This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

At this point, the Met season is only two months away. There are still a lot of TBA's on the schedule, a few that belonged to Gomes and Hallberg.

The company just finished their month-long US tour and they're back in NYC for a minute gearing up for their two-week Asia tour later in March. I wonder if this will be sorted before that tour.

Single tickets go on sale in about a month, and I want to be able to scoop up a bunch but not without casting announced. Of course, it can certainly change. 

Also curious if Stearns will keep all of Gomes' shows that he was given, or if a few will be distributed (probably not).

Possible Bayadere casting is definitely keeping me on edge.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

At this point, the Met season is only two months away. There are still a lot of TBA's on the schedule, a few that belonged to Gomes and Hallberg.

The company just finished their month-long US tour and they're back in NYC for a minute gearing up for their two-week Asia tour later in March. I wonder if this will be sorted before that tour.

Single tickets go on sale in about a month, and I want to be able to scoop up a bunch but not without casting announced. Of course, it can certainly change. 

Also curious if Stearns will keep all of Gomes' shows that he was given, or if a few will be distributed (probably not).

Possible Bayadere casting is definitely keeping me on edge.

In the past, I feel as if all principal casting was firmed up by the time single tickets went on sale (and I only mean the two main leads, not necessarily roles like Mercutio, Espada, Prince Coffee, etc.). I could be wrong, though ... I feel as if once in a while a Siegfried isn't assigned by the time single tickets go on sale. 

The fact that both Stearns and Whiteside dance Solor and haven't been assigned to the Seo Bayadere performances leads me to believe that the company is looking at other options. Stearns now has a very taxing schedule, which might not make it feasible to take on Solor, but Whiteside has a marginally lighter load at the moment. 

If Lendorf has to pull out of his performances due to his injury, then I can't even imagine all the cast shuffling that will take place...

18 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

If Lendorf has to pull out of his performances due to his injury, then I can't even imagine all the cast shuffling that will take place...

I agree, I can't imagine all the cast shuffling either.  I really hope Lendorf doesn't miss the MET Season.  I am so looking forward to seeing him in a number of ballets, and most especially with Shevchenko.   

57 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

In the past, I feel as if all principal casting was firmed up by the time single tickets went on sale (and I only mean the two main leads, not necessarily roles like Mercutio, Espada, Prince Coffee, etc.). I could be wrong, though ... I feel as if once in a while a Siegfried isn't assigned by the time single tickets go on sale. 

The fact that both Stearns and Whiteside dance Solor and haven't been assigned to the Seo Bayadere performances leads me to believe that the company is looking at other options. Stearns now has a very taxing schedule, which might not make it feasible to take on Solor, but Whiteside has a marginally lighter load at the moment. 

Agree completely.

Yep, there is usually one or two lead roles that isn't assigned till later on. 

I really hope they're looking for guest artists (at least one) for Bayadere. This is one season when it's needed. If those are given to Stearns, they better cross their fingers and toes and pray to the almighty ballet gods that he doesn't get injured, because that'll be an unreasonable schedule.

If Lendorf returns to the Met season, hopefully he can make it through uninjured. 

44 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I really hope they're looking for guest artists (at least one) for Bayadere. This is one season when it's needed. 

I agree, or I'd be up for the role to be cast from among the corps or soloists (not Hammoudi). But perhaps with Ahn learning the role, there won't be enough coaching to go around. 

This season is, for the most part, pretty boring in terms of casting, so I wouldn't mind a guest artist. 

I really wished the company could have mustered a more exciting lineup of Swan Queens. I do look forward to revisiting Teuscher and/or Murphy, and seeing Shevchenko in her premiere. Maybe I've just been going to ABT for too many years, but it just feels like too much of the same old, same old. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

After Sarah Lane's promising but flawed Swan Lake last year I was eager to see what she would do with real rehearsal time. I think she has something to say artistically. Unfortunately she hasn't been cast. Guess Kevin M wants to wait until she's approaching 40 to give her another shot at it.

