This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What "bad ballets" do you really love?

In the Spartacus thread, zerbinetta makes a paradoxical point -- but one that has the ring of truth.

This is possibly the most wonderful bad ballet ever choreographed.

This set me to thinking: there must be others.

Are there any other ballets --or bits of ballets -- that strike you as being "bad" work" (cheesy, tasteless, over-the-top, ludicrous, pompous, sophomoric, or whatever "bad" means to you") but which have "greatness" in them, or which you personally enjoy a lot, in spite of or maybe even because you know they're not great work?

Right now I can only think of an opera -- Fanciulla del West in each of the several productions I've seen. Despite some beautiful music, the English title -- "Girl of the Golden West" -- makes me cringe. Ditto the bizarre images of frontier life and the recurrent cries of "Minnie," "Minnie". (Mouse? Mouse?) I've returned several times to see if anyone can really get it right.

Any similar reactions to ballets or ballet-parts?

Puccini did some rather strange things in his operas. For example, he has Manon Lescaut and Des Grieux die in a desert in Louisiana. Perhaps the Louisiana topography has changed a good deal since the early 20th century. :rolleyes:

In terms of ballet, I really like Le Corsaire :) even though the plot is utterly ridiculous, I love it anyway.

Okay, I'll bite :) I actually think Roland Petit's "Carmen" is NOT a bad ballet. Not a great one, but "very good for what it is." But saying that at a dance critics' conference causes lots of sniffs, and people suddenly remembering that they need to feed the meter.

So I'll say "Carmen." It's got a great pas de deux, two great roles and three good small parts, solid construction, and it's a crowd pleaser. So it's a superficial treatment of the book -- it gets to the heart of things!

Great topic, Bart. Hope there are other brave souls out there....

Well, Polovtsian Dances, for sure! Even with a chorus & well done it's still the height of kitsh. But I love it.

Also Marguarite & Armand, though to a lesser degree. I don't consider that to be a bad ballet, just not a great one. But with the right cast it's pretty irresistible

I almost put "Marguerite and Armand," because some have written that it's a bad ballet, a view with which I disagree. I really think many don't understand it -- they expect a linear storytelling ballet, and that's not what Ashton set out to do. But it was irresistible!! (I haven't seen a right cast since the original, but I think there are many dancers who could be interesting in those roles.)

Alexandra, thanks for mentioning Petit. I've seen (on video) the last scene of his Cyrano de Bergerac. Petit danced the title role. The death scene is a masterpiece of obviousness, with Petit -- unwilling to admit to Constance that he has been mortally wounded -- does several courtly steps, then staggers a bit, then does more courtly steps, and on and on. Meanwhile, Constance does virtually nothing.

The scene in Rostand's play is so wonderful, you can't help but admire this sincere but ridiculous attempt to turn it into dance. Turn off the music and you have a rather touching 20s silent film.

I just thought of a ballet that more people will credibly think is bad that I enjoy--Maurice Béjart's création mondiale from early 2002. If I just saw it "cold" I'd probably hate it too, but some of my personal friends and classmates were in the original cast...and I really do find many of the concepts quite interesting.

bart, the few Petit ballets I've seen have been performance pieces -- very dependent on the dancers. With powerful performers, it works (the Danes were known for their productions of "Cyrano" and especially "Carmen," which was a core rep piece for them, and several leading dancers, for more than a decade. AND his "L'Arlsienne" in Paris (I've only seen a tape) was wonderful. BUT if you "just dance it" they're, well, awful :)

Giselle05, the Royal Ballet revived "Marguerite and Armand" a few seasons ago for Sylvie Guillem who danced it with both Nicolas Le Riche (POB) and Jonathan Cope -- and perhaps someone else.

I didn't think much of those casts (they danced at the Kennedy Center a few seasons ago) but I do believe that the ballet could sustain other casts. I've read that Lynn Seymour and Christopher Gable were to be the second cast, but that the ballet was so identified with Fonteyn and Nureyev that there was no second cast.

Helene, I have a soft spot for "Spartacus" too, but I don't think it's a bad ballet. Again, I think it might depend on the cast. There's a perfectly valid argument that ballets that are cast dependent are bad ballets; I just don't happen to agree with it :)

This is heresy, I know, but I'd also cast a vote for Balanchine's "Adagio Lamentosa".

