This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maria Kochetkova

lion

Maria Kochektokova will be performing at the Joyce Theater, New York, July 16 - 21, 2019.

“One of the 21st century’s most sought-after ballerinas” (Dance Magazine), Maria Kochetkova—who recently departed from San Francisco Ballet—takes the stage in a production all her own, accompanied by friends from top ballet companies. The program includes works by Itzik Galili, Drew Jacoby, David Dawson, and Myles Thatcher. Additionally, the conceptual dance maker Jérôme Bel offers audiences a glimpse into Kochetkova’s inner world, with a poetic new solo inspired by this remarkable dancer’s life, now cracked wide open.

http://www.joyce.org/performances/maria-kochetkova

19 hours ago, vipa said:

Interesting. I wonder how the ballet as a whole went. I found this little segment lacking in both musicality and clarity. 

I generally found her dancing lacking in any musical phrasing and musicality in the many times I saw her with San Francisco Ballet.  Though others greatly admire her, for me, she was  one-note, had two facial expressions, tension in her hands and neck, and her dancing was not interesting to watch and I would find my attention veering off to watch someone else on stage. I did enjoy her dancing during her first two years with SFB, then her apparent overstressing of technique became prioritized over her initial lyricism and incipient artistry during her first seasons and she often danced "tired."    I once saw her "Russianize" the second movement of Symphony in C, and I was groaning at the liberties taken where some of the steps were subtly changed and danced to a ponderous tempo. This clip is interesting because her arms are freer than they were a year ago, but the dancing lacks crispness as a whole for this segment of Theme and Variations.  But perhaps this is just a stage rehearsal.  

Kochetkova with Christopher Wheeldon at a Royal Albert Hall performance of his Cinderella...

"With Chris aka my Fairy godmother of many years after the performance last night. Thank you for your trust one more time and thank you @rojotamara for inviting me to share this beautiful production with you. It was my come back to @royalalberthall after 12 years. It’s amazing to still see so many familiar faces. 12 yers ago I danced my last show with @englishnationalballet and I was one of 60 swans on stage"

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByfsPH0hxJX/

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, nanushka said:

I deleted her in one of my feed purges (just to keep things streamlined) after she left ABT. Totally following her again after seeing this!

;)
Say what you will about her dancing, but MK has the most comprehensive online image diary of any dancer. And the photos are often very entertaining and well composed. It's a wonderful document of the life and interests of a ballet dancer.

49279446_1072957836219843_55487789626775

19 minutes ago, pherank said:

😉
Say what you will about her dancing, but MK has the most comprehensive online image diary of any dancer. And the photos are often very entertaining and well composed. It's a wonderful document of the life and interests of a ballet dancer.

Such an interesting comment. Does this mean she is an online media artist as well as a ballet dancer? I look at those things as parallel not additive. I wouldn't buy a ticket to see her dance because of her social media commentary. There is nothing here which would make me think she'd be a wonderful Odette/Odile (which I've seen and found lacking.) One of my favorite NYCB dancers, Sterling Hyltin, barely has a social media footprint.  Perhaps this should be a different discussion unto itself.

25 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I assumed from “Say what you will about her dancing, but...” that @pherank would agree the two talents are best assessed independently.

Yes, two different talents, but one may inform the other.

As to Vipa's comment: "Does this mean she is an online media artist...?" I hadn't really thought about it in those terms, but I think she is a new media diarist. I suppose that could be thought of as some type of art. MK's text statements accompanying the photos and videos are quite terse though, so she doesn't seem to think her own commentary is so important. But the visual display certainly must be.

20 hours ago, pherank said:

😉

Who are the men, Pherank ?

9 hours ago, pherank said:

Here's the original post, Buddy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsfQ-bTl4IG/

Третьяковская галерея на Крымском валу
Tretyakov Gallery on Krymsky Val
MK's comment: "with Kukryniks artists" [sic]

You can read about the three Kukryniksy artists/cartoonists here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukryniksy

Thanks, Pherank.

I'm on my way out the door, but I'll read these when I get back.

The Traveling Ballerina has posted the casting and choreographer information for Kochetkova's Joyce Theater appearances (the Joyce Theater website doesn't have this information yet).  A few San Francisco friends perform as well.