5 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

This season is, for the most part, pretty boring in terms of casting, so I wouldn't mind a guest artist. 

I really wished the company could have mustered a more exciting lineup of Swan Queens. I do look forward to revisiting Teuscher and/or Murphy, and seeing Shevchenko in her premiere. Maybe I've just been going to ABT for too many years, but it just feels like too much of the same old, same old. 

It IS pretty repetitive, other than Ratmansky.  But if the Fall season is the judge, even non-repetitive is a problem for ABT. Actually, I think the right adjective is unimaginative. Boring is also good. I always enjoyed the guest dancers; it seemed an integral part of this latest incarnation of the company, and an exciting one. This season does not excite me. 

Edited by Olga
Fine tune
10 hours ago, Olga said:

It IS pretty repetitive, other than Ratmansky.  But if the Fall season is the judge, even non-repetitive is a problem for ABT. Actually, I think the right adjective is unimaginative. Boring is also good. I always enjoyed the guest dancers; it seemed an integral part of this latest incarnation of the company, and an exciting one. This season does not excite me. 

A Sarah Lane Swan Lake would help. And as for the men, what about Tom Forster? I don't understand why they aren't trying him out on principal roles. Some people would like to see the same for Blaine Hoven. And yes, ONE male foreign guest artist would do a lot.

Yes, it is disappointing Sara Lane didnt get a Swan Lake. It was a very good debut, marred only by her reaction to the fouettes, and hindered by the lack of prep time. If by some chance she gets to do another one this Spring, I would go. Not casting her is an issue for several reasons, one of which is their lack of understanding of how to build not only dancers,  but fan loyalty. Unfortunately, I have my doubts about Forster. 

1 hour ago, Olga said:

Yes, it is disappointing Sara Lane didnt get a Swan Lake. It was a very good debut, marred only by her reaction to the fouettes, and hindered by the lack of prep time. If by some chance she gets to do another one this Spring, I would go. Not casting her is an issue for several reasons, one of which is their lack of understanding of how to build not only dancers,  but fan loyalty. Unfortunately, I have my doubts about Forster. 

I'm also confused as to why they didn't give Lane a Swan Lake.  I agree, her debut was very good, except for the fouettes, which as you point out was probably due to lack of prep time.  And if I recall correctly she was under the weather with a cold.  I especially loved her Odette.   If ABT decides to give her another Swan Lake I would go as well.  

Ditto on doubts about Forster for the principal roles.  He is nice and tall, but I just can't visualize him dancing the "prince" roles. 

If Lendorf is still injured (which I hope he's not), I certainly hope that ABT brings in a guest or two, rather than subbing with dancers who are not up to the task.    In fact, they should bring in at least one to replace Gomes anyway.  Prices are just too high to be spending on mediocre performances.

2 hours ago, Olga said:

16 hours ago, vipa said:

After Sarah Lane's promising but flawed Swan Lake last year I was eager to see what she would do with real rehearsal time. I think she has something to say artistically. Unfortunately she hasn't been cast. Guess Kevin M wants to wait until she's approaching 40 to give her another shot at it.

I couldn't agree more. Sarah Lane's Giselle was miraculous by any standards, but the fact that it was a debut made it even more remarkable. It was a fully realized interpretation.

Her Swan Lake showed that yes, she has something to say artistically. To me, that's more important than a technically flawless debut (and so few debuts aren't marred by some technical glitch or other). I hope she gets another chance when/if Copeland has to dial down to one performance or when Gillian retires the role (not that I want that to happen anytime soon!).

Forster knocked my socks off in Plato's Symposium, but I can't judge whether he could carry a full-length. ABT would need to give him the opportunities...

Edited by fondoffouettes
10 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Forster knocked my socks off in Plato's Symposium, but I can't judge whether he could carry a full-length. ABT would need to give him the opportunities...

