This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2012 Mariinsky U.S Tour (Ardani)

The Mariinsky Ballet returns to the USA this October (2 hrough 21): Swan Lake in two California cities + the aformentioned Cinderella at the Kennedy Center. (No mention of a repeat of the 'Saisons Russes' mixed bill also being performed in DC, as 'Voice of Russia' had cited earlier.)

Exact dates and ballets are on the Ardani Artists website:

http://www.ardani.co...s-mariinsky.php

Hmmm...I think that the Californians got the better deal here, especially if Ekaterina Kondaurova is one of the O/Os. smile.png

According to the Cal Performances website, in Berkeley,

Cast to include Uliana Lopatkina, Alina Somova, Victoria Tereshkina, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Danila Korsuntsev, Vladimir Schklyarov, Evgeny Ivanchenko, and Denis Matvienko

Of course, this is all subject to change. Once it's released, the link above should show the casting for individual performances in Berkeley.

Performances back in St. Petersburg during the time of the tour (2-27 October) to CA are:

10 October-Romeo and Juliet

26 October-A Midsummer Night's Dream

According to the current schedule, the theaters are dark for the first 9 days of October, and its mostly opera for the last two weeks.

OMG and OG(oh G-d)... How i wish to see Tereshkina & Kondaurova and HOW I WOULD LIKE TO AVOID Skorik (she's even worse than Somova). Should we sign a petition to Gergiev/Fateev to not cast her.... Tough call for casting gambling. Does anyone know if the venue allows ticket swaps due to casting changes (as kennedy sometimes allows)?

OMG and OG(oh G-d)... How i wish to see Tereshkina & Kondaurova and HOW I WOULD LIKE TO AVOID Skorik (she's even worse than Somova). Should we sign a petition to Gergiev/Fateev to not cast her.... Tough call for casting gambling. Does anyone know if the venue allows ticket swaps due to casting changes (as kennedy sometimes allows)?

Agreed & agreed. This casting is a disaster and now I don't know if its worth the trip. I had been planning to go for a 3 day weekend & see 4 performances but nothing would get me to sit through Somova and Skorik. The Sat night performance is a double booby prize with Somova/Ivenchenko.

I/m not sure I can justify spending almost a thousand dollars and traveling 3000 miles each way to see 2 performances, not even for Tereshkina/Schlyarov and Kondaurova/Korsuntsev.

I hate current Mariinsky management, they should be ashamed at what they're trying to foist on us.

From the press release linked above (a .pdf) -- thank you amiaow:

Tuesday, October 2 at 7:30 p.m.

Victoria Tereshkina as Odette-Odile

Vladimir Schklyarov as Prince Siegfried

Wednesday, October 3 at 7:30 p.m.

Anastasia Matvienko as Odette-Odile

Danila Korsuntsev as Prince Siegfried

Thursday, October 4 at 7:30 p.m.

Oxana Skorik as Odette-Odile

Timur Askerov as Prince Siegfried

Friday, October 5 at 7:30 p.m.

Victoria Tereshkina as Odette-Odile

Vladimir Schklyarov as Prince Siegfried

Saturday, October 6 at 2 p.m.

Ekaterina Kondaurova as Odette-Odile

Danila Korsuntsev as Prince Siegfried

Saturday, October 6 at 7:30 p.m.

Alina Somova as Odette-Odile

Evgeny Ivanchenko as Prince Siegfried

Sunday, October 7 at 2 p.m.

Oxana Skorik as Odette-Odile

Timur Askerov as Prince Siegfried

It's clever casting: people who are going to go on weekend will go on the weekend no matter who dances.

For West Coasters trying to see Tereshkina and Kondaurova, it may be possible to fly in in time for the Friday night performance and leave after the Saturday matinee. Also, by October, any of this could change.

It's clever casting: people who are going to go on weekend will go on the weekend no matter who dances.

