Helene

Misty Copeland, Part Deux

dirac   

Copeland gives a ballet lesson on Live with Jimmy Kimmel.

Misty taught them many of the principles of ballet. Jimmy desired to be called a "ballerino" and not a dancer. While Jimmy and Guillermo thought they had perfect form, Misty made sure to keep them in check and let them know they weren't meeting her standards.

dirac   

Adding to this that in the context of the show, the segment was shown at the beginning of the broadcast, not the tail end, took up a fair amount of time, and the finale included other dancers from ABT as well as Misty. The jokes about how funny guys look in tutus were fairly obvious, but viewers could learn what a changement is.

Drew   

I was very (and pleasantly) surprised the segment was at the beginning of the show and as long as it was. It's ... uh ... not really my sensibility but I did laugh a bit at Kimmel claiming Copeland was so critical of his ballet dancing because she was jealous of his remarkable talent etc.

Stecyk   

New York Times (subscription might be required): The Rise and Rise of Misty Copeland.

I believe the online version was available on December 19, 2015. A version of this article appears in print on December 20, 2015, on page ST12 of the New York edition with the headline: Misty Copeland Takes Flight.

Plisskin   

If you have Netflix you can now watch Misty's documentary "A Ballerina's Tale" on there. I'm half way through it and it's really good.

Pretty spectacular and expensive to stage, with gorgeous costumes and background figures to match. I was reminded, however, of Tiler Peck's portrayal of Degas's Little Dancer last year and the exquisitely beautiful pose she struck as the dancer. I'll have to read the article to see the reason for the project of Misty as a Degas dancer.

Yes! I saw some of those on her Insta and absolutely loved them. Besides being stunningly beautiful pictures, the sentiment is both creative and eloquent. I especially loved the first picture ik the green dress and the last picture in the bluish-white frilly affair. Wonderful!

Barbara   

I think Misty looked stunning! Best gown I've seen her in - some gowns can overpower a shorter woman. Did not like the very dark lips on many of the young women. But what do I know :dunno:

sandik   

I thought Copeland looked much more comfortable in her gown than many of the other women there, and it occurred to me that it's perhaps about wearing a costume.

choriamb   

Agreed...she looks natural in a way the others don't. (I also imagine that maintaining a pleasant expression in high heels is child's play after doing so in pointe shoes.)

abatt   

I think most celebs that are invited to and attend the Met gala want their dresses to be red carpet standouts and make headlines. It's almost like the Oscars in terms of status. Misty looked terrific, but that was a very conservative and "safe" choice in the context of this particular gala.

sandik   

Interesting.  She's going to be speaking here in Seattle next month at the University of Washington.  Perhaps this will come up...

dirac   
On 2/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, maps said:

Steph Curry is awesome on so many levels. :)

dirac   

A profile of Copeland by Aaron Hicklin in The Guardian.

Copeland did not always perceive the prejudice she was up against as plainly as she does today. As an adolescent, dance was a safe harbour where she felt entirely at home. “Going to a school in southern California that was very diverse I never felt like I fitted in,” she says. “But stick me in a ballet studio surrounded by white girls, and I was, like: ‘Oh, I belong here.’ I wasn’t even thinking about the colour of my skin.”

sandik   
1 hour ago, dirac said:

A profile of Copeland by Aaron Hicklin in The Guardian.

Thanks for the link -- she's speaking here in Seattle in a couple of weeks.