This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Report: Nilas Martins arrested

I was very suprised to see the wednesday Saratogian, as well as today's Times Union, print what is apparently his home address. As he's not been convicted of anything I found it shocking that such information would be published in the local paper. Today's Saratogian front page above-the-fold headline certainly seems to be going for the sensationalist approach, and they are listing "intent to sell" which I did not see in any other articles (and did not hear when the story came up on the radio this morning on my way to dance- this news really seems to be spreading!). I believe that's still covered under 5th degree possession, but I don't know if that would be likely to affect sentencing if there is a conviction. I'd hate to see him locked away for the rest of the time he has on stage if he gets one of the harsher sentences.

I missed seeing him in Apollo last night. As I obviously don't know the full situation I hope he gets his name cleared or gets help if necessary, and I wish for a quick return to the stage as the Saratoga season is so short.

The Saratogian and Times Union have little readership (as a rule) outside their small markets. It may not have occurred to the police reporters or their editors that, in this electronic age, word would spread fast and wide, and some details might not be absolutely necessary.

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/cji/4-Former...5/220-06(1).pdf

Here's a link describing the charge, which must mean that 'intent to sell' just is part of the way the law is written. I wouldn't have known that any sort of 'possession' automatically included 'intent to sell', since it doesn't follow logically, outside of how it must follow logically within the way the law is written. Obviously, in a 'not guilty' plea, the accused does not say anything as far along as that particular intent; so that even if the basic charge of possession turns out to be true (we may know something by tomorrow, maybe not), it's hard to imagine there being a literal 'intent to sell' in whatever transpired.

Somewhere in Manhattan there is a hotshot criminal attorney whose daughter's braces, as well as her first two years of college, are now paid for.

If it goes to Jury trial, he would want a local lawyer to defend him. Upstate is considered the poorest state in the nation. There is a lot of animosity to "down-staters" The Manhattan lawyers can work behind the scenes.

I suspect a plea bargain will be arranged, Saratoga needs the jobs NYCB brings each summer. Last thing Saratoga needs is reputation of artist harassment.

The key to a plea bargain is to keep it out of the papers, Paris Hilton went to jail due to her name and publicity.

A half gram of cocaine is the equivalent of about half a packet of Sweet 'n Low. The idea of anyone in possession of that small amount with intent to sell is ludicrous.

There were two people in the car. Down the line it may (or may not) become clear who was the owner of the packet. But, under New York State's Nelson Rockefeller era laws, that doesn't matter. It is the owner of the "property" (in this case the vehicle) who is held responsible.

I think it's very interesting that, given the absence of any solid news on the topic, and our culture (on BT) of no unsanctioned/unofficial/unattributed/etc statements, we are fixing on the minutae of the possible legal penalties for that particular crime.... when, I suspect, we'd really like to be discussing what really happened, is he guilty, from whence came this habit, (if it is one) and most important, what will happen to him, his father, the company, his role in the company, etc. etc. (And let it be known henceforth that I do not wish ill to any of the above.)

I know it's true for me....I am just bursting with questions.

However, I know from past experience (the Saratoga SLAP, so to speak) that our interpretations, hopes, superimpositions, wonderings, and fears can all turn out to be more than miles away from the truth. And I wonder if that will ever come out. :lightbulb:

I think it's very interesting that. . . , we are fixing on the minutae of the possible legal penalties for that particular crime.... when, I suspect, we'd really like to be discussing what really happened, is he guilty, from whence came this habit, (if it is one) and most important, what will happen. . .

I know it's true for me....I am just bursting with questions.

Absolutely, and I'm sure e-mails are flying in all directions and phone calls doing whatever their equivalent is. But please keep in mind the extremely public nature of this forum, and the ease with which someone's speculation, perhaps written a bit too hastily, can seem like a statement of fact and zip through the worldwide web.

Again, I urge caution.

Thanks.

