This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

POB Headed to NYC in 2012

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Did anyone see the Air France Le Parc TV commerical? I wonder if it's part of the upcoming POB US tour tie in. Absolutely beautiful. The most beautiful airline TV spot I've ever seen.

Agreed! For those who haven't seen it, it's now on YouTube:

The Mozart is particularly beautiful. Nice to see such class in a TV commercial.

Air France has posted a fascinating 3 minute documentary about how the commercial was made:

#17 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

POB schedules at the State Theater Lincoln Center Festival announced: http://www.lincolnce...is-opera-ballet

Suite en Blanc by Serge Lifar
L’Arlésienne by Roland Petit
Boléro by Maurice Béjart

Wed, July 11 at 8:00
Thu, July 12 at 8:00
Sun, July 15 at 8:00

Giselle
Fri, July 13 at 8:00
Sat, July 14 at 2:00
Sat, July 14 at 8:00
Tue, July 17 at 8:00
Wed, July 18 at 8:00
Thu, July 19 at 8:00

Orpheus and Eurydice
Fri, July 20 at 8:00
Sat, July 21 at 8:00
Sun, July 22 at 3:00

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

According to the email I received today, presales for "Friends" (password-enabled) for the Lincoln Center Festival 2012 are open, and general sales will open 2 April.

Paris Opera Ballet will perform the Coralli/Perrot "Giselle", the Bausch "Orpheus and Eurydice, which exists on DVD (Belair, 2008) with Gillot and Bridard, and a triple bill of Lifar's "Suite Blanc", Petit's "L'Arlesienne", and Bejart's "Bolero":

http://lincolncenter...is-opera-ballet

#19 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Me too. Giselle is a 'cheap way out' - two acts, relatively short = no chance of overtime pay to unions.

There is nothing "cheap" about arts programming and/or touring. Clearly you aren't an arts administrator. Posted Image

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't think anyone thinks that tours or presenting ballet is cheap, but as far as touring a full-length, I think these things are relative in terms of costs. "Giselle" has, at most, two costumes per dancer, and is a relatively short ballet as full-lengths go. (Sometimes "Giselle" is paired with a short ballet.) I would guess that Romantic tutus are less fussy to ship than pancake tutus.

Unlike the Bolshoi "Le Corsaire", which they cut down to three hours to avoid overtime, with its hordes of costumes, "Giselle" is relatively cheap, although with one intermission, the in-house bar loses potential sales.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Me too. Giselle is a 'cheap way out' - two acts, relatively short = no chance of overtime pay to unions.

There is nothing "cheap" about arts programming and/or touring. Clearly you aren't an arts administrator. Posted Image

I'm with Brioche. We may not be arts administrators but we are Ticket Buyers. Sorta important. And I choose to NOT BUY for anything Cheap. Better to save my money and take one or two trips to Europe to see 'grand ballet' as it is intended to be performed, a-la 'Raymonda' at La Scala...or a Defile in Paris..or most Bolshoi classical productions. Not cheap scaffolding passing for a 'set' at yet another Ratmansky production (the 'centerpiece' of the Kennedy Center's upcoming season).

#22 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Pricing:

Orchestra & 1st Ring:
$25, 65, 95, 125, 150

2nd Ring:
$25, 65, 95, 125

3rd Ring:
$25, 65, 95

4th Ring:
$25, 65

5th Ring:
$25

4th & 5th Rings won't be available until the lower rings are filled.

#23 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Any word about when the castings will be announced? I am particularly interested in who will dance Giselle.

Thanks in advance,

Len

#24 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

Well casting is always late with POB but usually, earlier for tours... I will post news as soon as available...

#25 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

The POB pre-sale seemed to be pretty brisk. I was at the box office today, there're 5 people in front of me, 4 of them were buying POB tickets, by the time I reached the front of line, there're 7 people behind me but didn't know if they were trying to buy POB tickets. Some of the tickets are slightly cheaper for week nights, for example the $65 seats cost $55 for week nights. I've got very good seats for my price bracket. If you're a NYCB subscriber, you should have received a letter from NYCB containing a code which enables you to buy tickets during the pre-sale period.

#26 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

What happened to the castings link someone posted earlier today?

#27 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Actually it seems it was a little bit too early to publish them... so they have been withdrawn...

#28 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

not sure if this data is linked or posted elsewhere, but f.y.i. a POB press conf. today at the Cultural Services of the French Embassy included a handout with the following casting information for the US tour.

Attached Files

#29 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

POB experts, who are from POB are must see, and whom to avoid. Thanks

#30 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks, rg!!!

Some interesting pairings for Giselle. I wonder if Pagliero will still do the Peasant Pd2 now that she's étoile.

Dupont in Boléro will certainly be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):