Exactly. Just because he may not be ready yet doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't get there with the right opportunities. Maybe it shouldn't happen first at the Met — but then Ahn is debuting Solor there, which is a very big role, not just technically but also in terms of dramatic/narrative weight.

If they were doing Bayadere on the road prior to the Met, I'm sure Ahn would make his debut then.

I agree that they need to try out Forster (and Hoven). I'm on the fence about Forster handling a full-length, but he should be given a shot. He's been a soloist for three years now.

Though, anything can happen during the Met season, as we clearly saw last year with the multitude of injuries amongst the women. Last minute opportunities may open up for the male soloists out of pure necessity.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I agree that they need to try out Forster (and Hoven). I'm on the fence about Forster handling a full-length, but he should be given a shot. He's been a soloist for three years now.

Can it really go any worse than Hammoudi's various outings? I guess so, but I'd also be curious to see Forster and Hoven given the chance. 

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Maybe it shouldn't happen first at the Met — but then Ahn is debuting Solor there, which is a very big role, not just technically but also in terms of dramatic/narrative weight.

With Gomes gone and Hallberg skipping out on most of the Met season, there are so few male principals in the company that excel when it comes to dramatic/narrative weight. I'd be eager to see any up-and-coming male dancers with acting chops. Very curious to see how Ahn does with the role.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

I couldn't agree more. Sarah Lane's Giselle was miraculous by any standards, but the fact that it was a debut made it even more remarkable. It was a fully realized interpretation.

Her Swan Lake showed that yes, she has something to say artistically. To me, that's more important than a technically flawless debut (and so few debuts aren't marred by some technical glitch or other). 

Yes, her Giselle. Her acting in Act One of Giselle and the beginning of Odile was impressive. 

We will feel Marcelo’s absence. I agree that Hallberg is looking elsewhere for opportunities and obviously Simkin has found one. I have to think Cirio is too. It’s a miracle Cornejo sticks around. Is Lendorf still injured? Sorry, but I don’t see anyone of the stature of Marcelo or the particular magic of Hallberg coming up through the ranks. I’m hoping there is a Russian male principal who wants to relocate to NY. I hope NYCB gets a great director or it will really be depressing here. 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

II agree that they need to try out Forster (and Hoven). I'm on the fence about Forster handling a full-length, but he should be given a shot. He's been a soloist for three years now.

Though, anything can happen during the Met season, as we clearly saw last year with the multitude of injuries amongst the women. Last minute opportunities may open up for the male soloists out of pure necessity.

I agree that Forster and Hoven should be given a chance to develop.   And as you point out, last year's injuries gave us a chance to see some pretty amazing debuts among the women.

9 minutes ago, Olga said:

We will feel Marcelo’s absence. I agree that Hallberg is looking elsewhere for opportunities and obviously Simkin has found one. I have to think Cirio is too. It’s a miracle Cornejo sticks around. Is Lendorf still injured? Sorry, but I don’t see anyone of the stature of Marcelo or the particular magic of Hallberg coming up through the ranks. I’m hoping there is a Russian male principal who wants to relocate to NY. I hope NYCB gets a great director or it will really be depressing here. 

Yes, it will be a difficult season without Gomes. I'm dreading it. Hallberg is already a permanent guest artist with the Australian Ballet; given his near-career ending injury and long recovery a few years ago, I doubt he's looking for any other "homes"; my guess is that he's permanently dialed back for self-preservation. I wonder if Cirio will return to English National Ballet again to guest as he did last Fall through January. Lendorf is still injured and has recently been replaced for their Asia tour in March. I also don't see anyone of Gomes' or Hallberg's stature in the ranks, and I think many here will agree with you. That's why I favor a male guest artist, or two, this time around. 

2 hours ago, Balanchinomane said:

I just saw a tweet from @theballetbag from the Royal Opera House.
David Hallberg suffered an injury. Replaced by Matthew Ball for act 2 Giselle.
Will watch for updates.

Oh no. Please post any updates if you're able. Thank you.