ABT's Male Principal ProblemPoll

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

Poll: Promote From Within or Go On a Spending Spree? (72 member(s) have cast votes)

To solve its looming shortage of male principals, should ABT:

1. Promote from within to fill the ranks (45 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Go out into the free market and hire male principals from outside the company (27 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Lifted from the ABT 2012 Gala Thread:

Thirteen Diversions (excerpts) - Riccetto, Matthews, Seo, Davis, Abrera, Tamm, Messmer, Hammoudi
Thirteen Diversions (finale) - Riccetto, Matthews, Seo, Davis, Abrera, Tamm, Messmer, Hammoudi

This casting may be completely meaningless but . . .

I've visted ABT's website the other day and have noticed that they've given the male Soloists, and Corp Members I've never even seen dance, leading principal and soloist roles in upcoming ballet's. Seems to be they are scouting/ testing them for future promotions?

#212 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

great time to try i guess!

um, snake, i didn't know you loved ballet!!! Posted Image

#213 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Friedmann Vogel just jumped to the top of my wishlist, should Kevin be looking to outside the company for new male principals. He made his NY debut last night in the YAGP gala, dancing Cranko's R&J balcony pdd with Alice Amatirain.

WOW! Tall, long limbed, handsome, charismatic. Elegant line, soft landings, great elevation, fast turns, great partner. Here he is in the same pdd with Semionova:

#214 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Friedmann Vogel just jumped to the top of my wishlist, should Kevin be looking to outside the company for new male principals. He made his NY debut last night in the YAGP gala, dancing Cranko's R&J balcony pdd with Alice Amatirain.

WOW! Tall, long limbed, handsome, charismatic. Elegant line, soft landings, great elevation, fast turns, great partner. Here he is in the same pdd with Semionova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc9Bqoa83kA

He is also in the new La Scala Raymonda DVD .It now available in Amazon.

#215 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Please tell us more about Friedmann Vogel, whom I'm seeing for the first time on this video. Those renverses left me breathless. Where is he from? Where is he going? He is an exquisite dancer.

#216 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Friedmann Vogel is a principal with Stuttgart Ballet. He has guested with ENB and I was very privileged to see him perform Des Grieux with Daria Klimentova as Manon. He was WONDERFUL (as, of course, was Daria).

#217 Fosca

Fosca

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Here's a link to Vogel's Facebook page with pictures and dates.

His recent roles at Stuttgart include Moondog in Cranko's Lady and the Fool, of course the classics like Swan Lake and Cranko's Romeo, but also Béjart's Bolero and the title role in Marco Goecke's Orlando, a very modern piece after VIrginia Woolf's novel.

His name is Friedemann (not Friedmann or Friemann) - like J.S. Bach's son, which has nothing to do with fries, but literally translated means Peace-Man Posted Image

#218 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I just noticed that another talented Corps member, Thomas Forster has been added to the Opening night Gala. So glad to see more opportunities from within at this critical time! I do not know if he was originally cast for that evening or, if I am just seeing this. He will be dancing with Veronika Part.

#219 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

I don't mean to be mean, but after seeing yesterday's Guggenheim Works and Progress presentation, one can understand why ABT management would seek to bring in male dancers from outside. Then again, maybe they just didn't want to go all out for an audience of older people carrying free tote bags.

#220 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

It's a very small stage at the Guggenheim.

#221 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I agree That stage dosen't give them much room to "go all out" like They could have. Don't get me wrong I think it would be great to bring in some men from other companies, but at the same time I am happy some current members are FINALLY getting some more opportunities Posted Image

#222 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

I know I am being unfair, but I saw no extension, no ballon, no elevation... even though the stage was small. Nothing seemed complete.

I felt that way about Kristy Boone, too, in the character dance, although in "The Dream", I thought she was wonderful, a standout. Hee Seo was charming, as always. I can't wait to see "Onegin."

#223 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Corps member Sean Stewart, one of a group of corps and soloists interviewed by Gia Kourlas in the Sunday NY Times, makes a comment that fits this thread perfectly.

STEWART

I think having a couple of guest artists is great because it can add and diversify, but I think that using guests artists as a replacement for the entire company is a bad idea.

It goes back to catering to what you think audiences want instead of educating them to want something else, and I think it’s important for a company to decide what it wants to present and build an audience from there, as opposed to: Oh, this year, Russians are in.

http://www.nytimes.c....html?ref=dance

#224 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Fortunately, I think everyone who was interviewed in the article was measured and careful in what they said and how they said it. It almost seemed like the interview was bait for these dancers to say something completely inflamatory about ABT's management and its guest artist policy.

#225 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

I rather like "measured and careful" when it is also, as with Mr. Stewart, thoughtful, balanced, and clear about the option the speaker favors.

Given the circumstances, these dancers are an impressive group. I'd love to be able to hear more from each of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):