Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season


Recommended Posts

On 2/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, ABT Fan said:

Yes, it will be a difficult season without Gomes. I'm dreading it. Hallberg is already a permanent guest artist with the Australian Ballet; given his near-career ending injury and long recovery a few years ago, I doubt he's looking for any other "homes"; my guess is that he's permanently dialed back for self-preservation. I wonder if Cirio will return to English National Ballet again to guest as he did last Fall through January. Lendorf is still injured and has recently been replaced for their Asia tour in March. I also don't see anyone of Gomes' or Hallberg's stature in the ranks, and I think many here will agree with you. That's why I favor a male guest artist, or two, this time around. 

My God. I'm doing all this work arrangements to be able to attend the Giselles and Harlequinades.  I just hope Osipova at least sticks to her performance.

Link to post
48 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

My God. I'm doing all this work arrangements to be able to attend the Giselles and Harlequinades.  I just hope Osipova at least sticks to her performance.

Uh oh.  I hope she does, but I'm placing my bets on her withdrawing if Hallberg is pulled.  Unless they bring in someone else to dance with her.

Link to post
22 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

Uh oh.  I hope she does, but I'm placing my bets on her withdrawing if Hallberg is pulled.  Unless they bring in someone else to dance with her.

Bingo.  She would not dance with anyone else from ABT other than Hallberg.  Is there even time to line up a new guest artist at this point for May 18?  How long does it take to get a visa?   I'm not optimistic. 

The Times article has an error.  Isn't Hallberg's next Giselle on March 9, not May 9?

Edited by abatt
Link to post
13 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Hallberg is no longer affiliated with the Bolshoi.

Thank you, Volcano Hunter.  I don't remember reading or seeing anything about his plans regarding a return  the Bolshoi  after his rehab in Australia.

Link to post
28 minutes ago, abatt said:

Bingo.  She would not dance with anyone else from ABT other than Hallberg.  Is there even time to line up a new guest artist at this point for May 18?  How long does it take to get a visa?   I'm not optimistic. 

The Times article has an error.  Isn't Hallberg's next Giselle on March 9, not May 9?

She did Giselle in 2015 at the Met with McRae: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/arts/dance/review-an-abundance-of-giselles-with-debuts-and-farewells.html

McRae is doing Manon later this spring, but with different partners. 

Osipova and Hallberg are still listed for the March 9 Giselle at ROH.

Link to post

If Hallberg cannot dance Giselle at the Met, unless ABT can get Polunin, I'll bet that Osipova will pull out.

If this happens, they should give Lane a second show paired with Cornejo.

Edited by ABT Fan
Link to post
5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

If this happens, they should give Lane a second show paired with Cornejo.

I'd put my money on Copeland, who dances with Cornejo on Monday. That seems to me a likelier bet for a replacement, assuming Cornejo is up for three Giselles in five days.

Though I do understand you said "should," to which I agree!

Edited by nanushka
Link to post
11 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

If Hallberg cannot dance Giselle at the Met, unless ABT can get Polunin, I'll bet that Osipova will pull out.

If this happens, they should give Lane a second show paired with Cornejo.

I think Osipova would probably be willing to dance with people she has done Giselle with before, such as McRae or Sarafanov.

If I were Lane, I would not want to be put out before an audience that was expecting to see Natalia Osipova.  It's a thankless opportunity.

 

Edited by abatt
Link to post
2 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I'd put my money on Copeland, who dances with Cornejo on Monday. That seems to me a likelier bet for a replacement, assuming Cornejo is up for three Giselles in five days.

Though I do understand you said "should," to which I agree!

That would only be two Giselle's for Cornejo. He's paired with Copeland once, and that's it. Lane has her Giselle matinee with Simkin.

If ABT waits till the last minute to update the casting (if Hallberg/Osipova cancel), I doubt they'd put in Copeland only because her fans won't have time to get tickets (or they'll already be sold out by then). And, I think they're very concerned about her fans.

Link to post
1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

That would only be two Giselle's for Cornejo. He's paired with Copeland once, and that's it. Lane has her Giselle matinee with Simkin.

If ABT waits till the last minute to update the casting (if Hallberg/Osipova cancel), I doubt they'd put in Copeland only because her fans won't have time to get tickets (or they'll already be sold out by then). And, I think they're very concerned about her fans.

