This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Report: Nilas Martins arrested

[ADMIN BEANIE ON]

Please remember the board rules when responding to this article. If there is news or speculation that hasn't been published, please don't post about it here.

[ADMIN BEANIE OFF]

I wish Nilas a quick, fair and compassionate resolution to this predicament.

Isn't that making an assumption that there are other dancers similarly addicted?

::Donning Mod's Beanie::

Yes, and doesn't the word "other" deny Nilas his presumption of innocence? Let's be careful here.

Thanks!

::Doffing Mod's Beanie::

I hope Nilas gets whatever help necessary to get through these trying times.

and I hope that Nilas will take responsibility for his actions and problem (should one exist). It's quite sad, considering the ambitious schedule announced for Nilas' new company. (I know there's a thread on the board, but not sure where it is.)

This information was in the Police Beat section of the paper on Wednesday, and is a front page headline article in today's Saratogian.

Substance abuse is nothing new in this company or any other, and it continues to be an issue.

The company performed beautifully, despite very wet conditions..

I'll try to post here when schedule allows: soon I hope.

Isn't that making an assumption that there are other dancers similarly addicted?

::Donning Mod's Beanie::

Yes, and doesn't the word "other" deny Nilas his presumption of innocence? Let's be careful here.

Thanks!

::Doffing Mod's Beanie::

Similarly, possession does not involve a presumption of "addiction." Let's wait for the facts to emerge -- and take special care with our choice of words.

i wrote something here that i was not happy with so i've removed it.

no problem then if it's all right with you.

Mod's note: That settled, for readers' ease and comfort, here is the deleted copy:

I would go so far as to say that substance abuse is nothing new in any segment of any population and that to intimate drug use in any particular place specifically is in many ways both an invasion of privacy and pointless speculation.

Moderators if that is too harsh please feel free to edit or make it disappear.

Edited by carbro
This information was in the Police Beat section of the paper on Wednesday, and is a front page headline article in today's Saratogian.

Substance abuse is nothing new in this company or any other, and it continues to be an issue.

The company performed beautifully, despite very wet conditions..

I'll try to post here when schedule allows: soon I hope.

I would go so far as to say that substance abuse is nothing new in any segment of any population and that to intimate drug use in any particular place specifically is in many ways both an invasion of privacy and pointless speculation.

Moderators if that is too harsh please feel free to edit or make it disappear.

Not at all harsh, Mme. Hermine. Exactly to the point.

Was anyone else as surprised as I was by the information that Nilas is forty years old?

No, Farrell Fan, because I only read Peter Martins's book 2 years ago, and recall that early on, not quite 20 he says 'I wanted to be a father.' I thought that was unusual for someone already living in a very disciplined environment such as the Royal Danish Ballet. So that by the time we find him first appearing at NYCB, and doing those first few performances with Farrell, he's been a father for some years already while still quite young. In any case, it may be nothing unusual, but I often thought about it because he did not explain it in any detail when he was talking about his early marriage.

Now that I think about it, yes, before I read the book I did think Nilas was younger, perhaps 5 years younger.

i can't say i'd ever thought much about how old he was, but given his dad's age and that he seems to have been the child of peter's youth, it not too surprising. that number has quite a punch in print, though, doesn't it?

I had that same reaction. One knew he was about that age, of course, but seeing the big four-oh in print did stand out for some reason.

Anyone know what Felony Possession is? I believe NYS has minimum sentencing (Rockefeller drug laws).

I hope Nilas gets whatever help necessary to get through these trying times.

I would suggest a really, really good defense attorney, the NYS drug laws are a prosecutor's dream, and precedent has made them very, very easy to convict on.

The lowest applicable law in this case would be "possession in the fifth degree", which carries a prison term of not more than seven years; there is no minimum sentence by statute. It's a D felony, and 500 milligrams is the minimum amount required to establish guilt. Sentencing guidelines are largely by precedent, and the draconian level of punishments has a significant number of state legislators concerned about the overcrowding of prisons thanks to the Rockefeller Drug Laws.