This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2024 Season

Happy to see Curley get one of those pas de deux's. Odd that the male casting for Etudes isn't listed yet, but they're doing more performances of this ballet this year than last so guessing they need to sort out the 3rd cast. We know Roxander will be cast again, and probably Cornejo. I'm betting Gonzalez will get a debut. Interesting that the 2nd Sinatra Suite is TBD. Roxander would be amazing, but I can't figure out who would fit as his partner. 

The mixed-gender casting for Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment is surprising but intriguing!  I wonder if it will carry through for other male roles in the novel, beyond just the lead.  Given the book's expansive character list there are certainly a lot of reasonably substantial roles, I imagine (I hope!) we'll see Roxander, Curley, Gonzalez etc show up in roles like Porfiry and Luzhin.

Just now, MarzipanShepherdess said:

The mixed-gender casting for Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment is surprising but intriguing!  I wonder if it will carry through for other male roles in the novel, beyond just the lead.  Given the book's expansive character list there are certainly a lot of reasonably substantial roles, I imagine (I hope!) we'll see Roxander, Curley, Gonzalez etc show up in roles like Porfiry and Luzhin.

I thought it was rather bizarre to change the gender of the lead character.  So will Rodion R.'s love interest Sonya be a woman or will they change that character to a man and call him Sonny.  The story is already complicated enough without changing genders.  Rather surprised they cast Grunlund as the lead for the third cast.

Hernandez is only listed for Kingdom of the Shades.  I wish he had more to do.

Glad to see Hurlin is getting the lead in Etudes, although I liked Devon last season too.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

I thought it was rather bizarre to change the gender of the lead character.  So will Rodion R.'s love interest Sonya be a woman or will they change that character to a man and call him Sonny.  The story is already complicated enough without changing genders.  Rather surprised they cast Grunlund as the lead for the third cast.

My guess is it will be Trenary and Granlund portraying a man, rather than the gender of the character changing.  But we'll see!

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

Hernandez is only listed for Kingdom of the Shades.  I wish he had more to do.

Glad to see Hurlin is getting the lead in Etudes, although I liked Devon last season too.

Hernandez performed Etudes at ENB, so he could be doing that. And the Gala has not been announced, so maybe something there. 

Wasn't Bell originally supposed to dance the Mazurka guy in Etudes last year, but missed the whole season due to injury? So that's three likely Mazurka guys between him, Roxander, and Cornejo... although reports of Cornejo last year were mixed. It's a little frustrating that ABT isn't announcing either male role yet, since I'm essentially basing my performance selection off the Mazurka casting. 

I also find it strange to announce a gender-bending cast in Crime and Punishment without offering any additional context about the style of work. I guess the role of Raskolnikov doesn't involve lifts?

I know there's pressure to announce casting before tickets go on sale next week, but they really aren't giving us much info. 

On 7/22/2024 at 11:33 AM, Quiggin said:

I would sometimes see apache dance numbers and references to it on variety shows, and it seems very likely Tharp would have too. There was an "I love Lucy" episode about it, and the musical "Can-Can" with Michael Kidd's choreography was revived in the 1980s. It seemed to be a way of shopping out domestic violence by setting it in the context of another, more exotic culture –  the 1920s gangster world in France. It looks as if the Muppet episode is dealing with it at the tail end of its life span and turning it upside down.

Just came across Anna Kisselgoff's July 1984 review of "Nine Sinatra Songs" saying "That's Life" was "choreographed and timed to Apache-dance perfection."

Yes, it's an apache dance.

I thought Kudo was far from being a victim - she's fully a match for Baryshnikov all through the piece. I once watched it with someone who was indignant at the end ("Where's her solo?")

1 hour ago, dirac said:

Yes, it's an apache dance.

I thought Kudo was far from being a victim - she's fully a match for Baryshnikov all through the piece. I once watched it with someone who was indignant at the end ("Where's her solo?")

I agree, the piece would not have worked at all for me if Kudo wasn't  so fully a match for Bryshnikov. That said, it's hard for me to imagine another couple delivering as fierce a performance. I've seen others do it, sometimes wonderfully, but there is always an element of warmth that Kudo/Baryshnikov did not allow to enter.

On 8/28/2024 at 3:02 PM, matilda said:

Wasn't Bell originally supposed to dance the Mazurka guy in Etudes last year, but missed the whole season due to injury? So that's three likely Mazurka guys between him, Roxander, and Cornejo... although reports of Cornejo last year were mixed. It's a little frustrating that ABT isn't announcing either male role yet, since I'm essentially basing my performance selection off the Mazurka casting. 

