Smirnova as Lescaut's mistress is a bit of a head scratcher--not as Manon? I do think she'd make a rather charming Princess Tea Flower and what sometimes can seem all too knowing and almost affected in her dancing actually might fit the ironic retro-decadence of Ratmansky's Whipped Cream.  

But I suspect some of the casting is jumbled.

Has anyone received their brochure for renewal of their Spring subscriptions? I haven't received anything in the mail, but I see that you can renew online. Is this another cost saving measure? I really like to have the whole season laid out in front of me to select performances.

21 minutes ago, angelica said:

Has anyone received their brochure for renewal of their Spring subscriptions? I haven't received anything in the mail, but I see that you can renew online. Is this another cost saving measure? I really like to have the whole season laid out in front of me to select performances.

I haven't received anything (oh, but I believe you mean only for subscription renewals, and I'm not a subscriber).

I did just get an email from them about renewing, the upcoming season, etc. If there were any additional announcements to be made (i.e. Smirnova, more retirements), I'd think they'd be listed in there. But, then again.....

7 hours ago, vendangeuse said:

I was on the Met Opera's website perusing Spring performances today, and curiously, though ABT has said nothing about it (as far as I know) Olga Smirnova is listed dancing with the company in the spring: two performances of Le Corsaire (as Guinare), Manon (as Lescaut's Mistress), Harlequinade (as Pierette) and Whipped Cream (as Princess Tea Flower.)

https://www.metopera.org/season/2019-abt/le-corsaire/

Is this perhaps a mistake on the Met's part? (There are other mistakes—Hee Seo is listed as dancing Prince Desire, for example.) I would be surprised if the Met let slip a Guest Artist before it was officially announced by ABT, but it seems like a difficult error to make accidentally on the Met's part.

It’s strange to have Olga Smirnova as a guest artist dancing essentially secondary roles. Just wondering.

10 minutes ago, bingham said:

It’s strange to have Olga Smirnova as a guest artist dancing essentially secondary roles. Just wondering.

This does seem odd. I can't imagine her name would sell tickets and ABT is bursting with people in all ranks that need opportunities.

It sounds to me like they’ve accidentally put Smirnova’s name where Abrera’s should be. I don’t know how these things work... but Mistress, Tea Flower, Pierette and Gulnare are all Abrera roles. 

Perhaps she is replacing Abrera in a performance of Corsaire and the Met accidentally replaced many more of Abrera’s shows? 

2 minutes ago, BLalo said:

It sounds to me like they’ve accidentally put Smirnova’s name where Abrera’s should be. I don’t know how these things work... but Mistress, Tea Flower, Pierette and Gulnare are all Abrera roles. 

Perhaps she is replacing Abrera in a performance of Corsaire and the Met accidentally replaced many more of Abrera’s shows? 

Interesting thought. Why would she be replacing Abrera in anything so early, it's only Nov.

This makes no sense. I don't think ABT would bother to fill secondary roles with a guest artist. Is it possible Shevchenko is filling in for Abrera for one or more productions and someone at the Met mixed up Smirnova with Shevchenko? I just hope Abrera is okay, and that she's not being Veronika Parted.

Edited to add: The more I look, the more wonky things I notice about the Met site. For the 6/29 Swan Lake, it has both Seo and Teuscher dancing O/O, and both Bell and Stearns dancing Siegfried. Whipped Cream has "TBA" dancing on dates for which actual dancers are assigned. Manon and Corsaire have similar issues where two dancers are assigned to the same role on the same date. Clearly something is very wrong with the site.

Edited by fondoffouettes
7 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

This makes no sense. I don't think ABT would bother to fill secondary roles with a guest artist. Is it possible Shevchenko is filling in for Abrera for one or more productions and someone at the Met mixed up Smirnova with Shevchenko? I just hope Abrera is okay, and that she's not being Veronika Parted.

Clearly something is very wrong with the site.

I hope the issue isn’t because Shevchenko is replacing Abrera in a role or two, because Abrera was assigned so little to begin with, and someone mixed up the names.

Hopefully, this site is fixed soon. I agree - it doesn't make sense to have a guest artist come in for so many roles, and some secondary roles to boot.

Now Gabe Shayer is listed instead of Smirnova for Manon, Whipped Cream and Corsaire [edited to add: also Harlequinade]. The weird double casting of certain roles for those ballets is still appearing. I mean, I'm all for Shayer getting opportunities, but I can't really see him as Princess Tea Flower. 😉

I'm hoping they meant to assign Shayer some of the TBAs for Manon, Whipped Cream and Corsaire.

They also need to fix the spelling of Gulnare and Pierrot.

shayer.png

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

Now Gabe Shayer is listed instead of Smirnova for Manon, Whipped Cream and Corsaire [edited to add: also Harlequinade]. The weird double casting of certain roles for those ballets is still appearing. I mean, I'm all for Shayer getting opportunities, but I can't really see him as Princess Tea Flower. 😉

I'm hoping they meant to assign Shayer some of the TBAs for Manon, Whipped Cream and Corsaire.

They also need to fix the spelling of Gulnare and Pierrot.

shayer.png

LOL! Well, mystery solved!

the website seems to be fixed—on the calendar, I now see Stella in her usual roles (Pierette, Tea Flower, Gulnare, etc). I assume she’ll do lilac fairies as well. I’m so glad we’ll be able to see her this season, I was heart-broken not to see her in the initial casting. 

I’m excited for Jane eyre, which is one of my favorite novels. Also glad the Ratmansky SB is back, and on the Dnieper. I won’t be seeing Harlequinade again, but everything else is something I’ll want to see. 

5 hours ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

the website seems to be fixed—on the calendar, I now see Stella in her usual roles (Pierette, Tea Flower, Gulnare, etc). I assume she’ll do lilac fairies as well. I’m so glad we’ll be able to see her this season, I was heart-broken not to see her in the initial casting. 

I’m excited for Jane eyre, which is one of my favorite novels. Also glad the Ratmansky SB is back, and on the Dnieper. I won’t be seeing Harlequinade again, but everything else is something I’ll want to see. 

Not quite. Shayer is still listed for Gulnare and others. Maybe i need to clear my cache.

Edited by ABT Fan
16 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I don't think anything has been fixed. I tried clearing my browser's cache and also using an incognito tab, but Shayer is still showing up for me in all of Abrera's roles.

Hmm. When I go to stella’s dancer page, her spring roles are all listed now. Also, in the master performance calendar her performances are visible:

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

20 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Hmm. When I go to stella’s dancer page, her spring roles are all listed now. Also, in the master performance calendar her performances are visible:

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

Yes, ABT's site is correct. It's the Met Opera's site that isn't, and what several of us are referencing:

https://www.metopera.org/season/2019-abt/

On 11/5/2018 at 10:41 AM, ABT Fan said:

Yes, ABT's site is correct. It's the Met Opera's site that isn't, and what several of us are referencing:

https://www.metopera.org/season/2019-abt/

The Met site has finally been (partially) fixed. Abrera is back in the four roles that Smirnova and Shayer had temporarily occupied. There are still issues with some roles being double-cast for the same dates, though.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

The Met site has finally been (partially) fixed. Abrera is back in the four roles that Smirnova and Shayer had temporarily occupied. There are still issues with some roles being double-cast for the same dates, though.

I'm relieved that Abrera has been "restored". Am hopeful that Shayer will get some (most) of the male TBA's.