New York City Ballet Moves

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 checkwriter

checkwriter

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

That's the name of the new touring troupe announced today. Sounds like sort of a "NYCB Lite," bringing quality ballet to summer resort destinations across the country . . . .

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

What wonderful news! And they're bringing musicians with them! I rather wish there was a NYCB junior company to come visit the college tour... there's very little real ballet coming through... the best we might hope for aroun dhere usually is a "stars of"... more often it's contemporary ballet or these small Russian o companies (which is real ballet, of course, and interesting, but still, i would that our university population outside of the few main cities would know something of what American ballet companies can do)

#3 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for posting the article, sounds like a most inspired idea, frankly. but with the real stars, not really 'NYCB Lite', except insofar as they have to adjust to small auditoriums and the like.

#4 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

and of course, it would be nice for the universities to see some Balanchine once in a while... I wonder if a Balanchine ballet has ever been presented, for instance, on stage by anyone, at the University of Connecticut. I can't tell you the number of "educated" people I've met with advanced degrees who have never heard of him. It's a disgrace that this can be so.

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

I think Morphoses used to be a regular source of additional income for some NYCB dancers. Now that Morphoses (in its original incarnation) is finished, "Moves" seems like a great alternative for them to dance more weeks and earn additional money.

#6 checkwriter

checkwriter

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

I think Morphoses used to be a regular source of additional income for some NYCB dancers. Now that Morphoses (in its original incarnation) is finished, "Moves" seems like a great alternative for them to dance more weeks and earn additional money.

I'm not sure that Morphoses is "finished" so much as "morphed." While Wheeldon may have abandoned his baby, there are others who are continuing with its care and feeding. That said, I also wonder whether with the shortened Saratoga season, this new troupe will end up saving the company money in the long run.

#7 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

This is indeed good news. I do find the first season repertoire disappointing. Out of seven works, three Martins, and only one Balanchine!

#8 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

This is indeed good news. I do find the first season repertoire disappointing. Out of seven works, three Martins, and only one Balanchine!

To say the least, LiLing. Not only three Martins, but "Fool for You" and "Zakouski" :icon8: !!
Perhaps Martins will ALLOW the troupe to bring Apollo, Minkus PdT, Glinka PdT, etc, in the future?

#9 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

I agree that the rep is disappointing, but what a great thing. World class dancers with live music visiting those smaller venues is such a good move. The live music aspect is so wonderful. Good for Peter Martins. I think he has really grown in his job (boy that sounded pretentious). I just thing that this is a good move and that the company looks much, much better now than it has in a while.

#10 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

I agree that the rep is disappointing, but what a great thing. World class dancers with live music visiting those smaller venues is such a good move. The live music aspect is so wonderful. Good for Peter Martins. I think he has really grown in his job (boy that sounded pretentious). I just thing that this is a good move and that the company looks much, much better now than it has in a while.

The commitment to live music -- which is commendable -- has a downside: there isn't that much Balanchine that can be done with the very small contingent of musicians that will accompany the dancers for the first season of performances.

#11 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

The commitment to live music -- which is commendable -- has a downside: there isn't that much Balanchine that can be done with the very small contingent of musicians that will accompany the dancers for the first season of performances.

Good point Kathleen. I didn't think of that. The number of musicians needed for the bulk of the NYCB rep. would certainly limit the choices. :wallbash:

#12 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

At the 2009 and 2010 Vail Festival (a performing site for the new group in 2011), much of the music for the "International Evenings of Dance" was recorded. Last year, they had a 5-person string ensemble ("Sybarite5") for Sarah Lamb's Dying Swan and Ratmansky's Fandango for Wendy Whelan. A pianist played for the Robbins' "A Suite of Chopin Dances" and a violin soloist for the Hans van Manen Solo. But for the rest of the 14 pieces on the program (including pas de deux from Agon, La Sylpide, and Don Quixote) it was recorded music. Vail has a very small orchestra pit and a small stage with no options for scenery. Damian Woetzel will continue next year as the artistic director so he is well aware of the limitations of the venue and is presumably working on things which will work with these restrictions. The Vail web site says the full schedule will be posted next week, so we'll see what they've come up with.

#13 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

But there's a lot of Robbins.....

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

According to the Times, the union, AGMA, has moved to block MOVES on the ground that it violates the dancers' labor contract.

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

The Vail web site just started announcing dates for Moves July 31-August 1: http://www.vaildance.org/
No specific programming information yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):