Program Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq3T0ecWYdI

Maria Kochetkova: Catch Her If You Can

BACH DUET (from NEW SUITE)
Choreographer: William Forsythe
Dancers: Maria Kochetkova, Sebastian Kloborg

PAINTING GREYS
Choreographer: Myles Thatcher
Dancer: Carlo Di Lanno

TUÉ
Choreographer: Marco Goecke
Dancer: Drew Jacoby

DEGUNINO
Choreographer: Marcos Morau
Dancer: Maria Kochetkova

SWAN LAKE PAS DE DEUX
Choreographer: David Dawson
Dancers: Sofiane Sylve, Carlo Di Lanno

RACHEL, NEVADA
Choreographer: Drew Jacoby
Dancers: Maria Kochetkova, Drew Jacoby

AT THE END OF THE DAY

MASHA MACHINE
Choreographer: Jérôme Bel

July 16 @ 7:30pm
July 17 @ 7:30pm
July 18 @ 8:00pm
July 19 @ 8:00pm
July 20 @ 2:00pm
July 20 @ 8:00pm
July 21 @ 2:00pm

22 hours ago, pherank said:

The Traveling Ballerina has posted the casting and choreographer information for Kochetkova's Joyce Theater appearances (the Joyce Theater website doesn't have this information yet).  A few San Francisco friends perform as well.

PAINTING GREYS

TUÉ

DEGUNINO

SWAN LAKE PAS DE DEUX

RACHEL, NEVADA

AT THE END OF THE DAY

MASHA MACHINE

Thank you for posting!

On 6/26/2019 at 4:06 PM, pherank said:

PAINTING GREYS

TUÉ

DEGUNINO

SWAN LAKE PAS DE DEUX

RACHEL, NEVADA

AT THE END OF THE DAY

MASHA MACHINE

I saw the performance last night. The excerpts are very, very, very short, and don’t leave much of an impression (perhaps because we’re only getting the smallest taste — the tapas approach to programming an evening doesn’t leave me full). Jerome Bel’s “Masha Machine” is haunting, but is less dance, more incisive theater/multimedia.

Brian Seibert’s Times review exactly captures my feelings on this program: mostly forgettable, despite killer performances by dancers like Sylve and Jacoby, with a punch in the stomach at the end.

3 hours ago, tutu said:

I saw the performance last night. The excerpts are very, very, very short, and don’t leave much of an impression (perhaps because we’re only getting the smallest taste — the tapas approach to programming an evening doesn’t leave me full). Jerome Bel’s “Masha Machine” is haunting, but is less dance, more incisive theater/multimedia.

Brian Seibert’s Times review exactly captures my feelings on this program: mostly forgettable, despite killer performances by dancers like Sylve and Jacoby, with a punch in the stomach at the end.

Thanks very much for the comments, Tutu. I'm glad someone from the forum was able to attend.

If only Seibert had dug deeper into the situation with his analysis because the issue is a big one for the ballet and contemporary dance world:
Having to act as 'curator' to express oneself artistically is a tricky business. Any dancer having to rely upon other artist's choreography to present a program of 'personal' work is laboring under a disadvantage.

I know that Kochektkova specifically chose choreographers of the present day, and preferably new pieces to perform, which is always a risk. Chances are, there's going to be forgettable choreography in there somewhere, and not a seamless interweaving of masterpieces resulting in an organic whole.

Seibert seems to think that the program primarily expresses something about Kochetkova, but Kochetkova's own descriptions of the Joyce Theater program reveal that she wanted to represent contemporary ballet in 2019, and not focus solely on herself. The Jérôme Bel piece may be biographical, but I bet that was his choice and not hers. Obviously the choices made reflect something about Maria Kochetkova, but it's pretty much impossible for the choreographers to avoid expressing there own world view - and artistic impressions and preferences - in their choreography (and then there's the costume designs which also involve choices make by a third party). So the dancers involved can only do so much: they perform the pieces, but is it fair to say that these individual ballets are the expression of these dancers? Whose artistic vision is being presented? One or many?

I can understand why the program ends up being a lot of short pieces - it can't be too taxing a performance or Kochektkova would risk not making it through the program run.  ;)
But then you get a gala program which never feels very "full".