This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck...........

2 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

Wow canbelto, that's kind of bizarre that they both blocked you. Bizarre and uncalled for.

It does seem rather extreme to hunt down and block canbelto's IG account, particularly considering that canbelto merely linked the publicly available IG posts without any commentary and took down those links once the original posts had been altered or deleted. 

6 minutes ago, nanushka said:

It does seem rather extreme to hunt down and block canbelto's IG account, particularly considering that canbelto merely linked the publicly available IG posts without any commentary and took down those links once the original posts had been altered or deleted. 

It also accomplishes nothing. Canbelto or anyone else for that matter can access anyone’s public Instagram account from a web browser if they wish. 

14 hours ago, Birdsall said:

I also have a good friend whose husband left her for a man while she was pregnant. It was very traumatic. So, yes, I know that there are sensitive issues at play, BUT I bet she's glad she's not being fooled anymore! If I were a woman I would be thankful that my husband didn't keep hiding it and waste my precious time looking for someone who really wants me. Who wants to live a lie? The Truth is always the best, in my opinion. Best for everyone in the long run.

Off topic -- Couldn't even wait till the baby was born, huh? What a prince. In this day and age – if I were such a pregnant young wife I’d want to punch him in the face and that would just be the start, barring some awesome explanation which I doubt would be forthcoming. Now she's stuck with this guy as the father of her child. What can she do but make the best of it? I hope she took him to the cleaners.

Kathleen O'Connell wrote:

However, it's entirely possible that they took them down out of a concern for the feelings of others – perhaps their respective exes*, perhaps members of one or both of their families – rather than the sudden realization that they might have outed themselves. 

Career reasons, possibly. Being known as a gay male ballet dancer, or even a gay male dancer generally, is not that big a deal, but even so not many talk about it or are willing to discuss their private lives as many straight dancers do freely. If you have ambitions as a romantic male lead in theater it gets dicier, particularly if you are thinking Hollywood, which I expect has at least crossed the minds of both these gentlemen.

39 minutes ago, dirac said:

Career reasons, possibly. Being known as a gay male ballet dancer, or even a gay male dancer generally, is not that big a deal, but even so not many talk about it or are willing to discuss their private lives as many straight dancers do freely. If you have ambitions as a romantic male lead in theater it gets dicier, particularly if you are thinking Hollywood, which I expect has at least crossed the minds of both these gentlemen.

As others have suggested, though, the fact that numerous photos, captions and comments were posted in the first place doesn't fit very well with this particular explanation — unless they were being really naive about the interpretive acuity of their thousands of followers.

To me, their actions suggest they may be more comfortable with people knowing than with people talking about their relationship. (Good luck maintaining that distinction! Obviously the Ballet Alert community, at least, isn't uniformly willing to play along.)

51 minutes ago, dirac said:

Hmmm ... could be. Although Neal Patrick Harris, Zachary Quinto, and a host of others seem to be doing OK. 

4 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Hmmm ... could be. Although Neal Patrick Harris, Zachary Quinto, and a host of others seem to be doing OK. 

Yeah, we're reaching a tipping point where one loses more respect (though obviously in the eyes of different constituencies) by remaining closeted (at least if it's an "open secret") than by coming out.

(And before anyone gets upset, I'm not accusing Fairchild or Day of being closeted or criticizing them if they are.)

38 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

You’ll note I said romantic lead. Quinto is best known for playing.......Spock. Neil Patrick Harris did have the role of a straight playboy on TV in How I Met Your Mother, but he didn’t come out till after that series was already on the air. Before his late incarnation as a ubiquitous awards show host, he was perhaps best known as Doogie Howser and the Sesame Street Fairy Shoe Person.

And a “host” of others? It’s become that easy for out gay actors? It doesn't seem so to me, but I could be wrong, of course.

I think Rannells’ work has been in playing gay characters (Girls, New Normal, Falsettos). 

Jonathan Groff plays a straight man in Mindhunter. 

I do think Hollywood (and even Broadway) still has a bias against casting gay men in lead roles, especially if it’s a romantic lead. I understand if it’s a concern for either Fairchild or Day. 

Edited by yukionna4869

I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that Fairchild (or Day—though I know significantly less about him) is aiming to be the next Brad Pitt. Dance and musical theater (even if onscreen) would seem to be more where he's headed. And that's basically the realm (or adjacent to it) in which the above-mentioned male leads have thrived while out.

If Fairchild and Day are gay and wanted to remain closeted for professional reasons, I suspect their IG feeds would have looked quite different from how they looked a week ago, and even from how they look right now.

