Jump to content
lion

Maria Kochetkova

Recommended Posts

We on the West Coast are going to miss her, but at least we can still follow her on Instagram. I was looking through her instagram for a particular fashion photo and discovered there's a whole subgenre of Maria selfies where's she's in full performance regalia, tutu and all, but flaked out on the floor or couch. I love how down-to-earth these photos are. I saw her in Theme and Variations a few days after she posted this photo and had a greater appreciation for the enormous amount of energy required to dance that piece.

I finally found the photo I was looking for of her wearing impossibly huge unballerina shoes -- great street style!

And then, a recent fashion photo of her in Moscow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, Quinten said:

We on the West Coast are going to miss her, but at least we can still follow her on Instagram. I was looking through her instagram for a particular fashion photo and discovered there's a whole subgenre of Maria selfies where's she's in full performance regalia, tutu and all, but flaked out on the floor or couch. I love how down-to-earth these photos are. I saw her in Theme and Variations a few days after she posted this photo and had a greater appreciation for the enormous amount of energy required to dance that piece.

The best 'diary of a ballet dancer' in existence. You're right that there are various sub-genres/themes that come up from time to time. The "slumped on couch or floor" images are very numerous.

28157507_555560828153626_343332317196346

Here's the "floating in midair" theme:

20213856_295358597534305_353217742773839

There's the neon green coat that appears in many photos. She also wears her Golden State Warriors basketball outfit (or just the shorts) in a number of photos.

20904977_1477056389047624_30015298460408

And of course, the crazy shoes and eye glasses:

11820637_613423445465895_1531035265_n.jp

13150893_481296095328219_59866005_n.jpg

25013824_528109604231295_155964600836580



As far as people are concerned, there are many photos with Sebastien Kloborg, Paul Lightfoot, Daniil Simkin, Joaquin De Luz and Polina Semionova.

18161846_257058204702355_716449369302027

12317467_1077719878927817_2083384839_n.j

11260509_223539611338822_446610541_n.jpg

There are a number of photos of Masha "with funny look on her face" while sitting beside someone else:

11265686_659069017560193_725312994_n.jpg

13687388_290197664673035_409777958_n.jpg

26868442_157946408324910_734017470028840

10251337_1483297215215892_1344915173_n.j

10401810_676489149089887_1746434087_n.jp


A few of my all-time favorites -

'Masha Meets the Alps'
12407228_971434666282916_1654864704_n.jp

Masha at Joshua Tree

15803227_692692400904962_395756138255509

 

Winter - Skodsborg, Denmark

16465808_839533396189148_407733190142826


Masha dressing as Yayoi Kusama with Henry the Lion


11258258_1669994909879304_1175911867_n.j

 

The Academy New York

18382610_2275272296031483_90400795014295

 

Masha at Alcatraz Island for Ai Weiwei art exhibit

10809680_938227352871819_1803989560_n.jp

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post

Wonderful, thanks for those! 

-d-

Share this post


Link to post

I added a few more favorites in above. Another theme (that I appreciate) are her snapshots with a skewed orientation, a la Aleksandr Rodchenko:

12142556_840574496040053_963912196_n.jpg

17438193_268110666967217_709616617499970

12224255_1484596471844215_938200009_n.jp

 

15258798_328894997496492_342739666685080

Share this post


Link to post

Press release from THE NORWEGIAN NATIONAL OPERA & BALLET

Maria Kochetkova to star with the The Norwegian National Ballet

 

One of the world’s leading ballerinas will be dancing with The Norwegian National Ballet from next season.

 

– There is no doubt that Maria Kochetkova is one of the world’s leading ballerinas and she is a unique artist with a distinctive style. It is really a feather in our cap that she has chosen to dance with our company, says Ballet Director Ingrid Lorentzen.

 

Maria Kochetkova was awarded with the Positano Prize as “Ballerina of the Year” in 2017. She will now become principal guest artist with The Norwegian National Ballet and will this autumn dance the leading roles in Manon and Swan Lake in Oslo.

I’m looking forward to be performing with The Norwegian National Ballet in some of their productions next season including Manon which has always been a dream of mine, says Kochetkova.

