This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Companies/Organizations with Specific Plans for Reopening

The Royal Opera House is re-opening on December 11. However, since attendance in London is capped at 1,000 spectators, Birmingham Royal Ballet has had to cancel its run of The Nutcracker at Royal Albert Hall, because leaving 3,000-4,000 seats unoccupied would be too much of a financial loss.

On the other hand, the lockdown in Germany has been extended, for how long varies somewhat from region to region.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:41 PM, volcanohunter said:

The Paris Opera is planning to resume performances on December 15.

The Paris Opera's second reopening has been postponed until 2021. The livestreamed Bayadère on December 13th will go ahead as planned.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/news/message-from-alexander-neef-to-spectators-1

Edited by volcanohunter

My local paper has an article today about plans for the summer for some of the many local arts organizations with summer seasons/festivals. https://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Classical-Notes-15821518.php

Among the small signs of hope for the summer: 

SPAC says that NYCB, the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Opera Saratoga are all committed to a summer presence, with discussions ongoing.  Elizabeth Sobol  says, “Whatever door to presenting our resident companies is open to us next summer, we want to be primed and ready to walk through it,” 

It also sounds like Glimmerglass will have some programming, although the Francesa Zambello says "the season will be “an adventure” and make new use of the company’s 26 acres of outdoor space.  “You will just find yourself taking in more fresh air while enjoying performances.”

Not sure if this was already posted, but Kaatsbaan also recently announced plans for a spring festival in May that will include performances by ABT and Mark Morris Dance Group, plus performers from Alvin Ailey and NYCB (including Maria Kowroski, Ask La Cour, and Gonzalo Garcia). Press release here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c46010375f9ee29faa8134b/t/5fd7b6bd085ac14bd12186ff/1607972543222/Kaaatsbaan+-+Spring+Festival+2021+Press+Release.pdf

NYT article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/arts/dance/kaatsbaan-announces-spring-festival.html

The Guggenheim just sent out email about re-opening for Works & Process under current New York State guidelines:

On March 20, the first day of spring, Works & Process will usher in the return of live performances in the voluminous Guggenheim rotunda, which has been open to museumgoers since fall 2020. The first of their kind since the start of the pandemic, twelve new commissions developed in the safety of Works & Process quarantined bubble residencies in the Hudson Valley will sequence directly into one-night-only performances.

Under the guidance of the New York State Department of Health, to a masked audience initially limited to fifty, the series premieres with one of the most iconic musical portraits of New York City, composer George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue. Choreographer Caleb Teicher and pianist and composer Conrad Tao, with dancers LaTasha Barnes, Nathan Bugh, Gaby Cook, Abdiel Jacobsen, Jennifer Jones, and Macy Sullivan, are creating a new work that celebrates and captures New York City in all its beauty and peril.

Your health and safety are important to us. Viewing areas are assigned by Guggenheim staff, spaced nine feet apart on the ramps of the rotunda, based on arrival time. Please read our updated performance guidelines prior to completing your purchase.

I just read this article in The Atlantic about the country re-opening:

For advice on the best way forward, I called a few performing-arts organizations. As fraught as decision making might be for individuals, it is much more perilous for symphony orchestras, ballets, and theater groups. American families can be wrong about a relatively care-free summer and lose nothing more than an airline change fee. Performing-arts organizations face an existential threat. Their high-pressure calculations can provide a blueprint for how the rest of us should think about the near future.

“What we’ve learned this past year is you just have to try things, which is quite counter to how the performing arts have really functioned in the past,” Leah Johnson, the head of communications at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, told me...

The Denver Center for the Performing Arts had planned to re-open with touring Broadway shows in August 2021, but has just  announced those are being postponed a few more months. The problem, as this article from the Denver Post explains, is that touring Broadway shows are complex enterprises. They need theaters open in a succession of cities to make their tour work financially. Denver is doing well on COVID and no restrictions are expected at the All-Star game in July, also in downtown Denver. 

No word on any postponement of Colorado Ballet in October, but it's not a touring company. Opera Colorado, which also would perform in the Opera House in October, has not announced anything, but they rely heavily on visiting stars, so that might be an issue for them. 

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2021/04/07/dcpa-denver-broadway-tickets-hamilton-lion-king/255922/

Not much detail yet, but Miami City Ballet just sent out email that they will perform Ratmansky's reconstructed Swan Lake in their 2022 season:

. . . we are excited to share with you an exclusive announcement regarding our 2021/22 Season. We will present the North American premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s spellbinding Swan Lake and plan to celebrate this triumphant production with the in-person Swan Ball on Saturday, January 22, 2022. 

