This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center 2019/20 Ballet Season

The new season is soon to be announced, the Center posted hints of the upcoming season on its FB page. Looks like it's going to be Swan Lake, R&J, Sleeping Beauty, Scotch Symphony...

53245210_10156798490475865_1838002907539

53783991_10156798490635865_6865908060523

53669216_10156798490695865_3482621532436

54728118_10156798490650865_6026707335336

53789495_10156798490760865_8267168370936

54407632_10156798490790865_6385882642708

53723636_10156798490800865_6517636592784

Edited by mussel

Ah, but here's the real test: which companies?  NYCB for  Scottish Symphony? Mariinsky for Swan Lake? ABT for Sleeping Beauty? Cuba for something?  I hope they make an announcement soon! I need to plan my schedule. I'd also like to see what Washington Ballet is doing next year. No hints there!

I don't think it's going to be ABT's Lake or Beauty as it did both 3-4 years ago at KC.  Just my guess, NYCB for Scotch Symphony, ABT for R&J, Bolshoi for Swan Lake, Mariinsky for Sleeping Beauty.  I hope Bolshoi won't bring Ratmansky's R&J as I've seen it with Toronto. I assume Bolshoi will be in Chicago also.

11 minutes ago, mussel said:

I don't think it's going to be ABT's Lake or Beauty as it did both 3-4 years ago at KC.  Just my guess, NYCB for Scotch Symphony, ABT for R&J, Bolshoi for Swan Lake, Mariinsky for Sleeping Beauty.  I hope Bolshoi won't bring Ratmansky's R&J as I've seen it with Toronto. I assume Bolshoi will be in Chicago also.

I suspect the National Ballet of Canada has North American Rights to the Ratmansky R&J.

I hope you are right about the Mariinsky bringing Sleeping Beauty!

Bolshoi hasn't been to the Kennedy Center in  many years. That would be great, if true. 

Mariinsky did SL at KC a few years ago, so I doubt that Mariinsky will be doing that ballet again so soon.  SB would be great.  During the last run the Aurora's were Vishneva, Somova and Tereshkina.  I recall there was a blizzard in DC that week, so I missed Somova's performance but saw the other casts.

The gavel in the kilt photo makes me think more of La Sylphide than Scotch Symphony.  My personal favorite kilt ballet is Union Jack.

ABT is doing SL at Wolf Trap this summer, so I would put my money on the Romeo and Juliet being danced by them.

1 hour ago, California said:

I can't find those images on the KC site or any hint about when we can expect an announcement of the dance season. Any links or info about that?

It's not on KC site, it's on KC Facebook page:

19/20 season announced: https://www.kennedy-center.org/pages/specialevents/seasonannouncement?fbclid=IwAR3A05XWNwnIr_4aj3J4K0jU-gg3abmksj0wvSb_f_-izqHz9DnS2XMQGLc

Mariinsky Ballet: Paquita Oct 8 - Oct 13, 2019

Atlanta Ballet: The Nutcracker Nov 27 - Dec 1, 2019

National Ballet of Canada: Forsythe, Kylián, Ratmansky & More (Jan. 28 & 29) / The Sleeping Beauty (Jan. 30–Feb. 2) Jan 28 - Feb 2, 2020

American Ballet Theatre: Giselle Feb 11 - Feb 16, 2020

New York City Ballet: Balanchine, Wheeldon & a New Work (Mar. 31; Apr. 1 & 5) / Peck, Balanchine/Robbins & a TBD Work (Apr. 2–4) Mar 31 - Apr 5, 2020

Scottish Ballet: The Crucible May 13 - May 17, 2020

Bolshoi Ballet: Romeo and Juliet Jun 2 - Jun 7, 2020

I see that I was wrong about the Ratmansky Romeo and Juliet and, from a selfish point of view, a little glad to have been so, as I have tickets for the Bolshoi Swan Lake this summer in London, and I was going to plotz if they brought that to D.C. However, I do know that puts me on a completely different page from Mussel and probably many other fans too and I can certainly feel for that!  I'm intrigued and pleased that Atlanta Ballet was invited to D.C. to present its new Nutcracker.  I really have no idea what people will think of it. It's not waaay out there, but not exactly for traditionalists either.

I'm still not sure what I will be able to come to D.C. to see, but will definitely try to make it to the Mariinsky Paquita.

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

I'm so curious to see Paquita in its entirety!

I expect to enjoy it, but it's kind of a made up ballet--Smekalov came up with his own story and mostly his own choreography for the first two acts, though I gather it's sort of in the manner of a traditional 19th-century work with mime etc.  (I sort of appreciate that it doesn't pretend to be something it's not.)

1 hour ago, The Traveling Ballerina said:

Hmmm...my understanding is that it's based on Cervantes' La gitanilla.

Yes--that's what I read as well.  I was thinking that "Paquita in its entirety" in this context is a hybrid amalgam .... I, too, am curious to see it. At any rate I think I'll be entertained by the first two acts and more than entertained by the third. And if I'm not entertained by the first two acts, then at least greatly compensated by the third.

Edited by Drew

Excited about this season, I’m going to try to see them all.  Especially happy to get to see the Ratmansky R&J again.  Does Obratzsova ever tour?  I know she has littles, but would love to see her Juliet.

6 hours ago, Kaysta said:

Does Obratzsova ever tour?  I know she has littles, but would love to see her Juliet.

She was a guest at ABT in one performance of Giselle several years ago. Not positive, but I think she was partnered by Cornejo. (Please correct me if somebody has a better memory.) But I've always thought: wow, I would just love to see her again. 

6 hours ago, Kaysta said:

Does Obratzsova ever tour?

Unfortunately not with the Bolshoi. But she will be dancing in “Don Quixote” opposite Isaac Hernandez next month at the Teatro Colon. She also performed with Queensland Ballet two years ago.

1 hour ago, California said:

She was a guest at ABT in one performance of Giselle several years ago. Not positive, but I think she was partnered by Cornejo. (Please correct me if somebody has a better memory.) But I've always thought: wow, I would just love to see her again. 

It's R&J.