I also find it strange to announce a gender-bending cast in Crime and Punishment without offering any additional context about the style of work. I guess the role of Raskolnikov doesn't involve lifts?

I know there's pressure to announce casting before tickets go on sale next week, but they really aren't giving us much info. 

Good memory - I had forgotten Bell was originally cast. So, yes, that would seem to secure the Mazurka casting, so why isn't it posted? Camargo was also supposed debut the other male lead, which wound up going to soloist Han (he was fine...). 

I hate how the casting always drips out - I had hoped this practice would change under Jaffe. 

I would think Jaffe would be around for casting decisions unless she is not needed in person? Hopefully she will give more attention to the entire company vs forcus on her chosen one. It does take a village for a company to work as a whole. Just curious since Chloe just posted on her story, that Jaffe is there personally, for her training at the State Ballet of Georgia. Seems she is getting personal attention from Jaffe more so than any principals, guess that needs to happen now that they are banking on her and now she must deliver? I don't think McKenzie did that in the past.

36 minutes ago, stuben said:

I would think Jaffe would be around for casting decisions unless she is not needed in person? Hopefully she will give more attention to the entire company vs forcus on her chosen one. It does take a village for a company to work as a whole. Just curious since Chloe just posted on her story, that Jaffe is there personally, for her training at the State Ballet of Georgia. Seems she is getting personal attention from Jaffe more so than any principals, guess that needs to happen now that they are banking on her and now she must deliver? I don't think McKenzie did that in the past.

I’m sure Jaffe made the casting decisions, as she is the AD. She could have made them earlier or from vacation or wherever. I don’t see any special favoritism for Misseldine. If she was dominating the fall casting, then perhaps. But, McKenzie absolutely showed favoritism- Seo and Teuscher were front and center and nearly always got 2 performances of everything, while other female principals got one show or no show at all. Both always dominated all the press release photos and videos.

We don’t know why Jaffe was in London - Misseldine’s story also said that the AD of the Royal Ballet was also present so it may have been a good ballet networking trip. She could also be scouting for new talent. Jaffe and Nina are also former colleagues at ABT, and they could also be friends, so going to London during ABT’s summer break to see everyone, including Misseldine’s London SL may have been too advantageous to pass up.

10 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Good memory - I had forgotten Bell was originally cast. So, yes, that would seem to secure the Mazurka casting, so why isn't it posted? Camargo was also supposed debut the other male lead, which wound up going to soloist Han (he was fine...). 

I hate how the casting always drips out - I had hoped this practice would change under Jaffe. 

Pretty sure that Ahn took over some of the Mazurka casting.

Ahn is not listed for any roles right now.  Nor is Stearns.  Maybe they will be in Upper Room.

1 hour ago, stuben said:

This does not surprise me at all.  Chloe is talented, but this is over the top. Would Chloe garner this much attention from Jaffe is she wasn't Yan Chen's kid?   If Jaffe has so much spare time for extra coaching, spread the love to other deserving dancers. 

Edited by abatt

There's certainly a lot of TBA casting between Etudes, Crime and Punishment, the Bond and Abraham premieres, and Upper Room. 

Fall 2023 casting is actually still on the ABT calendar if you click back to October of last year. Etudes casting (final, not original) was:

10/18: Teuscher, Ahn, Roxander

10/19: Murphy, Ahn, Cornejo

10/20: Hurlin, Han, Roxander

10/21: Teuscher, Ahn, Cornejo

10/21 (finale only, for gala): Murphy, Ahn, Cornejo

1 hour ago, abatt said:

This does not surprise me at all.  Chloe is talented, but this is over the top. Would Chloe garner this much attention from Jaffe is she wasn't Yan Chen's kid?   If Jaffe has so much spare time for extra coaching, spread the love to other deserving dancers. 

Interesting question, especially with her connection to Yan Chen, who happens to be a ballet mistress for Studio Company; but I also wonder if she misses her days as a coach under McKenzie days too! Perhaps she would have been a much better coach for the company, as they are lacking in that area IMHO these days, with Irina getting on in her years too!

I follow a number of dancers in social media, and noticed many are doing their own maintenance during this long break, that perhaps as you mentioned, as a director paid to oversee the company to "spreading the love" which would not hurt.

