This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Report: Nilas Martins arrested

The Post has been having trouble determining the master-in-chief's character. The other day, the adjective of choice was "imperious," bringing to mind someone domineering or even dictatorial. At least "mercurial" has connotations of "the artistic temperament." I think of Orson Welles's "Mercury Radio Theater."

My Thesaurus describes 'mercurial' as 'bubbleheaded' :cool:

My Thesaurus describes 'mercurial' as 'bubbleheaded' :cool:

On the other hand:

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006

1. changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.

2. animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.

3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury.

4. of or pertaining to the god Mercury.

5. of or pertaining to the planet Mercury.

–noun

6. Pharmacology. a preparation of mercury used as a drug.

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME < L mercuriālis of, pertaining to the god or planet Mercury. See mercury, -al1]

—Related forms

mer·cu·ri·al·ly, adverb

mer·cu·ri·al·ness, mer·cu·ri·al·i·ty, noun

—Synonyms 1. inconstant, indecisive. 2. spirited.

—Antonyms 1. constant, steady. 2. phlegmatic.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Or one of those Greek gods. Does it really matter which?

LOL. I always suspect that papers like the NY Post have software that automatically attaches a random adjective to any public figure's name in the event the reporter forgot one.

Or one of those Greek gods. Does it really matter which?

Yes, because, according to a Classics Scholar friend, Mercury was extraordinarily attractive as well as Apollo, and yet not that much attention has been given to fleshing a Mercury figure out. Peter Martins is too identified with Apollo to seem like Mercury per se, although he is obviously 'mercurial' in some ways. Nikolaj Hubbe is convincing to me as Apollo, although maybe, being shorter, he ought to begin to embody a Mercury while he's still got what it takes. And I know what MacAuley was talking about in his cruel comparisons, what with alternating Hubbe and Nilas--although most aren't going to go quite that far: Macauley is quite good, I see. On the other side--the eternal, fleshless one--there are Poseidon and Hermes, not necessarily great beauties; and I suppose these are in plenty of dances both in ballet, Martha Graham and elsewhere, but Apollo seems to stand out. However, it would have been unrealistic to expect the Post to know to describe Peter Martins as 'the ballet's Apollonian master-in-chief', for many, many reasons. I'd like to see Aphrodite in a ballet in which her Homeric persona as a 'weaker goddess', by comparison to Artemis and Athena, is brought out. I don't think that's been done. I know that this is :cool: , but so is almost everybody else by now.

But then again, anyone who's worked with pure mercury knows what it's like to try to get hold of. Perhaps the journalists were trying to get a direct comment from Peter as company balletmaster-in-chief and father of the alleged perp, and were told that he's in New York/Copenhagen/London/Paris/Chicago/Reno/Puyallup.

The Post has been having trouble determining the master-in-chief's character. The other day, the adjective of choice was "imperious," bringing to mind someone domineering or even dictatorial. At least "mercurial" has connotations of "the artistic temperament." I think of Orson Welles's "Mercury Radio Theater."

Mercurial as a descriptive character adjective, means to me elusive, unable to hold or pin down as when you try to hold Mercury in your hand it always runs off onto the table or floor. However there are other interpretations relating to the god Mercury which start with having the characteristics of eloquence, shrewdness, swiftness and another attribute I would not wish to mention.

Perhaps the journalists were trying to get a direct comment from Peter as company balletmaster-in-chief and father of the alleged perp, and were told that he's in New York/Copenhagen/London/Paris/Chicago/Reno/Puyallup.

He's one clever Dane, knowing that in the Pacific Northwest he could blend into the Scandinavian landscape...

Does anyone know who danced Apollo for Nilas?

Any reports would be welcome. :)

Charles Askegard

Was that his first time doing it with NYCB? I don't recall him dancing the ballet with the company before. If this was his company debut, then there's a silver lining to all the commotion, as someone new got to dance this prized male role. If only it had been Evans.....

-amanda

According to the NY Times, if the Saratoga Police wish to do so, they may now re-open the case and arrest Amar. Why on earth did this lawyer put Amar at such risk? One would think that Amar and Nilas, sitting in a car together, were friends (didn't Amar dance with one of Nilas' pick-up companies?)? What kind of friendship is that?

More important, what can Amar's future with the company be, now that Nilas has (indirectly) exposed him (a kid from the South Bronx) to prosecution? Can Amar work for Nilas' father? If the implication is that he is a drug user, who will hire him to dance? To teach?

I find those statements unconscionable. The whole situation is abysmal.

According to the NY Times, . . .
According to the AP, actually. I think it's an important distinction.
Dancer Pleads Guilty in Cocaine Case

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: August 9, 2007 Filed at 12:44 p.m. ET

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (AP) -- A principal dancer with the New York City Ballet pleaded guilty Thursday to cocaine-related charges, but says he has never used drugs and was protecting another person.

According to the article in the New York Times, there is no case against the passenger, identified previously as Ramasar, unless either the attorney or Martins tells city police this information. Since Jones, the lawyer, made the allegations "outside court," the case can't be re-opened solely on this basis.

Martins' lawyer is responsible to Martins, not his passenger. Whether Jones' statement will help Martins's reputation is to be seen. I found it noteworthy that unlike previous press reports predicting the terms of the deal, there is no rehab involved in the sentence.

I don't understand why Martins would do such a monumental thing as take the fall for that other person in the car and then his lawyer spoils that sacrifice by broadcasting it to the press. Now that person he pled guilty to protect is going to fall under intense scrutiny. :blink: I don't get it.

So far as I know, the Saratoga Springs Police Dept., the Saratoga County Sheriff, and the local barracks of the State Police have no one named Javert on the force.

Let's look at what we've got here

• A defendant with no prior record
  • The actual charge is a misdemeanor
  • The defendant occupies a prominent and beneficial place in the community
  • The defendant was co-operative
  • The passenger whatever his identity, could be charged with loitering to purchase
  • That's a violation
  • Martins might be accused of misprision of a violation or more seriously, obstructing an investigation
  • Both of those are violations - too much trouble to prosecute for little return.

One would think that Amar and Nilas, sitting in a car together, were friends (didn't Amar dance with one of Nilas' pick-up companies?)? What kind of friendship is that?

Perhaps one that will inadvertently spur Amar to seek help if he needs it, or to at least forgo something which could limit or destroy his career.

And speaking of the unforeseeably poignant, if you own a copy of Martins pere's "Far from Denmark," turn to the first page of the Introduction and note the photo to the left.