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

If Fairchild and Day are gay and wanted to remain closeted for professional reasons, I suspect their IG feeds would have looked quite different from how they looked a week ago, and even from how they look right now.

100% this. I agree the poster who said that what seems to bother them is that people are talking about it. 

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

They aren't really known as romantic leads or fantasy fodder for magazines.

11 Gay Male Celebrities That All Women Dream About

19 minutes ago, dirac said:

And a “host” of others? It’s become that easy for out gay actors? It doesn't seem so to me, but I could be wrong, of course.

65 Hottest Gay Male Actors

53 Openly Gay Actors Who Are Out, Proud & Smokin' Hot

It's a whole new world out there.

1 minute ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'm not sure these links make a convincing case regarding Hollywood being a whole new Hollywood when it comes to romantic leads. But it would be nice to think I am out of date.  

(I wouldn't speculate about Fairchild's motives or issues. There are a million reasons why he could have changed his mind about his social media uploads. He IS a great and truly distinctive and utterly charming dancer with tremendous charisma--and since I care about ballet more than I care about Broadway or Film or even other kinds of dance, I would be thrilled to see him land back in a ballet company! But of course I wish him all success whatever he does. And if he can be a ballet ambassador to other art forms--so much the better.)

3 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

It also accomplishes nothing. Canbelto or anyone else for that matter can access anyone’s public Instagram account from a web browser if they wish. 

I imagine It does accomplish sending a message of displeasure, and desire not to be involved (whether through instagram or in the theater or wherever or however) with the person, and doesn't it also eliminate her ability to post on their pages as well as Fairchild getting an automatic feed of her postings. 

I personally was quite shocked by the content Robbie was posting on Instagram recently; it felt like he had literally replaced Tiler with Day overnight (identical pictures of their dogs replacing Tiler's dog with Day's etc.)  It was particularly surprising given he had witnessed his sister suffer through a very painful/public (at least within NYCB) breakup very recently.  I'm guessing Megan had a "sisterly chat" with Robbie about how broadcasting his new relationship was hurting people (Tiler) and he may have blocked Canbelto in a fit of impulsive embarrassment. 

We don't know why any of this happened, since he hasn't issued a public statement.  We only know the facts, which are that his and Day's posts, photos, and comments were on Instagram, some of them, including links that were posted here, are gone, and he's unfollowed canbelto after she posted links to his public-facing social media in there original form after they had been seen many times by many followers and lurkers, a far larger community than Ballet Alert!

1 hour ago, Olga said:

I imagine It does accomplish sending a message of displeasure, and desire not to be involved (whether through instagram or in the theater or wherever or however) with the person, and doesn't it also eliminate her ability to post on their pages as well as Fairchild getting an automatic feed of her postings. 

I never posted on their pages. All it means is if I sign into instagram with my official handle, I can't see their postings. And they never saw my postings as they did not follow me back. But as someone else pointed out, if I sign out of my instagram account I can still see their pages. Basically, their posts are still available for anyone to see who has internet access. 

2 hours ago, FITTB85 said:

I personally was quite shocked by the content Robbie was posting on Instagram recently; it felt like he had literally replaced Tiler with Day overnight (identical pictures of their dogs replacing Tiler's dog with Day's etc.)  It was particularly surprising given he had witnessed his sister suffer through a very painful/public (at least within NYCB) breakup very recently.  I'm guessing Megan had a "sisterly chat" with Robbie about how broadcasting his new relationship was hurting people (Tiler) and he may have blocked Canbelto in a fit of impulsive embarrassment. 

I can understand that being the case. I remember when a friend bought the same special perfume in Paris for his new partner that he used to buy for his ex-wife (with whom he was still friends) It was a bit of a shock to all of us, seemed somehow an act of disloyalty. Or like an incident from a Hitchcock film. 

Regarding dirac's commented on the guy coming out during his wife's pregnancy, I agree and sense the relationship might have been entered in a bit of bad faith on his part.

Edited by Quiggin

It’s interesting that this topic had gone pretty quiet relatively quickly, but then the photos/captions were changed/removed and canbelto was blocked and BOOM, the conversation got lively. They can’t put the genie back in the bottle and attempting to do so just makes people discuss it even more. My tween seems to have a better grasp of how social media works. You can have both a public and a private Instagram, and even then you should never put anything out there that you may wish to take back. 

They aren't really known as romantic leads or fantasy fodder for magazines.

Drew, I wanted to note that I didn’t see your reply before I replied to Kathleen initially, but that is indeed what I meant. I didn’t mean to ignore what you wrote.

Kathleen, thank you for the links. I took a look. It's nice that gay actors have made progress, and I never said they haven't, but I saw nothing  there that inclines me to take back what I initially wrote.