We’ll officially announce our new season this summer. In the meantime, you may address event questions to: lisa.pollack@miamicityballet.org

Kennedy Center is announcing that Alvin Ailey, ABT, and NYCB will perform in the upcoming season: https://www.kennedy-center.org/our-story/kc50/ No dates yet:

Sharing a longstanding history of performing annually on the Center’s stages, world-renowned dance and ballet companies Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, American Ballet Theatre, and New York City Ballet join in the celebration of the 50th Anniversary. From their first appearance at the Center’s opening in Leonard Bernstein’s MASS featuring new choreography by Alvin Ailey, the Ailey company has been dedicated to commissioning new work to provide a global platform for diverse voices and a range of dance makers. For their 2021-2022 engagements, NYCB and ABT will celebrate their rich relationships with the Center through two programs each—one presenting a full-evening production looking back at historical classics connected to the Center’s past, and another looking to the future of each company and the art form.

According to the story in the Washington Post, the theater season is unusually ambitious as so many international companies are unlikely to be able  to visit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/kennedy-theater-musicals-season-announcement/2021/04/13/60a0c9b8-9bda-11eb-8005-bffc3a39f6d3_story.html

Part of what makes it possible, Rutter and Finn said, are openings in the calendar as a result of delays in other traditional programming, such as visits by international ballet troupes. 

The Wolf Trap has announced some semblance of a summer schedule. My impression after a hasty look is that, for the classical genres, there is a lot of opera and nothing for dance fans (unless you're a fan of the Maryland Youth Ballet). Most of the performers will be local; the National Symphony Orchestra is featured in many of the offerings.

I only took a hasty look because it is irrelevant to me what the shows are or who is performing in them. The ticket policy does not work for me. They are selling groups of 4 (mostly) or 6 seats in alternate rows with 4 empty seats between each group, staggered so that no one will have someone directly in front of or behind them for 3 rows. A purchaser must purchase an entire group. I have exactly 1 friend who likes symphonies and operas.

Edited by YouOverThere

I've been noticing different live ticketing schemes that require a minimum purchase of a pair, and if I was willing to attend, I would consider the second ticket as a donation and additional physical buffer, but making the minimum purchase the equivalent of a gala table is a bit much, in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Helene said:

I've been noticing different live ticketing schemes that require a minimum purchase of a pair, and if I was willing to attend, I would consider the second ticket as a donation and additional physical buffer, but making the minimum purchase the equivalent of a gala table is a bit much, in my opinion.

It turns out that they actually are selling a small number of pairs of seats; they must have already sold all of them for the shows that I looked at (perhaps mostly to "members", who get first dibs).

I would prefer "vaccine passports" to the current sell-only-25-percent-of-the-seats-and-only-to-people-who-buy-multiple-seats policies that most venues have adopted. It looks like most of the people in the USA who want to get vaccinated have already begun the process, so we clearly are not going to achieve "herd immunity" in the foreseeable future.

Edited by YouOverThere

A friend who is a Dallas-based retauarant consultant did an online panel discussion viewable on LinkedIn) on the opening up of restaurants --Texas allows 100% capacity -- and when one of the panelists mentioned vaccine passports he replied that he started in the nightclub business, where the issue was forged drivers licenses, and that little card we get when vaccinated would be easy to forge: by the end of the panel discussion, he could produce plenty of fake cards [if he wanted to].

The only way to have a true vaccine passport is if it were government-issued, straight from the people who issued the vaccine, and that would have had to have been planned from the start.  I don't even remember having to give an SSN, although I did have to upload an insurance card (if I had insurance) when I booked the first appointment online, which would be traceable to me, plus they asked for photo ID when I got there (also, probably not required where I live, because they wanted arms, and we were on the honor system from the beginning).  Every group administering vaccine in Washington State had its own requirements.  I just don't see how this is going to be feasible and reliable.

There's a recent NYT article discussing the latest thoughts about Herd Immunity in the US:

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe
Widely circulating coronavirus variants and persistent hesitancy about vaccines will keep the goal out of reach. The virus is here to stay, but vaccinating the most vulnerable may be enough to restore normalcy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

'If the herd immunity threshold is not attainable, what matters most is the rate of hospitalizations and deaths after pandemic restrictions are relaxed, experts believe.

By focusing on vaccinating the most vulnerable, the United States has already brought those numbers down sharply. If the vaccination levels of that group continue to rise, the expectation is that over time the coronavirus may become seasonal, like the flu, and affect mostly the young and healthy.

“What we want to do at the very least is get to a point where we have just really sporadic little flare-ups,” said Carl Bergstrom, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Washington in Seattle. “That would be a very sensible target in this country where we have an excellent vaccine and the ability to deliver it.”

Over the long term — a generation or two — the goal is to transition the new coronavirus to become more like its cousins that cause common colds. That would mean the first infection is early in childhood, and subsequent infections are mild because of partial protection, even if immunity wanes.'

