This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Breaking Pointe Season Two

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

Ballet West dancers are back on TV in season two of Breaking Pointe:

http://www.balletwes.../BreakingPointe

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Season 2 premiere Monday night.

What members of Ballet West are hoping to see is more dancing in Season 2. That’s pretty much a given, because Season 1 was only six episodes. Season 2 is 10.

"It certainly seemed that way in production, but we never know what’s going to happen once they go into the editing room," Sklute said.

Fingers crossed.

#3 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Looking forward to the premier tonight... here's to hoping there is more dancing than last season!

I still enjoyed the show last season though...

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I broke down and watched it - still unnervingly juvenile television. 

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

http://www.cwtv.com/...0d-c001a1056491

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

eek I couldn't bear it after 5 minutes!!!

#7 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

They kept saying Wendy Ellis Somes and I kept waiting for them to say Frederic Ashton. But I am glad that's the version of Cinderella they will be working on all season...

#8 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

I do think Adam Sklute has great taste in rep.  I'd go see all of the works that he's programmed.  I know I am double the age of most of the BWII kids, but yeesh, I hope this isn't true to life for most companies.  

#9 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

This first episode doesn't bode well for the 2nd season.  Another boring relationship's travails, the two new characters seem extremely unappealing so far, and no dancing to speak of.

I hope we get to see some real coaching from Wendy Ellis Somes.  I will gladly (well, almost) sit through all the made for teen audience aspects of the show for that!

#10 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I totally agree, the first episode was simply awful. What a terrible example for young dancers. I was enchanted by Beckanne last season but to see her drunk (as well as others) was a big disappointment. I cringed every time I heard her say, "I's and Chase's relationship..." I really hope I misheard her.

I have a question that's been nagging at me since last season - they refer to Christianne as a prima ballerina. I know she's a principle artist but prima? In my mind I reserve that title for dancers like Fonteyn or Plisetskaya (or many more that could be named). Opinions, anyone?

#11 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I totally agree, the first episode was simply awful. What a terrible example for young dancers. I was enchanted by Beckanne last season but to see her drunk (as well as others) was a big disappointment. I cringed every time I heard her say, "I's and Chase's relationship..." I really hope I misheard her.

I have a question that's been nagging at me since last season - they refer to Christianne as a prima ballerina. I know she's a principle artist but prima? In my mind I reserve that title for dancers like Fonteyn or Plisetskaya (or many more that could be named). Opinions, anyone?

I take it Christianne means she is the company's "Prima Ballerina" (their top dog as it were)--I had a slight mental hiccup the first time I heard her say it, but I accept a certain amount of contextual latitude in how terms like "Ballerina" and "Prima Ballerina" are used. And in fact don't begrudge her the term at all.

(Also don't know if the producers are pushing this or if it's the term the company likes to use for her or ...well, whatever. But I think the general audience does likely want to see a show that includes "ballerinas" not just principal dancers.)

#12 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

This is my first viewing. The Director seems nice enough so far. He calls the dancers "Ladies and Gentlemen."

I liked a few of the scenes where the 'coaches' and dancers describe how they think the best posturing should  be, etc.

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well, young dancers are just that - young. They went to a party and tied one on.  As Ian noted on the show, enjoying yourself too much has its risks at what is in effect an office party, but I saw no degenerate goings-on - Ronnie never even took his shirt off  - and these young people work pretty hard at their day job.

Sisk said "Chase and I's" and I think she said it once. I did wince but it's a common error and I've winced hearing/ reading it in some unexpected quarters.

If the show follows an arc similar to last season's, which focused more on dance and company life as the series went on, that wouldn't be so bad. Some of this isn't easy to watch, but then I'm not the CW's target demographic. A problem for the show as a reality show is the lack of a breakout personality to provide a focus and I don't think they're going to find one in this lot. (There is nothing wrong, of course, with not being promising material for a fun reality show.)

I still think it's good in itself to have a show like this focused on a ballet company, so I'll hang with it as long as it's around. The ratings were down from last season's debut and they were already small so that's not a good sign. However, the show's online following saved it the last time around. We'll see.

#14 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm hoping Christina Bennett gets to show a different side than the first season "crying at the coming end of the career" and "the younger competition makes me nervous".   Surely this beautiful dancer has other interesting things going on her life? 

#15 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

I still think it's good in itself to have a show like this focused on a ballet company, so I'll hang with it as long as it's around. The ratings were down from last season's debut and they were already small so that's not a good sign. However, the show's online following saved it the last time around. We'll see.

Very much my feelings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):