This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Legends of ballet: Stars of NYCB and ABT

I'm doing this on an iPhone I'm so excited. Hope this pastes right. From the page;

LEGENDS OF BALLET: Stars of American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet

A thrilling collection of performances by stars of American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet, including Jacques dAmboise, Allegra Kent, Lupe Serrano, Royes Fernandez, Violette Verdy, André Eglevsky, Melissa Hayden, as well as international dancers Alicia Alonso and Mia Slavenska. Highlights include New York City Ballets production of George Balanchines innovative ballet Square Dance, featuring the cast of the 1957 premiere, which included a square dance caller; the rarely performed Pas de Quatre with an all-star cast; the Rose Adagio Scene from Sleeping Beauty (choreographed by Eglevsky); scenes from Giselle and Sylvia, and more. Color performances from the Bell Telephone Hour, 1960-1965.

Color, 68 minutes, 4:3, NTSC (Playable all regions)

Square Dance (Balanchine) 13:25

Patricia Wilde, Nicholas Magallanes, New York City Ballet Corps de Ballet, with Elisha Keeler, caller and librettist

Concerto for Art Lovers (Nelson) 7:43

Jacques dAmboise, Gene Nelson, Allegra Kent, Taina Elg

Scenes from Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Nights Dream (Saddler) 9:46

Violette Verdy and Jacques dAmboise

Pas de Quatre (Dolin) 10:41

Alicia Alonso, Melissa Hayden, Nora Kaye, Mia Slavenska

The Sleeping Beauty: Aurora's Act I Variation, Jewels Variation, and Rose Adagio (Eglevsky) 9:25

Melissa Hayden, André Eglevsky, Francisco Moncion, Conrad Ludlow, Michael Lland

Giselle: Act II Pas de Deux & Finale (Eglevsky) 7:38

Lupe Serrano, Royes Fernandez

Sylvia: Pas de Deux (Balanchine) 8:26

Allegra Kent, Jacques dAmboise

Yeah, it's disappointing that the other CBC broadcasts haven't come out yet. I'm also eager for Divert 15. But they were releasing the Bell Telephone Hour before the CBC ones so maybe they just wanted to clear the boards. I had been waiting for the Sylvia and Square Dance.

I hope this has not been posted before. The price has decreased from $35.00 to $27.99 on Amazon.com - N.

Description from VAI Music: http://www.vaimusic.com/DVD-B/4581.html

LEGENDS OF BALLET: Stars of American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet

A thrilling collection of performances by stars of American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet, including Jacques d’Amboise, Allegra Kent, Lupe Serrano, Royes Fernandez, Violette Verdy, André Eglevsky, Melissa Hayden, as well as international dancers Alicia Alonso and Mia Slavenska. Highlights include New York City Ballet’s production of George Balanchine’s innovative ballet Square Dance, featuring the cast of the 1957 premiere, which included a square dance caller; the rarely performed Pas de Quatre with an all-star cast; the “Rose Adagio Scene” from Sleeping Beauty (choreographed by Eglevsky); scenes from Giselle and Sylvia, and more.

Color performances from the Bell Telephone Hour, 1960-1965.

Color, 68 minutes, 4:3, NTSC (Playable all regions) Square Dance (Balanchine) 13:25

Patricia Wilde, Nicholas Magallanes, New York City Ballet Corps de Ballet, with Elisha Keeler, caller and librettist Concerto for Art Lovers (Nelson) 7:43

[i think one can see Suzanne Farrell dancing in the corps).

Jacques d‘Amboise, Gene Nelson, Allegra Kent, Taina Elg Scenes from Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Saddler) 9:46

Violette Verdy and Jacques d’Amboise Pas de Quatre (Dolin) 10:41

Alicia Alonso, Melissa Hayden, Nora Kaye, Mia Slavenska The Sleeping Beauty: Aurora's Act I Variation, “Jewels” Variation, and Rose Adagio (Eglevsky) 9:25

Melissa Hayden, André Eglevsky, Francisco Moncion, Conrad Ludlow, Michael Lland Giselle: Act II Pas de Deux & Finale (Eglevsky) 7:38

Giselle: Act II Pas de Deux & Finale (Eglevsky) 7:38
Lupe Serrano, Royes Fernandez

Sylvia: Pas de Deux (Balanchine) 8:26
Allegra Kent, Jacques d’Amboise

I have this video. The real find is Patricia Wilde as the main girl in Square Dance. She's absolutely magnificent -- fast, powerful, basically everything we expect from Square Dance.

The Sylvia pas de deux is rare footage we have of Allegra Kent at her peak. Kent always said that whenever they were filming her she was either coming back from injury or pregnant so there's no real good footage of her dance on film. The Sylvia is an exception.

Wow, THE Square Dance available at last! One has always had to go to the Dance Collection and view that kinescope (an adventure in itself) until now. As Croce said, 'Wilde was the WHOLE show.' And Sylvia pdd with KENT!! and any footage at all of the wonderful Lupe Serrano (if only there were any of her alternating double fouettes with a la second turns, as she frequently did to amazing effect....)

There is more footage of Lupe Serrano in the just-released VAI DVD 4586 - "ABT: Historic Bell Telephone Hour Telecasts 1959-1962". In addition to a repeat of the Elgevsky bits and pieces from Giselle Act II; there is Le Corsaire Pas de deux with Nureyev, and Balanchine's Raymonda Grand Pas de Dix with Royes Fernandez.