The May 18 show is already heavily sold.  No matter who ABT throws up there, they're already laughing all the way to the bank.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

That would only be two Giselle's for Cornejo. He's paired with Copeland once, and that's it. Lane has her Giselle matinee with Simkin.

If ABT waits till the last minute to update the casting (if Hallberg/Osipova cancel), I doubt they'd put in Copeland only because her fans won't have time to get tickets (or they'll already be sold out by then). And, I think they're very concerned about her fans.

Ah, you're right of course, sorry, I didn't check closely enough.

I think if ABT has a sense that Hallberg is likely to pull out, they will push him for an answer, so that when single tickets go on sale they can be guaranteed a complete and quick sellout (all the way up through family circle) no matter what — whether for Copeland or for Hallberg/Osipova — with fewer disgruntled fans to worry about. (Obviously there will still be many of those!)

Then again, they may not care about said fans.

As for Copeland's fans, they may be disappointed that they missed out on the chance to see her, if she's subbed in at the last minute, but I don't think they'd be upset that she was given an additional performance. I think ABT might view it as their best opportunity of quelling the outrage over a late Hallberg/Osipova pullout. (Though I also think that'd be a miscalculation.)

Edited by nanushka
Link to post

I don't think  ABT  will be pushing Hallberg for an answer.  They will continue to sell their tickets using Osipova and Hallberg's names to sell out, and then at the eleventh hour they'll make the change in casting.  Most of the universe of ticket buyers will not realize that anything is amiss until they plop down into their seats and open the playbill.  It's only the super fans that pay this much attention to what's happening with casting.
 

This comment is not related to Hallberg's injury, which is obviously beyond his control.  However, it's become apparent that Hallberg doesn't have much regard for his NY fan base. 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, abatt said:

This comment is not related to Hallberg's injury, which is obviously beyond his control.  However, it's become apparent that Hallberg doesn't have much regard for his NY fan base. 

Has there been any confirmation (e.g. announcements of other engagements) that his pulling out of other Met 2018 dates was in fact due to a desire to perform elsewhere around those times? I hadn't heard any specific follow-up after that happened.

(I don't know if that's primarily what you're referring to, of course. It's just the most recent thing that seems potentially related to your comment.)

Edited by nanushka
Link to post
1 minute ago, nanushka said:

Has there been any confirmation (e.g. announcements of other engagements) that his pulling out of other Met 2018 dates was in fact due to a desire to perform elsewhere around those times? I hadn't heard any specific follow-up after that happened.

I haven't seen anything yet, and I keep checking. In fact, I looked at the Australian Ballet's site yesterday to see if they had released casting yet for their July Sleeping Beauty. Nothing yet, but it's really early. I have a feeling that he'll do one or two shows with them, like he did last year, as he's a permanent guest artist with them. That's my bet on why he pulled out of W.C. in July. As for Bayadere in May, who knows. Maybe he realized that role is too grueling for him now.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

As for Bayadere in May, who knows. Maybe he realized that role is too grueling for him now.

In which case, a statement to that effect on social media might have been a nice gesture. But then although he posts a fair amount, he seems rather reserved, and there's often not much personal detail.

(And of course commenting on the Bayadère withdrawal but not the Whipped Cream withdrawal would come across as odd.)

Edited by nanushka
Link to post

I wish they could brig in Polunin among all possible candidates. THAT would be something to see. Otherwise there are some others I know would be totally wonderful for her: Bolle, Muntagirov, even McRae. From ABT I would love to see Cornejo, in this stage of his career, being given the task. I know he would be his beautiful self even with La Osi.

Link to post

I’m doubting Osipova will come to NY for one performance if Hallberg is out. She has no real loyalty to ABT, just to Hallberg.

If ABT was smart, they would put in Simkin/Lane who has a breathtaking Giselle last year. I don’t think it’s fair for either artist to constantly be pigeonholed in matinee performances. 

Link to post

Poor David. I hope he recovers quickly. He's still listed to dance next Friday with Osipova, but I highly doubt that'll happen. Calf pulls take longer than a few days to heal and I can't imagine he'd want to take any chances given what he's been through, and with all of required jumps in Act 2.

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...