This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

AOL On: Cityballet.comexecutive produced by Sarah Jessica Parker

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

You can sign up for notification when this new video series goes "live" on the AOL On site: http://on.aol.com/cityballet

It seems to be free, sponsored by Citibank.

Parker was at the NYCB Friends Luncheon last February and showed some clips of this very interesting series about the lives of NYCB dancers. (As readers of this site know, of course, she is a member of the NYCB Board.)

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I wonder if it's geo-blocked, because when I click the link, the URL resolves to on.aol.ca and a message that the page cannot be found, and when I try to correct the URL (change ".ca" to ."com") it won't let me.

#3 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

I wonder if it's geo-blocked, because when I click the link, the URL resolves to on.aol.ca and a message that the page cannot be found, and when I try to correct the URL (change ".ca" to ."com") it won't let me.

Darn! I wonder if there are copyright issues with the other content on that site. I found out about it from an NYCB Twitter:

New York City Ballet @nycballet 19m

The city.ballet. AOL On showpage is live. Subscribe for latest news incl official launch date: http://cityballet.com  pic.twitter.com/TDqk3sWV5Y

#4 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

I saw the trailer, Helene -- it came through in California. Very sketchy, some nice flashes of rond dejambes,  a pirouette with a VERY turned-out passe, Darci teaching, some of the boring things dancers say.... Doesn't mean the series won't be good. 

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thank you for the recap, Paul.

In this case, the "ca" is for Canada :)

#6 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I had the same problem (from Toronto) linking to the URL given on NYCB's facebook page, but when I try this one, it works"
http://on.aol.com/sh...887470/episodes

However, it tells me to click "Subscribe" if I want to be alerted when the first episode is available and I can't find a
"subscribe" button anywhere.

#7 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

However, it tells me to click "Subscribe" if I want to be alerted when the first episode is available and I can't find a
"subscribe" button anywhere.

It's an itty bitty link under the text, next to the Facebook and Twitter badges. (I spent a long time looking for it too.)

#8 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

The episodes are now up:

http://on.aol.com/sh...isode/517995636

#9 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've been watching this from Europe and it's coming in fine. I'll do something that I normally wouldn't. I'm writing this without yet seeing the ending. The reason is that I don't want to rush through any of it so that I can comment. This is a very sympathetic and comprehensive documentary that I would definitely recommend viewing.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

NYCB has been re-tweeting up a storm about it.

#11 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

I feel like it is all about the human interest and sociology of dancing... I don't see much love of a phrase of choreography beyond 7 counts, but then maybe that is true of dancers? That they love the dancing more than the dance itself?

However, those short bytes of dance are extremely appetizing... Very well put together and very watchable...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that some future episode goes beyond the artistry to the art.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

What gives the impression that they don't like long phrases? If it's what is shown, that's more an issue of editing.

#13 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

NYCB has been re-tweeting up a storm about it.

Rave comments, totally justified, about a *Heart-Warming* series.  flowers.gif

https://twitter.com/nycballet

#14 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Yes, I meant the editing... masterful editing, truly, the show is eyecandy throughout,... I am sure there are dancers at NYCB because of the fantastic repertoire... We have heard it elsewhere... Maybe this was about introducing us to the dancers and the next will show more than a quick glimpse of the repertoire that inspires them? This could almost been about some other company. I saw plenty of dancing but not much dance... And this talented creative crew could give us that beautifully when they decide they want to do it. Maybe they were working within legal limits of how much choreography vould be shown?

#15 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

Does anyone know what kind of license they have to show choreography - especially Balanchine's and Robbins'? It's possible that they're keeping these clips short because they're not allowed to show more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):