So true! I don't want to insult anybody, but I was astounded by the relatively ignorant Saturday night crowd at OCPAC when the Bolshoi performed in spring 2010. I was surrounded by lots of older couples who attended plenty of events at OCPAC, but mainly for socializing. I remember a strange conversation with one couple that was shocked that I was attending my third performance of Don Q that week and was coming back Sunday afternoon. The idea that anybody would want to see different casts of the same ballet was something that had never occurred to them. Still, those people buy tickets (and many probably donate money), so we should be glad they do attend. (And the cast that night was definitely third-string, as I remember, although those folks in the audience wouldn't have known the difference.)

Tereshkina will get the review, which is excellent planning, too.

I'm sure that didn't escape their notice!

Is Skorik the dancer who was the subject of the crazed youtube video from russianballetvideo a month or so ago? The girl with the major technical issues? I can't find the video now, but if so, she really should not be dancing major tours with the problems she seems to regularly have.

The idea that anybody would want to see different casts of the same ballet was something that had never occurred to them. Still, those people buy tickets (and many probably donate money), so we should be glad they do attend. (And the cast that night was definitely third-string, as I remember, although those folks in the audience wouldn't have known the difference.)

Something that intrigues me...When it comes to ballet, I actually think almost everyone does know the difference; they just don't know that they know the difference. That is, when they see a really great performance, they always get that something special has occurred. At least that has been my experience.

I never took someone to see Kirkland who was not blown away and suddenly more understanding of my passion--it's not that they became balletomanes, but they certainly 'knew the difference.' Similarly, when they see lesser dancers, they may not know how/why or even THAT it is lesser, but they indirectly register it: a less excited response, a willingness to just 'enjoy' whatever they saw (not always a bad trait either) & sometimes boredom is, I think, mostly how they register it.

(People who see Balanchine and find it 'boring' sometimes have only seen the very post-Balanchine performances that some of the older NYCB fans complain about bitterly. In a funny way, ignorance and expertise join hands.)

I do acknowledge that certain kinds of greatness are easier for someone unfamiliar w. ballet to 'get'--Nureyev on the whole more than Bruhn etc. And the traditional 'Kirov' style was always more austere than the Bolshoi.

Of course, with the Mariinsky even the least of their casts in a ballet like Swan Lake should be quality and it's depressing if/when that is not the case..

I remember a strange conversation with one couple that was shocked that I was attending my third performance of Don Q that week and was coming back Sunday afternoon. The idea that anybody would want to see different casts of the same ballet was something that had never occurred to them.

That's why I never divulge how frequently I go to the ballet except to very few individuals who share my passion. That's what makes reading and particpating in these conversations on Ballet Alert so wonderful.yahoo.gif

Is Skorik the dancer who was the subject of the crazed youtube video from russianballetvideo a month or so ago? The girl with the major technical issues? I can't find the video now, but if so, she really should not be dancing major tours with the problems she seems to regularly have.

Yes, it was Skorik.

Despite all the negative comments about dancers/casting decisions on the other Mariinsky thread, I went ahead and bought a ticket before casts were announced for Berkeley because I can only go to the Saturday matinee, and I wanted a good seat. Been holding my breath ever since to see who I’d end up with and I’ve got…Kondaurova! Hooooray!!! (Please don't rain on my parade by pointing out that casts frequently change....)

Despite all the negative comments about dancers/casting decisions on the other Mariinsky thread, I went ahead and bought a ticket before casts were announced for Berkeley because I can only go to the Saturday matinee, and I wanted a good seat. Been holding my breath ever since to see who I’d end up with and I’ve got…Kondaurova! Hooooray!!! (Please don't rain on my parade by pointing out that casts frequently change....)

We both lucked out then! Crossing every available body part that the casting holds for both of us.

If you like a deliciously evil Black Swan literally dripping with evil cancel work or cancel plans (give the baby to a stranger....just kidding) and RUN to see Tereshkina's Swan Lake. Her white swan is good too, but her Black Swan is incredible in both dancing and characterization, in my opinion. It won't be to some people's taste, but overall it stands out more than most Black Swans.

Great for mothers- to-be!!!!

yikes about SKORIK openning and being on Sat. night - Horrible.

the only bonus, is it may still change, and there'll be MARIINSKY ORCHESTRA - I am so much looking forward to that one (recalling a horrible slaughter of Tchaikovsky's score in Toronto by some semi-professionals acompanying Bolshoi's swan lake).