• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

We've had "Most Beautiful Dancers" and "Most Beautiful Opera Singers," and all this Oscar talk made me want to open a new thread on this subject. I would prefer to keep these lists to today's active actresses and actors because my list would be endless if it included from all time.

Women:

Juliette Binoche
Mariska Hargitay
Lena Olin
Aishwarya Rai
Uma Thurman
Kate Winslet
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Audrey Tautou- I don't consider her beautiful, but she's too cute to go unmentioned (BTW, for those who don't know yet, she'll be starring opposite Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code movie)

Men:
Johnny Depp
Joaquin Phoenix- didn't care for him until I saw Quills

I'm going to break my own rules here and include actors from the past because I'm not too attracted to many of them today, besides the ones above.

Laurence Olivier
Robert Taylor
Marlon Brando
Gene Kelly
Louis Jourdan
Omar Sharif

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:54 AM

Robert Taylor! :excl:

#3 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:10 AM

Maggie Cheung! (In the mood for love, Hero etc)

#4 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Ava Gardner

Catherine Deneuve

Grace Kelly

Julianne Moore

Fanny Ardant

Sophia Loren

#5 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:37 AM

Patrick McGoohan :excl:

#6 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:05 AM

Vivien Leigh (as you may guess from my user name)
Emmanuelle Beart
Thandie Newton

It's easier to limit men to the present day - it seems like looks are more important today than in the past???
Jude Law
Tom Cruise (I know, but still...)
Alexis Denisof (Wesley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Anegl)

OF, who is Aishwarya Rai?

#7 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:22 AM

Rai is Bollywood's current reigning star. She hasn't quite caught on in Hollywood yet- Bride & Prejudice isn't doing too well at the box office. I believe she was Miss World once.

#8 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:42 AM

Women: Halle Berry and (while calling her an actress may be stretching things) Jennifer Lopez.

Men: Once I manage to let go of my heartthrobs of the past (Clark Gable, who may not have been classically beautiful but who oozed . . . something, and Gregory Peck, the Perfect Man :excl: ), I get to Harrison Ford and Denzel Washington.

#9 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:43 AM

Thanks. I haven't seen Bride & Prejudice but the reviews of Bride & Prejudice make it sound as if the movie is patronizing the Bollywood style and Indian traditions. That's no way to draw the Janeites or those interested in world cinema to the box office.

#10 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:57 AM

Thanks. I haven't seen Bride & Prejudice but the reviews of Bride & Prejudice make it sound as if the movie is patronizing the Bollywood style and Indian traditions. That's no way to draw the Janeites or those interested in world cinema to the box office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, although I'm not familiar with Bollywood movies nor have I seen B&P. I only know of her through Indian friends of mine and seen a couple previews of the movie, which was enough to make me consider her one of the most beautiful women in the world.

#11 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:02 AM

Men:  Once I manage to let go of my heartthrobs of the past (Clark Gable, who may not have been classically beautiful but who oozed . . . something, and Gregory Peck, the Perfect Man :lol: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So that's what I find wrong with many of today's leading men! Sure, many have pretty faces ,but they're missing that je ne sais quoi... :excl:

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

I'm horrible with names, and I've forgotten many beautiful people I've seen in foreign films. Here are ones I remember:

Men:
Will Smith
Naveen Andrews
Jet Li
Ben Cross
Gael Garcia Bernal
Gregory Peck
Andre Braugher
Peter Firth
Michael York
Richard Chamberlain
David McCallum
Michael Riley

Harrison Ford stopped being on that list the first time I saw of photo of him with a cigarette, so there's a certain point where I can't "see" beautiful any more. I have another list of attractive. Not that any of them are bad-looking, but I like them so much, I'm not sure what they really look like: Joe Morton, Chris Cooper, Alan Rickman, Peter Riegert, Alec Guiness, Courtney Vance, Sam Neill, Tom McCamus, Sam Waterson. (It's probably their voices.) Many of the leading men of the past are too handsome for me.

Women:
Juliet Binoche
Madeleine Stowe
Halle Berry
Helen Mirren
Genvieve Bujold
Sandra Oh
Vera Zorina
Laura Linney

#13 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

Re Aishwarya Rai, she probably is beautiful, but I've only seen her in B&P where she was wearing so much makeup that she looked like a tart. Not at all Austenian!

From another P&P adaptation, Colin Firth's Darcy in the 1995 BBC serial gave me very very pleasant dreams, asleep and awake, for years. :excl: And Firth himself, minus the Darcy fixin's, is pretty dishy, too!

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:34 AM

Sonny Chiba.

#15 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

Aishwarya Rai is considered the Julia Roberts of India. The Julia Roberts of the 80's and 90's. THE actress and it girl. She was indeed Miss World. Since my husband is from India we watch quite a few Bollywood movies, so I would also include Salman Khan as most beautiful man. Unfortunately in India, the lighter your skin the more beautiful you are considered.
As for the rest:
Men- Javier Bardem
Ewan McGregor
Colin Firth
Denzel Washington
Salman Khan

Ladies- Renee Zellweger
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Natalie Portman
Madeline Stowe
Salma Hayak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):