This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Ballet Summer 2019 ROH London Residency

Now that flights and hotels are within, or are about to enter, booking range I would like to remind membership that Bolshoi Ballet will be in London for a three-week residency at the ROH between 25th July and 17th August. Programme and casting info should be posted around Christmas time. I do very much hope that they will bring the Vikharev Coppelia which I understand was last presented in London in 2010 - no cinecast or video can do justice to the real thing. Another production on the shortlist could be "La Fille du Pharaon" which I understand last came to London in 2006 - quite some while. But if I had any say I would opt for Coppelia : not only is this great classic ballet but great comedy too. As with any stage work it's the "book" which makes or breaks it :  a great story + gorgeous music + Bolshoy's dancers ...... a night to remember !

Work may take me to UK next year in late July —If so, then I will definitely try to see the Bolshoi in London. 

And I love the Bolshoi Coppelia too!

Given their current ballerina roster, I think I would be keen on seeing their Raymonda —which also seems to me one of Grigorovich’s less problematic stagings of a nineteenth-century classic. Bayadere would be exciting to see as well, though I believe they brought that to London during one of their last visits. (If they bring a Grigorovich ballet, then Legend of Love.)

From their newer repertory, I would like to see Hero of Our Time....and of course it would be, at the least, interesting if they were able to bring Nureyev.

My dates, though, if I make it, are likely to be limited—and dictated by work. I will be very lucky if I see as many as two different programs - and whatever they bring.

Edited by Drew

I'am also planning to go to London next summer. Wasn't financial not able to be there in 2013 and 2016, so really looking forward to it. I would love to see the production of Le fille du pharoan, Raymonda and maybe Romeo and Juiliet, the Grigorovich version.

I hoped they would posted the programme earlier then Christmas! Long wait before I can start planning this!

I was thinking it would be interesting to see the Royal  Ballet in LA next July, but then realized they weren't doing Mayerling, so scratch that. 

I'm really tempted by this Bolshoi season next summer in London. I'm hoping they announce rep before Christmas, but they also have a history of changing their mind, so even that will be risky. I'm hoping for their DonQ, which is still the gold standard for me, and their Raymonda, which is perhaps too risky in North America, for reasons we've discussed elsewhere.  I definitely won't bother with their bizarre Swan Lake or Spartacus, having seen those at Lincoln Center a few years ago.

6 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

I'd opt for the RB.

This sounds high-risk to me:

"The Royal Ballet will be going on tour to Los Angeles to perform the first part of a new full-length work by Wayne McGregor, with a commissioned score by Thomas Adès and designs by Tacita Dean. The work is presented as part of a large-scale collaboration, spanning two years, in partnership with the LA Phil, Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center, The Royal Ballet and Company Wayne McGregor."

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-2018-19-season-announced

22 hours ago, California said:

I was thinking it would be interesting to see the Royal  Ballet in LA next July, but then realized they weren't doing Mayerling, so scratch that. 

I'm really tempted by this Bolshoi season next summer in London. I'm hoping they announce rep before Christmas, but they also have a history of changing their mind, so even that will be risky. I'm hoping for their DonQ, which is still the gold standard for me, and their Raymonda, which is perhaps too risky in North America, for reasons we've discussed elsewhere.  I definitely won't bother with their bizarre Swan Lake or Spartacus, having seen those at Lincoln Center a few years ago.

They are doing Mayerling, though, in addition to the new McGregor work you posted about, unless something has changed: https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/1819-season/royal-ballet/

2 minutes ago, ksk04 said:

They are doing Mayerling, though, in addition to the new McGregor work you posted about, unless something has changed: https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/1819-season/royal-ballet/

Thanks for the heads-up. On the calendar page for July 2019, it looks like Mayerling is July 5-7 and the McGregor is the following weekend:

https://www.musiccenter.org/calendar/index.aspx

I consider Spartacus to be a great Grigorovich ballet and this is a wonderful opportunity for many who have never seen it live to see it, in the UK.  Michael Lobukhin is a stupendous Spartacus, and for me the best male currently performing Grigorovich repertoire "warhorses" as was written above.   No doubt Denis Rodkin will also be cast - a good role for him, too, but truthfully (and obviously this is my opinion) Lobukhin is far superior.   Bright Stream is of great interest also - many in the UK will never have seen it.  It was inevitable that Swan Lake would form part of the repertoire - it must be the biggest "seller-outer" in the world of ballet!  As for Bayadere - well, those who have not seen Alyona Kovalyova will no doubt be able to form their own opinions, since no doubt she will be featured!  

16 hours ago, Quinten said:

From the 243rd season brochure https://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/2d3/2d3b709c85217d27ef6400752121b333.pdf

THE BOLSHOI THEATRE BALLET AND ORCHESTRA IN LONDON (Great Britain)
25 JULY – 17 AUGUST 2019 ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

Spartacus, Swan Lake, La Bayadere, The Bright Stream, Taming of the Shrew

London, here I come!

Oh I hope I can make it too!!

I was actually surprised they didn't throw in something that hadn't been seen in London in a while--Legend of Love or Raymonda. But for me, during a summer when work may take me to UK, this is a pretty good line up--though I would very much have liked to see Hero of Our Time.

(I should say budget and work dates will probably determine just what I end up seeing more than strict personal preference, but Bayadere is a high priority for me.)

Edited by Drew

I'm bitterly disappointed they are not bringing the Nureyev work particular after the taster in the Russian Icons gala, however the Hochhausers always get to decide the rep.