Edited by pherank

4 hours ago, pherank said:

By focusing on vaccinating the most vulnerable, the United States has already brought those numbers down sharply. If the vaccination levels of that group continue to rise, the expectation is that over time the coronavirus may become seasonal, like the flu, and affect mostly the young and healthy.

It's the "over time" aspect that concerns me.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:06 AM, volcanohunter said:

The Vienna State Opera has published audience guidelines for its new season, scheduled to begin on September 7th. While they include notes on reduced seating and requests to use hand sanitizer, there are no mask requirements.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

21 hours ago, Helene said:

The only way to have a true vaccine passport is if it were government-issued, straight from the people who issued the vaccine

When I applied for my New York State Excelsior Vaccine Pass I had to provide the information that's on my CDC vaccination record (name, birthdate, vaccine type, the date of final the dose, and where I received it) plus my zip code. This information was the confirmed against the NYS vaccine database. Had I received my vaccine from an entity that doesn't fall under the regulatory authority of New York State—e.g. a federal agency, an entity from another U.S. state or jurisdiction, or a first nation—and that doesn't report into the NYS system I wouldn't have been able to get the NYS pass. My husband received his vaccine at his New Jersey workplace and  thus can't get the NYS pass. NJ doesn't offer one yet, so he's out of luck.

Note that you have to present a valid photo ID along with the Excelsior Pass QR code when you use it: you can't just wave a printout of the QR code at the door for admittance.

Not only have there been so many ways and timelines in/on which families have been vaccinated, where it takes a while before all are fully vaccinated, the ability to attend events that require specific state-issued vaccination confirmation is going to leave families out-of-sync again, because the systems aren't connected.

I have no idea how the State of Washington is handling or planning to handle any of this.  I don't know what Canada will require as proof, or if the Provinces will all make their own decisions, with some simply continuing to require test before entry, quarantine, test during quarantine, which applies to anyone who can cross the border.  Hopefully NY's Excelsior Vaccine Pass will be accepted.

Speaking as someone who has had to present a Carte Jaune along with my passport at more than one international border, I expect that the international community will wrestle proof of Covid-19 vaccination to the ground at some point. Some countries (Nigeria is one) have already developed digital versions of the Yellow Card to circumvent forgeries and I expect more will follow.

Canada is apparently working on something like a vaccine passport for future international travel.  So far the feds haven't talked about using this for access to businesses or theatres, however Quebec is apparently starting to provide digital proof of the vaccine (as of later this week), which that province indicates could be used by businesses.  So we'll see how that goes.

Meanwhile in Ontario, the National Ballet of Canada has yet to announce plans for next season.  Subscribers were told to expect an announcement in June.

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

I'm okay with large indoors gatherings requiring a mask, vaccination, or a combo of both. I wouldnt enjoy an event unless I felt safe.

A neighbor and I were half-joking yesterday about how much we've enjoyed our cold and flu free year and how we might just keep on wearing masks and obsessively washing our hands long after Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted. 😉

And honestly, I have no objection to wearing a mask indoors (or in close quarters outdoors) until 1) it's been determined that the current vaccines provide protection against the new Covid-19 variants, or, more to the point, limit their spread and 2) most of us have been vaccinated.

42 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

A neighbor and I were half-joking yesterday about how much we've enjoyed our cold and flu free year and how we might just keep on wearing masks and obsessively washing our hands long after Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted. 😉

And honestly, I have no objection to wearing a mask indoors (or in close quarters outdoors) until 1) it's been determined that the current vaccines provide protection against the new Covid-19 variants, or, more to the point, limit their spread and 2) most of us have been vaccinated.

Pre-pandemic, it was not unusual to see tourists from Asia with face masks. It was puzzling, but we now understand the advantages! I always get a fall flu shot and will be quite happy to get a fall COVID boaster, if they decide they're needed. But I also usually get one bad cold each winter and this year - nothing! And my allergies aren't a problem this spring! I hope we don't return to the old traditions of shaking hands and blowing out lots of candles on cakes that everybody then eats. I'll probably always carry hand sanitizers and disinfectant wipes in my purse in the future, if only to ward off other unknown viruses out there!

The Hamburg Opera House has just re-opened, and it was interesting to read what Covid safety protocols are in place.

Tickets have the holder's name printed on them and must match ID.

Spectators must present a negative PCR test taken within the preceding 48 hours or a negative antigen test taken within the preceding 12 hours; or proof of full vaccination at least 14 days earlier; or proof of infection 28 days to 6 months ago plus a negative PCR test taken within the previous 48 hours. (Not sure why anyone would fess up to having been infected if a negative PCR test is adequate.)

FFP2/N95-type masks are obligatory at all times, the bars are closed, physical distance must be maintained and moving to a different seat is not allowed.

Edited by volcanohunter