 

The Russian Maria Kochetkova has danced with some of the biggest and most renowned companies including: The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and most recently she was a principal with San Francisco Ballet. She has also guested companies and stages around the world. She is known for taking on the big classical roles as well as working with choreographers on new pieces. She is a major profile known also for her sense of style and has been involved in both music- and design videos. Just last week she was awarded the Positano Benois-Massine Prize, her most recent of a long line of international awards.

Share this post


Link to post

She certainly choses beautiful places.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Fosca said:

One of the world’s leading ballerinas will be dancing with The Norwegian National Ballet from next season.

I wouldn't have guessed this one. But she will be close to her relatives in Russia.

Share this post


Link to post

Masha finally posted a reference to her new arrangement:

Season 2018/19
"I’m looking forward to be performing with Norwegian National Ballet @operaen_ in some of their productions next season including Manon which has always been a dream of mine."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOlxbYh0wX/?taken-by=balletrusse

"Some of" makes it sound like this is a special arrangement - she may get to be choosy about what she participates in. I also wonder if in 2020 she'll spend the season with a different company…

 

Share this post


Link to post

It's still mystifying to me why she left SFB. She was able to be a principal with ABT & SFB and amazingly enough do guesting, so it seems she was able to do lots of other things while at SFB. I guess I'll never know. I only saw her at ABT and liked her - didn't love her, but she is an exceptionally accomplished dancer. I hope she finds what she is looking for at this stage i her career.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, vipa said:

It's still mystifying to me why she left SFB. She was able to be a principal with ABT & SFB and amazingly enough do guesting, so it seems she was able to do lots of other things while at SFB. I guess I'll never know. I only saw her at ABT and liked her - didn't love her, but she is an exceptionally accomplished dancer. I hope she finds what she is looking for at this stage i her career.

If you think about it, this is the perfect time to make a major change:

Physically she's at her peak, and she's developed an international reputation.
She's 34 years old.
Her favorite partners at SFB and ABT have retired or moved on.
Her marriage seems to have ended.
Her best friends and new favored dance partners seem to be located in Europe.
Her close family in Russia are not young, and I think she wants to be able to spend more time with them.

I don't think there were any hard feelings about leaving SFB - it was just something she needed to do. However, I'm pretty sure it wasn't her idea to leave ABT. The New York audience just didn't care enough, her good friend Daniil Simkin was leaving for Berlin, and the ABT senior staff has been under a lot of pressure to promote in-house dancers (for good reason). I think they wanted that principal position back. It's a hard business.

I've followed her career long enough to know a couple of things about Masha: she's not one to keep banging her head against the wall if something isn't working - she just moves on to something that does work. And, she never forgets the people who helped her along the way - she's very loyal to them. Masha won't forget how Tomasson helped to develop her career. But it's been 11 years and now is the best time to make a move as she's not getting any younger. I wish her good fortune.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, pherank said:

If you think about it, this is the perfect time to make a major change:

Physically she's at her peak, and she's developed an international reputation.
She's 34 years old.
Her favorite partners at SFB and ABT have retired or moved on.
Her marriage seems to have ended.
Her best friends and new favored dance partners seem to be located in Europe.
Her close family in Russia are not young, and I think she wants to be able to spend more time with them.

I don't think there were any hard feelings about leaving SFB - it was just something she needed to do. However, I'm pretty sure it wasn't her idea to leave ABT. The New York audience just didn't care enough, her good friend Daniil Simkin was leaving for Berlin, and the ABT senior staff has been under a lot of pressure to promote in-house dancers (for good reason). I think they wanted that principal position back. It's a hard business.

I've followed her career long enough to know a couple of things about Masha: she's not one to keep banging her head against the wall if something isn't working - she just moves on to something that does work. And, she never forgets the people who helped her along the way - she's very loyal to them. Masha won't forget how Tomasson helped to develop her career. But it's been 11 years and now is the best time to make a move as she's not getting any younger. I wish her good fortune.

That all make sense, and she certainly has an international reputation to draw upon. I am one of those New Yorkers who never really warmed to her, but I admired her dancing and am sure she will be very successful.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×