To be blunt the last London Bolshoi season was sub standard, with a number of performances under par let down by some of the ballerinas so I very much hope they announce who they are bringing in advance.  In addition to Krysanova I'm hoping for Alexandrova and Obraztsova, and a friend who went to Milan is positively raving about Alyona Kovalyova so I'm hoping she'll repeat her Nikiya here.  As far as Swan Lake is concerned with the RB producing another dud, my memory of Grigorovich's Swan Lake turns golden in comparison, so if they field a good enough O/O I'd like to go back to it.

Like to add I'm surprised to hear Mikhail Lobukhin dances Spartacus.  With his amazing acting abilities I would have thought him better cast as Crassus.  Who has danced both roles in that ballet?  Off the top of my head I can only think of one.

Lobukhin is THE Spartacus!   That role requires great acting ability - it's not all muscles and lifts!   Although he does not have Vasiliev's spectacular jumps his is the more affecting performance.    Lobukhin is the greatest actor in all of the Bolshoi ballets I have seen  - can't really say more than that!   He is a true artist.    In the roles he dances in Golden Age, Raymonda, Spartacus, Lady of the Camellias (Gaston Rieux) - I simply cannot imagine anyone better,  He is great as Solor and Basilio also.   He dances often with Zakharova on tour.  He is a product of the Vaganova school, and has that beautiful schooling, but still he is is far better suited to the Bolshoi repertoire  No wonder he was recently made Honoured Artist!   

Lobukin and Nikulina in Spartacus:

Edited by MadameP
On 9/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, Mashinka said:

Like to add I'm surprised to hear Mikhail Lobukhin dances Spartacus.  With his amazing acting abilities I would have thought him better cast as Crassus.  Who has danced both roles in that ballet?  Off the top of my head I can only think of one.

Judging by this poster Vasiliev was supposed to dance. Crassus at the Mikhailovsky, although it’s a different choreographer.  However it seems there was a different dancer in the role during the premier  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blz2AL9AoTq/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tkcalnrvlvxm

Edited by Deflope

Specific dates for each repertoire are released: https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/10007/

Ballet Company and Orchestra Tour, London

Royal Opera House Covent Garden 

29 July - 1 August 
Aram Khachaturyan 
Spartacus 
Ballet in three acts 

2 – 6 August 
Pyotr Tchaikovsky 
Swan Lake 
Ballet in two acts 

7 & 8 August 
Dmitry Shostakovich 
The Bright Stream 
Ballet in two acts 

9 & 10 August 
Aram Khachaturyan 
Spartacus 
Ballet in three acts 

12 – 14 August 
Pyotr Tchaikovsky 
Swan Lake 
Ballet in two acts 

15 – 17 August 
Ludwig Minkus 
Don Quixote 
Ballet in three acts 

It's a pity that The Taming of the Shrew and La Bayadere are gone : (

Good Lord, what hoary repertoire. It's as though the company doesn't give a damn. "Ho-hum, three years have passed, so it's time to go back to London. Yawn."

Shameful.

On the other hand, neither Bayadère nor Shrew sold out in Milan in September, Shrew selling especially poorly, so the Hochhausers are probably wary.

21 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

On the other hand, neither Bayadère nor Shrew sold out in Milan in September, Shrew selling especially poorly, so the Hochhausers are probably wary.

Maybe La Scala didn't do a proper marketing? I could not beblieve that La Bayadere with great cast was not sold out when La Scala's Manon was sold out early. 

And The Taming of the Shrew is the best new choreography in Bolshoi in the past few years imho. It deserves to go back to London in three years.

Edited by Xiaoyi

Perhaps what La Scala didn't anticipate is that while Zakharova and Bolle together would sell out Manon, Zakharova without Bolle would not sell out. (In other words, the locals come to see him, not her, because he sells out regardless of his partner.) But Milanese patriotism only went so far, because Jacopo Tissi's performance of Bayadère sold worst of all.

As for Shrew, hundreds of tickets went unsold in Milan, and Lincoln Center was forced to offer 25% discounts in New York to sell tickets. It's already played in London, where the ballet was a success, but it may be too soon to bring it back. Still, I would rather the company had chosen something else, rather than dumping two ballets and doing the same old same old instead.

Edited by volcanohunter

A lot depends on pricing, if La Scala prices were inflated for the visitors, perhaps that's why the public stayed away.

Slightly off topic, I'm sick to death of the uninterrupted runs of RB productions, when the Bolshoi can schedule different ballets in one week it highlights the shortcomings on the RB, this tedious programming of ballets in blocks never used to be the norm.

Mashinka, I always understood that the Hochhausers had a large say in what the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky bring to London, The choice of repertory is, to be  kind about it, excessively conservative, if not down right dull. I agree about the RB's awful block programming system. Wasn't that a programming innovation introduced by Dowell after his time with ABT ? I seem to recall that we were told, at the time it was introduced, that it made it easier for the company to plan although I have always thought that it was some sort of cost cutting exercise.

Call me a conservative but I take Spartacus and Don Quixote any time over Taming if the Shrew or A Hero of Our Times, the two Bolshoi’s exclusive ballets. I saw The Shrew for the first time during the cinema broadcast and didn’t like it. I thought seeing it live in Milan would change my perception. I liked it even less. Besides what seemed like constant slapping, smacking and spanking Maillot totally ran out of steam and ideas by the second act. Such a waste of grand Schostakovich’s score to accompany an absolutely dull, unimaginative choreography. Only the energy and abandon of Bolshoi’s dancers made this ballet watchable. 

The dismal ticket sale in Milan could be explained by the fact that in early September Milanese were still enjoying their summer vacation. And yet La Bayadere sold much better than the Shrew. Interesting that the proximity of Monte Carlo to Northern Italy didn’t make Maillot any more popular with Milanese. At each performance there was plenty of folks with free tickets.  Students from La Scala school were given tickets in the Orchestra section.