This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who should play Don Quixote?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

Any nominations for who should play The Don in the upcoming revival of "Don Quixote?" It's a mime role, so an actor who looks good in armor would do, if no dancer springs to mind.

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

Freddie Franklin?

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:37 PM

:) Very good, Mme. Hermine!

I was thinking of two of Farrell's former Don's: d'Amboise and Luders. The only thing is, isn't d'Amboise pretty busy with his National Dance Institute that time of year?

Maybe Placido Domingo?

#4 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

I think d'Amboise would be perfect! I'm old enough to do it myself except that I'm shaped more like Sancho Panza.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:31 PM

Problem is, all that have been mentioned so far are too tall. I think the part works best when the Don is an average or below-sized man. He's a little man with outsize visions.

#6 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

But isn't he usually portrayed as taller than his servant? (honestly don't know)

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

I always think of him as tall and bone thin -- Adam Luders (who did do the role in the past, I believe). Jacques d'Amboise would be interesting, as one of Farrell's former partners. Of course, there are other former partners.....

#8 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Other partners, yes, but I don't know of other living partners who've danced this role opposite SF. These two would create even more excitement (as if it were needed) among the old-time NYCB-ers.

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

Richard Rapp, the original Don, was only a little taller than Deni Lamont, the original Sancho. The difference was that Lamont always was hunched over in his fat suit, and/or standing in a wide second position. Farrell towered over both Rapp and Balanchine when she was on pointe.

#10 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:24 AM

i'd cast a vote for d'amboise then. i didin't know he'd done it before.

#11 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:38 AM

Sean Lavery, whom Farrell was partnered with before she retired, would be nice. I believe he retired early due to an injury but since as Alexandra pointed out the role is mostly mime, he could do it.
How bout Eddie Villella?

And this may sound out of left field, but how about Christopher Walkin? The guy danced on Broadway in his twenties I believe, and his hoofing in the recent Fatboy Slim video shows he's still got it.

#12 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:26 AM

I think that Villella would be good in the part. He's a powerful actor, still, and would bring a lot to it.

#13 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:40 AM

After learning about John Lithgow's involvement with the NYCB in "Carnival of the Animals," I somehow imagine him as Don Q.

#14 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

I'd go for a classically trained actor who can move rather than a dancer who may or may not be able to act.

How about Derek Jacoby? His expressive face is so good at conveying pain, confusion and ultimately nobility. He moves awfully well too. At least he did in Cyrano 20 years ago.

#15 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:44 AM

If we're going to consider actors, Washington has plenty of them. We have an excellent classical company, the Shakespeare Theater, from which a number of Dons could be taken -- Ted van Griethuysen, Philip Goodwin, Andrew Long.

But I also like the idea of someone with a Balanchine connection. Villella would be wonderful. He'd have to wear a gray wig, though . . . :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):