This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Simone Messmer (ABT Soloist) Leaving to San Francisco

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Haha, pherank, thanks for cluing me in. As an aside, it's so sad what's happening at ABT.

#32 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Haha, pherank, thanks for cluing me in. As an aside, it's so sad what's happening at ABT.

That's part of what I was referring to though - despite individual people's complaints - ABT continues to attract first-rate dancers from all over the world. NYCB gest plenty of criticism these days as well, but it remains a world-class company. I think all the criticism goes with the territory of being a major company.

#33 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

Messmer herself says that a Bolshoi danseur is headed for SFB, but I've heard no confirmation of that. And I should say that SFB has made no official statements yet.

SFB just confirmed that Dmitriy Zagrebin from the Bolshoi Ballet will join the company.

https://www.facebook...23251292&type=1

#34 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

There is one thing more that I would like to add. Having seen four of Simone Messmer's Swan Lake appearances last week, I noticed something *Remarkable* that I've never seen before in a ballet dancer. 

* Her Moves seemed to have Their Own Language *

Rather than being classically beautiful in purpose, they seemed to be calligraphic, a sign language for what she wanted to say. There was a completely different feel and intent from the normal, lyrical flow, that draws me to ballet. Yet in perhaps in a totally different ballet language she produced something equally as beautiful and compellingly meaningful.

Once again -- Fascinating !

And once again, Simone Messmer:

"Over the last couple of years, something’s happened to my dancing. I’ve really come into my own, and I need more, because I just want to learn more and grow.

"I’m just trying to really experience it and make sure that I’m behaving and presenting myself the way I want to be seen, and I think something has sort of occurred with my dancing. I feel like I’m dancing well, and I feel like I’m dancing freer. It makes me happy….

"I’m beginning the highlights of my career, and I need to treat it as such."

[spelling correction made]

#35 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

I will be very, very sorry not to be able to see Simone Messmer in New York any longer, but I have a feeling she's making a good move for her career. When she was promoted to soloist I was a little puzzled as to why -- she had never made an impression on me as a corps member as, to give two examples, Isabella Boylston and Leann Underwood did. However, as soon as I started paying attention to her in soloist roles I was totally won over. She is a beautiful, individual, and fascinating dancer, and she should be in an atmosphere where her talent is appreciated and used. 

#36 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

On my way home from the San Francisco Ballet Froustey/Messmer Giselle. More to say on the SFB forum later, but after seeing Messmer's Myrtha, I have to ask, has New York taken leave of what I can only assume are its limited senses? You let a dancer as good as Messmer get away? Are you collectively nuts or what?

#37 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

"New York" in this case would presumably mean the leadership of ABT  which sometimes seemed not quite to know what to do with Messmer--a problem aggravated by the context of their often limited repertory. Which is nuts enough.

(Ratmansky did feature her--and brilliantly in Firebird for example.)

#38 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Unfortunately, it happens in both directions:  the West Coast has its own selective blindness.

#39 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, it happens in both directions:  the West Coast has its own selective blindness.

So does this mean we should all be in the middle of the continent?

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

If we were, all of this could be going on, and we'd never hear about it...

#41 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I'm so glad she is doing well in San Francisco.   Myrta was one of the first featured roles I saw her in at ABT, and in a season where Part and Murphy were also cast, she stood out for her own interpretation.  She is a real loss for us in New York.  Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):