When Ballet Review had their category list for reviewing, this ballet fell into the "insufferable masterpieces" box.

A special case, perhaps worth a category of its own; it was wrenching & dreadful & made me blub. Mr B, with diminished means, letting us know we would survive his passing.

I think Massimo Murru was also one of Guillem's partners for M&A.

There are two ballets which have been called "bad ballets" that I just love. One is Lew Christiansen's flyweight comedy, "Con Amore" and the other is Agnes de Mille's melodramatic "Fall River Legend". They both have their places in the repertoire, and they might even, with the right "middle", be part of a nice three-bill.

DonQ done for an audience of schoolchildren, the schmaltzier the better.

While the audience will not be schoolchildren, I have been claiming that Wolf Trap scheduled the Bolshoi to do DonQ the weekend of my birthday _just for me_.

Mel, I totally agree with you about both of those -- and I should say, Oakland Ballet made a truly convincing case for Fall River Legend.

but re Spartacus -- I don't agree that it's a bad ballet. It IS an ugly ballet, but I think it's a great thing, and its ugliness is absolutely necessary to the kind of greatness in it, like some twisted ancient tree that's growing in the desert or hanging onto some mountain crag....

"Spartacus" actually seems to be archaic, it has an epoch, a style, a "register" of images and rhythms that allows a kind of heroic ideal to get portrayed -- the tenacity is the point, Spartacus's ability to hold on and endure not just cruelty but massive indifference to human rights and not sink into despair. It couldn't be beautiful, but it can be sublime....

I happen to love those old Soviet thrill-machines "Spring Waters" and "Walpurgisnacht Ballet".

Would Gsovsky's "Grand Pas Classique" fit into this category? I would give anything to have seen Cynthia Gregory dance it with a cigarette dangling from her lips...

If you want to see lots of bad choreography, check out some of the Paris Opera Ballet videos of contemporary works. There is one "Paris Opera Ballet: Seven Ballets" that has execrable choreography by the appropriately named Norbert Schmucki. These include ghastly clichés that you remember from high school dance recitals like a ballerina emerging from a paper chrysalis with tulle wings as a butterfly being born. There is another where two dancers are done up as Mickey and Minnie Mouse and mince around. Truly vile. That is not on my list of bad ballets I love...

Might there not be a difference between enjoyable trashy ballets & great bad ballets? Spartacus has a plot & tells a story clearly & efficiently. The characters are clearly delineated. There is no argument between the score & the choreography. It arcs to a climax & resolves in apotheosis. It makes sense. Its "badness" to me lies in the fact that it is outrageously manipulative & moralistic. It's characters are totally one dimensional. &, yes, it has a good deal of trashy choreography. But it is pure in a balletic sense.

Enjoyable trashy ballets (Petit's Coppelia comes to mind) don't pretend to greatness or purity. They are pure entertainment. The suggestion of Spring Waters & Walpurgisnacht (Bolshoi version) along with Diana & Acteon & that ilk would seem to me to fall into the trashy ballets that we love anyway category.

I hope this makes sense.

I'll second Grand Pas Classique, especially with Sylvie Guillem. Guillem's rendition of the ballet, with Legris, is on one of the aforementioned execrable POB tapes with Schmucki ballets. One of them, with quasi-matador choreography, could be called "a bad ballet I sort of liked." Entertaining in the same way as a Dolly Dinkle recital, perhaps.

My favorite "bad" ballet for now, however, would have to be La Fille Du Pharaon, the plot of which makes Le Corsaire look simple and profound. (Of course, the dancers in blackface were rather painful to watch). But seeing so many steps and so many variations crammed into one ballet, with ridiculously opulent sets and costumes, set to over-the-top "Drinkus" music (Pugni, actually)...it's like the ballet equivalent of a pint of Ben & Jerry's. A guilty pleasure if there ever was one, and one of the most politically incorrect I've ever seen. I don't even mind Zakharova's extensions here; they're somewhat fitting.

Another one that deserves mentioning is the Barber's Adagio on the Mariinsky Ballet-Kirov Classics video, featuring Evteeva and Aliev in Vinogradov's attempt at fusion choreography, alternately rolling around on the floor and posing geometrically in sequined blue unitards. Vinogradov's avant-garde Petrushka, in the same compilation, is bad too, but just plain boring.