This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

Stepanova has been cast as Dulcinea in the Bolshoi DQ: http://www.bolshoi.ru/performances/912/roles/#20160204190000

She's been cast as the Queen of the Dryads, and also as the Street Dancer and in the first variation of the third-act grand pas, but not as Kitri/Dulcinea.

The Bolshoi's list of role debutants notes that she had already danced the Street Dancer and the Queen of the Dryads at the Mariinsky. Also the (Stepanova) after her name has disappeared, and she's now listed simply as Yangurazova.

Yu

It appears that in the end Yulia only danced once in Russian Seasons and it was the girl in green; not yellow/white and not dark red! She has posted a picture to her instagram.

Yulia's partner, Mercuriev, unfortunately was ill and this is why she was unable to dance the leading role, as she was originally cast.

I have just returned from Moscow, where I was very fortunate to see Yulia in class and rehearsal as well as her scheduled performances as 1st Variation girl on 3rd February, Queen of the Dryads on 4th February matinee and Street Dancer on 6th February. She was also a last minute 1st variation replacement for Tikhomirova on 7th February. As has been noted elsewhere, the theatre has now dropped the Stepanova part of her name, and she is referred to as Yulia Yangurazova.

Yulia's grand jetes in her first variation were good the first time round, although not as quick off the ground as Diana Kosyreva, who also danced this variation. They were better second time round, when she stood in at the last minute for Anna Tikhomirova, as she got both more height and more attack. Her coach, Semenyaka, was standing in the wings and shouted encouragement at her and her jumps were certainly flying, especially the final diagonal. Her Queen of the Dryads was beautiful - quite simply she has the real majestic, warm quality for this role and it shows of her wonderful port de bras to great advantage - even the way she presents herself to the audience at the beginning of the variation is just so graceful. She showed lovely lines in attitude and arabesque, including some very high pique arabesques, and easy sissones. Her arms and upper body and whole manner are just so suited for this variation - especially in the lovely section where she stands and circles her hands overhead in the mime for "dance." Street Dancer was full of character - it is not a technically demanding role, but she certainly inhabited the part and had easy command of the stage. Her pointework was excellent.
Yulia worked well in class, showing strength, control and extension, especially in the adagio section of the centrework, where her use of upper body and arms is just so musical. The first thing Madame Semenyaka said (in English) when I entered the rehearsal studio was, "She's a wonderful dancer." I wish the wonderful dancer could get more roles!

I have just returned from Moscow, where I was very fortunate to see Yulia in class and rehearsal as well as her scheduled performances as 1st Variation girl on 3rd February, Queen of the Dryads on 4th February matinee and Street Dancer on 6th February. She was also a last minute 1st variation replacement for Tikhomirova on 7th February. As has been noted elsewhere, the theatre has now dropped the Stepanova part of her name, and she is referred to as Yulia Yangurazova.

Yulia's grand jetes in her first variation were good the first time round, although not as quick off the ground as Diana Kosyreva, who also danced this variation. They were better second time round, when she stood in at the last minute for Anna Tikhomirova, as she got both more height and more attack. Her coach, Semenyaka, was standing in the wings and shouted encouragement at her and her jumps were certainly flying, especially the final diagonal. Her Queen of the Dryads was beautiful - quite simply she has the real majestic, warm quality for this role and it shows of her wonderful port de bras to great advantage - even the way she presents herself to the audience at the beginning of the variation is just so graceful. She showed lovely lines in attitude and arabesque, including some very high pique arabesques, and easy sissones. Her arms and upper body and whole manner are just so suited for this variation - especially in the lovely section where she stands and circles her hands overhead in the mime for "dance." Street Dancer was full of character - it is not a technically demanding role, but she certainly inhabited the part and had easy command of the stage. Her pointework was excellent.

Yulia worked well in class, showing strength, control and extension, especially in the adagio section of the centrework, where her use of upper body and arms is just so musical. The first thing Madame Semenyaka said (in English) when I entered the rehearsal studio was, "She's a wonderful dancer." I wish the wonderful dancer could get more roles!

Thank you for the report. Any sense of how Moscow fans are responding to another Vaganova/Petersburg dancer in their midst?

Yulia Stepanova is once again listed as Yulia Stepanova (Yangurazova) with her husband's name in parentheses on the Bolshoi's website (both English and Russian). She has always wanted to use that name, because it is the name she is known by, so I am glad that she is listed that way once more.

According to Yulia's Instagram https://www.instagram.com/yuliastepa/, some of her fans were evidently confused about her performances in Hans van Mannen's Frank Bridge Variations -- where the performance was and who else was in the performance. This confusion may have prompted the change back to Stepanova.

Looking forward to pics/videos of her upcoming performance as Bela in A Hero of Our Time on the 3/23 and Myrta in Vladimir Vasiliev's version of Giselle on the 30th!

Yulia will make her debut as Nikiya in La Bayadere opposite Artemy Belyakov on 16th April - wonderful news!

Wish I could be in Moscow to see this! What do we know about Belyakov? About Marchenkova, who will be Gamzatti in this performance?

Wish I could be in Moscow to see this! What do we know about Belyakov? About Marchenkova, who will be Gamzatti in this performance?

Belyakov was promoted to leading soloist recently, jumping two ranks, and is a very tall, strong dancer with a spectacular jump. He is 24 or 25, I think. He has already partnered Yulia recently in Frank Bridge Variationsi, and he dances several leading roles. Marchenkova is a corps ballerina who dances many small solo roles, so Gamzatti is a great debut for her.

Belyakov was promoted to leading soloist recently, jumping two ranks, and is a very tall, strong dancer with a spectacular jump. He is 24 or 25, I think. He has already partnered Yulia recently in Frank Bridge Variationsi, and he dances several leading roles. Marchenkova is a corps ballerina who dances many small solo roles, so Gamzatti is a great debut for her.

Thank you. I suppose this is a debut for Belyakov as well?