This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Yulia StepanovaWhy is she not a major star?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

That reviewer uses very interesting imagery "cat in a dairy." Although I agree with his assessment of her Odile, I think he underestimates her Odette  with "General Pained Expression." Originally I thought her look may have been nervousness when I first saw, but after watching her Act 1 Scene 2 Odette over and over from an underground recording I actually think it was the pain and interpretation I was watching. And when you view her Act 1 Odette and Act 3 Odette it all comes together b/c in Act 3 she is absolutely crushed and worn out but then after Rothbart is defeated, there is relief and radiant joy. So I think her Odette is an interpretation of great power, but I think many people including myself at first think it is nerves, when it is really her interpretation and it is actually pretty precise and not "general pain".....this is my own opinion, of course. 

But he is right her Odile is also good, b/c her arms take on a predatory look to me. Her body language totally changes. 

#62 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

When reading Jennings one at least understands what he is talking about.

Very telling are the words Jennings uses comparing the scale of the interpretations of Skoryk and Stepanova. Instead of 'grandeur' I would say bolder but simpler, and instead of 'smaller-scale' I would say - vastly more intimate. Unlike Jennings, I saw both dancers many times and have no axe to grind against Skoryk.

Still, I understand Jennings' reservation vis-a-vis Stepanova's rendering of Odette: in London the reciprocity of feelings wasn't sufficiently articulated in the duets of Odette and Siegfried. She was too preoccupied with grief, he was attentive but not particularly loving (unlike on July 6 when the Prince was visibly in love with Odette and she was visibly grateful for his love). That would be the main complaint of mine. It didn't detract from my overall enjoyment due to utmost gracefulness and finesse of Stepanova's movement and poses. I understand, however, the source of Jennings' reservations.

#63 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Stepanova danced Helena in yesterday's matinee Midsummer Night's Dream.  Skorik was Titania

#64 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Yulia's bio page on the Mariinsky website shows two October performances - a debut as the Mare in Little Humped Back Horse on 10th October, and another performance of Sylvia on 25th October.   While at least the role of Mare is a debut, it is a shame she could not have had a debut as Zarema in the other ballet heavily featured at the beginning of the month - Fountain of Bakhchisaria.  This would be a wonderful  role for her dramatic, expressive qualities and also would show off her jumps, back flexibility and those amazing arms.   I hope so much this season she can have many more principal role debuts, including her most desired role of Giselle.  It seems extraordinary to think that this wonderful dancer has not every classical principal role already in her repertoire,  and that this thread only runs to five pages.  If Yulia's thread had pages equal to her talent, Ballet Alert might spontaneously combust from overload!

#65 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Zarema is a great idea. She would be great in that role. I think she would also be great in Legend of Love as Mekhmeneh Bahnu with Oksana Marchuk as Shyrin! 

#66 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:04 AM

Yes - I absolutely agree!

Yulia Stepanova as Zarema and Oksana Marchuk as Maria

Yulia Stepanova as Mekhmene Banu and Oksana Marchuk as Shyrin

Two of my dream castings for Yulia/Oksana!   

#67 NATinCPH

NATinCPH

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

I had the privilege of seeing Stepanova's Firebird and my only regret is that I couldn't watch her on stage all night. She is simply mesmerizing, the kind of ballerina that makes you forget about everything else in the world and not even notice if a technical mistake happens, because her presence and performance are so captivating. Enormous talent!

#68 Vivacegal

Vivacegal

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Yulia just won the Taglioni European ballet award. http://instagram.com/p/td10Zst4rD/

#69 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Congratulations to Ms.Stepanova :flowers:

#70 Janneke

Janneke

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hurrah hurrah! Another thing I love about this dancer is that she seems so very gracious. If you look around on her Instagram linked to above, you can see that she is very sweet in the way she thanks her supporters for their appreciation. I hope that her star will rise this season.

#71 Vivacegal

Vivacegal

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

What does anyone make of this:  http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/ ?  Mariinsky website congratulates Xander Parish and conductor Pavel Bubelnikov for winning Taglioni awards,, but does not mention Yulia Stepanova at all.   Could anyone be contesting her award?  Not Mariinsky, surely!   She still appears on the Mariinsky website, but she was to dance in Rubies and Humpbacked Horse in October and these two appearances have been deleted, leaving only her Queen of the Dryads and Sylvia.  What is going on??

I've sent an email to press@mariinsky.ru requesting correction of the "error" in the press release.

#72 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

Yulia just won the Taglioni European ballet award. http://instagram.com/p/td10Zst4rD/

The Taglioni European Ballet Award site gives a nice write up about her:

Best Female Young Dancer

Yulia Stepanova

Yulia Stepanova is a remarkable female dancer from the new generation. She represents the best of the developing Vaganova tradition. She already dances the most prestigious roles in ’Swan Lake’, ’La Bayadère’, and ’Sylvia’. Her lines are gorgeous, and she is a very lyrical dancer. She is a natural classical ballerina.

#73 Janneke

Janneke

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

What does anyone make of this:  http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/ ?  Mariinsky website congratulates Xander Parish and conductor Pavel Bubelnikov for winning Taglioni awards,, but does not mention Yulia Stepanova at all.   Could anyone be contesting her award?  Not Mariinsky, surely!   She still appears on the Mariinsky website, but she was to dance in Rubies and Humpbacked Horse in October and these two appearances have been deleted, leaving only her Queen of the Dryads and Sylvia.  What is going on??

I've sent an email to press@mariinsky.ru requesting correction of the "error" in the press release.

Sometimes I wonder if they do things like this just to spite zealous Stepanova fans.

#74 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yes they do seem rather..........................zealous.

#75 Vivacegal

Vivacegal

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Response to my email:

"Of course we know about Julia's win and we are glad that our ballet dancers become better from year to year and honored to have those great awards. But according to the fact that Julia have decided to leave Mariinsky ballet troupe in nearest future we can't print this information on our web-site.
I hope Julia will have a lot of awards in future and you will stay an admirer of her talent!
Have a nice day and best regards,

Kate Ordovskaya
Press-office of the Mariinsky theatre
Tel: +7 812 714 4164
Fax: +7 812 314 17 44
http://www.mariinsky.ru
mailto:ordovskaya@mariinsky.ru"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):