This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

We're 5 years old!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:52 AM

It's been a bit hectic around here lately (or at least on the back end of things) and so I forgot to post when we had our FIFTH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

I don't even know exactly when it was. I registered the domain name and put up the site in late July 1998 -- around the 21st (?) And put up a little Front Page message board which was up for awhile, and then put up our first real message board -- the UBB -- in October of 1998. And, so, well, here we are.

Give me an annivesary present -- POST. We've gotten away from our scintillating debates on aesthetic issues. More people are posting about performances WHICH IS TERRIFIC! Being greedy, I'd like more. Don't be shy. Dip your toe in. You saw something? Say "I saw X and kinda liked it." That's a start. When you realize that no one will jump in and say, "You LIKED IT? What planet are YOU from?" maybe next time you'll tell us why -- or what you didn't like.

The Young Dancers and Special Groups forums talk lots -- it's the General Discussion group forums that need encouragement. Read something? Post about it. Someone says something that strikes you as interesting? Chime in.

Thanking you in advance.......

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:06 AM

Hmm, almost old enough for Pre-Ballet! :grinning:

CONGRATULATIONS!

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:13 AM

Yes, we're working on our TURN OUT right now :grinning:

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 01:58 PM

Congratulations! Let me just note that this didn't happen by itself. You just referred to the "back-of-the-house" operations, Alexandra, and it's the loving diligence you and the moderators contribute that keeps BA's "performance" so consistently successful.

Thanks to all of you and to the community of posters, too!
:blushing: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

#5 Redstorm

Redstorm

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:34 PM

Happy Birthday! :party: :blushing: :flowers: Keep up the great work!!!

#6 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 03:12 PM

Who can find a virtuous ballet message board? Her price is far above rubies....

From an out an out neophyte who would have been slogging along behind the eight ball when it comes to understanding ballet from an educational trajectory, I can not thank you enough. In addition, the insight you've helped me gain as an audience member is without a doubt much more than "pretty good"... So pop the corks and we'll all drink to the health of Ballet Alert! :bouncing: :huepfen: :flowers: :gossip: :jump: :blushing: :flowers: :flowers:

#7 BalletNutter

BalletNutter

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 03:30 PM

Let me get right to the pointe ... Ballet Alert is the greatest. I wish that I had known about it 5 years ago. Keep up the wonderful work and many congratulations!!

#8 Guest_Gringa_*

Guest_Gringa_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:35 PM

What better time than the 5 year anniversary :yes: to make my first post. Been a "guest" for a while and find Ballet Alert riveting! Thanks to all the regular "Alertniks" who provide endless advice and information for all of us novices.

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:54 PM

Welcome, Gringa! Thank you for making your first post here with such kind words for the site! Be sure and post on the Welcome forum, so we can learn a bit more about you and you can get an "official" welcome from our wonderful Giannina, who is our very special and most delightful "Welcome Lady"! :D

Congratulations, Alexandra! It's been a great 5 years, and I am very proud and happy to have been here and a part of this site for all 5 years! B) :flowers: :hyper: :flowers: :blushing: :flowers: :flowers:

#10 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:04 PM

Thanks and congratulations, Alexandra! I knew there was a reason why I finally broke down and bought a computer -- and this is it! :blushing:

#11 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:29 PM

Congratulations! This is one of the best resources the internet has to offer in terms of ballet :blushing:

#12 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:35 PM

THere's a real fun thread gonig caled "Where would I be without ballet?"

Maybe we could start wone 'what would I do without "Ballet Alert"?'

Congratulations, Alexandra, and THANK YOU!

And thank you ALL....

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

Where did those five years go?! I'm constantly amazed at the embarrassment of riches we have here from our splendid, talented, and knowledgeable membership - in all sorts of fields of endeavor.

Mel
In here since Who Laid the Chunk

#14 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:22 PM

Many happy returns... Alexandra, you've persuaded me to come out of my semi-retirement (otherwise known as Culture Shock) and start posting again.

#15 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 08:14 PM

Congratulations to the founders and the moderators who gently handle our passionate discourse with aplomb and good humor. I have received terrific advice, comradeship, co-miseration and some howling laughs from my visits to what I consider "The best forum on the web"!

And five years for any org or group concerned with the arts is a very long time...most last five months...

Cheers!

Watermill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):