62 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Contestants for the new season are announced. Evan Lysacek will bring his special brand of arm flailing artistry to the dance floor. This should be truly too much for television. I hope Aldrin doesn't break a hip or something.

A few novel inclusions are astronaut Buzz Aldrin, the 80-year old moonwalker, as well as newly minted Olympic men's figure skating gold medalist Evan Lysacek.

#2 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:10 AM

Do they really make double-sided sticky tape strong enough to hold Pamela Anderson's uh....assets?
I think Evan who is paired with Anna T. :wink: will be the one to beat. And Anna gets a contender! Yay!!
Who did Tony D. kill in another life to get stuck with Kate Gosselin as a partner? Talk about bad karma.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

Evan Lysacek will bring his special brand of arm flailing artistry to the dance floor.

Ouch!

#4 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Do they really make double-sided sticky tape strong enough to hold Pamela Anderson's uh....assets?

They'll use the industrial strength variety....

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

Evan Lysacek will bring his special brand of arm flailing artistry to the dance floor.

Ouch!

Not my favorite skater. :wink:

Of course, with a partner Evan will not be able to waggle his limbs in the uninhibited semaphore to which we have become accustomed. I think perky is right, he immediately becomes the favorite.

Johnny Weir was on Larry King last night and King broke the news to him that it was going to be Lysacek on DWTS. I suspect this may have been a deliberate attempt to harsh Weir's mellow on the air, but Johnny took it well, bless him.

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Johnny Weir was on Larry King last night and King broke the news to him that it was going to be Lysacek on DWTS. I suspect this may have been a deliberate attempt to harsh Weir's mellow on the air, but Johnny took it well, bless him.

Interesting, because Lysacek had already signed up for DWTS before the Olympics:

http://www.usatoday....online_ST_N.htm

although Cheryl Burke Twittered about him joining the show after he won gold:

http://www.icenetwor...p;vkey=ice_news

I'm just bummed they picked Aiden Turner from "All My Children" instead of Michael E. Knight ("Tad the Cad" Martin).

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Interesting, because Lysacek had already signed up for DWTS before the Olympics:

http://www.usatoday....online_ST_N.htm

That's what the latest report says, but apparently the news hadn't gotten around.

#8 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

I think Evan who is paired with Anna T. will be the one to beat. And Anna gets a contender! Yay!!
Who did Tony D. kill in another life to get stuck with Kate Gosselin as a partner? Talk about bad karma.

Anna T. is the best dancer on both sides (Ballroom and Latin) out of all of the pros, but I think she's a terrible teacher and choreographer. I'm afraid we're stuck with Evan's flailing limbs for the course of the show. I was hoping Evan would get Anna D. since she's tall enough and a much better teacher (but then that's most of the other pros).

I think the Plus 8 are still in Pennsylvania. If Kate Gosselin is training out of the East Coast, I think Tony Dovolani is the only male pro tall enough based on the East Coast. Jonathan Roberts is based in San Francisco and Alec is also based out of the Bay Area.

ETA: I'm pretty sure Miss Anderson's assets are already bolted on. I'm not too worried about them needing any extra strapping down, anymore than some of the other surgically enhanced celebs or pros have in past seasons.

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

From the USAToday article:

Stars averaged 18.2 million viewers last season, a 13% drop from Season 8's 20.2 million, hurt by a lackluster cast and Fox rival So You Think You Can Dance. "We learned some lessons," says executive producer Conrad Green. "This is definitely up there with the strongest casts ever."

Huh??? :thumbsup:

Well, how they'll costume Pamela Anderson will be a point of interest, but frankly, no one on this list particularly interests me. I do, however, look forward to seeing Derek Hough again. He's grown on me over time. I didn't like him at first, but either I've been able to overcome my initial resistance, or he has grown enormously over the past several seasons.

#10 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

They'll use the industrial strength variety....

I'm curious about that... :thumbsup:
http://www.planetpam...ontent/aw40.jpg

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

You are right, sidwich: the cast members and pros are now listed on the official site:

http://abc.go.com/sh...st-announcement

Aiden Turner and Edyta Sliwinska
Buzz Alden and Ashly Costa
Chad Ochocinco and Cheryl Burke
Erin Andrews and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
Evan Lysacek and Anna Trebunskaya
Jake Pavelka and Chelsie Hightower
Kate Gosselin and Toni Dovolani
Nicole Scherzinger and Derek Hough
Niecy Nash and Louis Van Amstel
Pamela Anderson and Damian Whitewood
Shannen Doherty and Mark Ballas

#12 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

As much as I love Johnny Weir, I don't think he'd be right for DWTS. Ballroom dancing is in many ways very fixed about the role of a male dancer, and Johnny's androgynous, flamboyant style would be hard to utilize. :wub:

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Nobody's going to mistake Evan Lysacek for Anthony Quinn. :wub: Weir's performing style is not really that flamboyant or effeminate. I think he could make the needed adjustments.

#14 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:08 AM

I think Weir would be particularly beautiful to watch in the Standard dances. Not just in his lines or quality of movement but the care and attention he would give his partner.
The Latin dances would suit him as well because although the men put on a facade of masculinity, it's a peacock form of masculinity.

#15 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Does no one learn on this show--ie. how to dance better? When I found out Lysecek was going to be on the program, I was hoping a good instructor/choreographer would get him to use his line better, and yes, stop semaphoring without meaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):