The Saratogian, and to a larger extent, the Times-Union are habituated to reporting the peccadillos of various and sundry state legislators and department heads, and publishing their addresses so that the constituents can give the accused hell. We have to remember that the Rocky drug laws are actually badly written. Possession 5 goes straight to Possession 7 because Possession 6 was found unconstitutional! I know a couple of very conservative judges who consider the Rocky laws shackles on juries and themselves, and they can't be alone.

No matter how the law is slanted, let's remember that an accused is innocent unless and until proved guilty.

Nilas entered a Not Guilty plea and will not perform for the remainder of the Saratoga season, according to the PostStar of Glens Falls, NY:

The attorney for New York City Ballet dancer Nilas Martins said he will be seeking an adjournment of his client ’s case until the conclusion of test results at a State Police lab.

. . .

"The company regards this as a private, though serious, matter, "the [company's official] statement reads. "Consistent with company policy, Mr. Martins will not be appearing in upcoming performances in Saratoga."

A crucial element in the level of seriousness of the charges against Martins is the amount of "pure weight" of the controlled substance that is in the white powder, said Saratoga County District Attorney James Murphy III.

Felony charges, punishable by up to seven years in jail, are applicable to "pure" weight measures of one-half gram or above; a misdemeanor charge applies to lesser amounts.

Sadly enough, the aforementioned article ends this way:

Court records show Amar Ramasar as a person who was interviewed regarding the case. Police would neither confirm nor deny whether Ramasar was in the car with Martins at the time, or whether he is the dancer with the same name listed on the NYCB Web site.

i disagree, i think that's jumping the gun. he hasn't been implicated and i think it's a misstatement to assume that anyone would make him suffer either directly or indirectly. let's put it this way: would you hold it against him? would you look at him differently? would you tell people not to go to his performances? would you assume the new york city ballet would make him suffer in terms of casting or anything else in a situation where he had done nothing? if they did he would have a cause of action against his employer. as in everything, as long as he behaves himself honorably he shouldn't be subject to such speculation. and sometimes the temptation to imply can be as poisonous as the reality since some seem to find it so seductive.

not to mention that right now, for instance, nilas martins is suffering and he hasn't been proven guilty of anything yet! so i'm naive,...but that's the case.

why is that sad to you? he isn't accused or charged.

Because it can't be a positive thing for him or his career (at least in the short run) to be associated with the situation.

And after all, "Police would neither confirm nor deny whether Ramasar is the dancer with the same name listed on the NYCB Web site." For all we know, there are a dozen or more Amar Ramasars in Saratoga at this time.

Sorry to inject the above note of levity, but only a police mentality would make a statement so cautious.

:dunno: Sorry to be politically incorrect but Nilas Martins of late has struck me as being a rather bland dancer with a stodgy physique, cocaine causes weight loss and euphoria and manic behavior. I have seen no evidence of its use on his dancing!!!
:dunno: Sorry to be politically incorrect but Nilas Martins of late has struck me as being a rather bland dancer with a stodgy physique, cocaine causes weight loss and euphoria and manic behavior. I have seen no evidence of its use on his dancing!!!

A brilliant defense! "Of course he's innocent, just watch him dance!"

Somewhere in Manhattan there is a hotshot criminal attorney whose daughter's braces, as well as her first two years of college, are now paid for.

If it goes to Jury trial, he would want a local lawyer to defend him. Upstate is considered the poorest state in the nation. There is a lot of animosity to "down-staters" The Manhattan lawyers can work behind the scenes.

Right you are. He picked an Albany lawyer. http://www.esjlaw.com/toc.htm

...."Police would neither confirm nor deny whether Ramasar is the dancer with the same name listed on the NYCB Web site." For all we know, there are a dozen or more Amar Ramasars in Saratoga at this time. ....

:dunno::huh::rofl: LOL! Nice to find a bit of levity in the middle of a serious situation. "The-Amar-Who-Is-a-Dancer" happens to be a special fave of mine. Ouch...

Right you are. He picked an Albany lawyer. http://www.esjlaw.com/toc.htm

UGH! A PI Lawyer?! He will need a criminal defense attorney! I guess the Manhattan lawyers will take the train up to defend the accused. PI lawyers are VERY good at jury selection.