This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Simone Messmer (ABT Soloist) Leaving to San Francisco

Thank you, Pherank. I thought what was meant was someone else from ABT. Phew!

You mean Bolle, Cornejo, Gomes, Hallberg, Herrera, Kent, Murphy, Osipova, Part, Semionova, Simkin, Stearns, Vasliev and Vishneva aren't enough for you? ;)

(Not to mention Boone, Copeland and Radetsky who all went to SFB School)

Thank you, Pherank. I thought what was meant was someone else from ABT. Phew!

You mean Bolle, Cornejo, Gomes, Hallberg, Herrera, Kent, Murphy, Osipova, Part, Semionova, Simkin, Stearns, Vasliev and Vishneva aren't enough for you? ;)

(Not to mention Boone, Copeland and Radetsky who all went to SFB School)

Now I'm missing the drift here. I'm not sure why you're naming the principal dancers. I just thought you meant that someone else besides Simone Messmer was leaving ABT for SFB.

Now I'm missing the drift here. I'm not sure why you're naming the principal dancers. I just thought you meant that someone else besides Simone Messmer was leaving ABT for SFB.

Just making a quip, Angelica. Nothing to worry about.

I was just commenting on the personnel changes (that were being leaked out) - all involving SFB.

Haha, pherank, thanks for cluing me in. As an aside, it's so sad what's happening at ABT.

That's part of what I was referring to though - despite individual people's complaints - ABT continues to attract first-rate dancers from all over the world. NYCB gest plenty of criticism these days as well, but it remains a world-class company. I think all the criticism goes with the territory of being a major company.

There is one thing more that I would like to add. Having seen four of Simone Messmer's Swan Lake appearances last week, I noticed something *Remarkable* that I've never seen before in a ballet dancer.

* Her Moves seemed to have Their Own Language *

Rather than being classically beautiful in purpose, they seemed to be calligraphic, a sign language for what she wanted to say. There was a completely different feel and intent from the normal, lyrical flow, that draws me to ballet. Yet in perhaps in a totally different ballet language she produced something equally as beautiful and compellingly meaningful.

Once again -- Fascinating !

And once again, Simone Messmer:

"Over the last couple of years, something’s happened to my dancing. I’ve really come into my own, and I need more, because I just want to learn more and grow.

"I’m just trying to really experience it and make sure that I’m behaving and presenting myself the way I want to be seen, and I think something has sort of occurred with my dancing. I feel like I’m dancing well, and I feel like I’m dancing freer. It makes me happy….

"I’m beginning the highlights of my career, and I need to treat it as such."

[spelling correction made]

I will be very, very sorry not to be able to see Simone Messmer in New York any longer, but I have a feeling she's making a good move for her career. When she was promoted to soloist I was a little puzzled as to why -- she had never made an impression on me as a corps member as, to give two examples, Isabella Boylston and Leann Underwood did. However, as soon as I started paying attention to her in soloist roles I was totally won over. She is a beautiful, individual, and fascinating dancer, and she should be in an atmosphere where her talent is appreciated and used.

On my way home from the San Francisco Ballet Froustey/Messmer Giselle. More to say on the SFB forum later, but after seeing Messmer's Myrtha, I have to ask, has New York taken leave of what I can only assume are its limited senses? You let a dancer as good as Messmer get away? Are you collectively nuts or what?

"New York" in this case would presumably mean the leadership of ABT which sometimes seemed not quite to know what to do with Messmer--a problem aggravated by the context of their often limited repertory. Which is nuts enough.

(Ratmansky did feature her--and brilliantly in Firebird for example.)