10 hours ago, stuben said:

I think it's a little unfair to assume that Jaffe's focusing solely on her "chosen one" based on one photo?  Also, I'm sure casting decisions happened a while ago and/or she's allowed to multi-task if some or part of those decisions remain ongoing.  I follow many of the ABT dancers on social media and Jaffe is a presence on their pages, usually in the form of heart emoji responses (which I think is adorable).  I think it'd smack of favoritism if she was only doing that on Misseldine's posts, for example, but that isn't the case.  Also, Jaffe's last few posts on her own IG were of other dancers (Isabella Boylston, Sierra Armstrong, the company performing Woolf Works, etc).   Furthermore, we don't know that Jaffe isn't providing other dancers with her personal attention or coaching simply b/c we're not seeing it on socials.

Edited by Caballetfan

Thank you @Caballetfan  --all good points.

I was actually going to start my post by asking whether Yan Chen is a billionaire donor. Because I genuinely do not understand these comments about her. The fact that Chloe's mother danced with ABT seems to me the sort of thing that might have won her a sympathetic extra few minutes when she was in the studio company or corps de ballet. After that? Running a ballet company is too hard to make a favorite of someone you don't actually believe has major potential just because you liked their mom.

The attention Misseldine is getting now seems to me clearly based on Jaffe's conviction that she has a (potential) major artist and indeed major star on her hands. Based on video I think Jaffe is right, but she could be wrong, too, -- though, the rapturous reception Misseldine is getting from London fans who presumably haven't the faintest idea who Yan Chen is and who are by no means prejudiced in favor of American ballerinas suggests that Jaffe's view is increasingly shared by others. Ananiashvili certainly thought it worth giving Misseldine a shot during a tour that is important for her own company.

Does ABT have other dancers who deserve similar attention and opportunities: that could be...I hope so. (At the moment I'm partial to Sun Mi Park myself.) But I still have to say that with ABT's newest principal, a rising, but inexperienced ballerina, making a prominent full length debut in a major international center of the ballet and dance world -- London --  where she will be seen, and in some cases written about, by a number of knowledgeable critics and fans, Jaffe's interest in seeing that performance go well seems to me entirely justified:  Misseldine's triumph in London can only help build ABT's reputation with all the long-term fall-out that a strong reputation brings with it including possibly donors, tour opportunities etc. (In fact who is to say Jaffe isn't in London to talk about tour possibilities for ABT which desperately needs them for all of its dancers. It's speculation on my part, but I hope so. Two-three weeks for ABT at the London Coliseum: I'll sign the petition now.)

But I'm also plenty happy for Misseldine herself being able to develop her Odette-Odile and getting a chance to rehearse with Ananiashvili.

Edited by Drew

Getting back to the Fall season, I realize I'm stating the obvious, but since men and women are both doing the lead in Crime & Punishment, there will apparently be no pointe work in this work.

The photo of Trenary with stringy hair and her fingers and hand in a contorted position did not inspire me to run out and see this work.

Couple of things that sort of relate to the fall season casting. Susan Jaffe has done fairly even casting for the female principals. They each have two - three roles. If anyone has less roles this time around it is Brandt, Teuscher and Seo. 

Boylston: Neo, Ballet Imperial, Children's Song

Brandt: Ballet Imperial 

Hurlin: Etudes, Neo 

Misseldine: Ballet Imperial, Sylvia PDD 

Murphy: Etudes, Sylvia PDD 

Seo: Nikiya 

Shevchenko: Ballet Imperial, Nikiya

Teuscher: Etudes

Trenary: Sinatra, Great Galloping, Crime and Punishment 

And, Jaffe gave two female soloists a leading role. Granlund cast as Raskonikov and Park in Great Galloping Gottschalk.

As for the rest of casting, my guess is it either isn't finalized yet (perhaps finalized during the rehearsal period) or just not yet announced. Susan also could have been in London for a number of reasons, There were several other ADs/famous dancers also there at opening night or at Chloe's evening performance (Kevin O'Hare, Alessandra Ferri, Nikolai Tsikaridze). I highly doubt that Jaffe was there to coach Chloe or watch over her, it's Nina's production and she is clearly seen giving class and running rehearsals. 

We complain all the time on here and other forums about ABT's dwindling performances and weeks at the MET. This is a company that relies on having a large stable of stars, something they  lack right now. If ABT is going to increase touring, performances etc. there needs to be buzz and excitement around their young dancers. Part of the allure of promoting someone so young is the hope that they are able to be stars of the company for 2 decades. It's also not a zero sum game, just because Jaffe sees something in Chloe that she wants to nurture doesn't mean she doesn't see the same star quality in the others. 

Also, I think Yan Chen is not nearly as involved as some of us think. I like that she isn't in the company hierarchy directly as a coach. She teaches classes here and there for the main company but I think it's better that she's more closely involved with stuco and jko. She's been involved with summer intensives and Stuco for years now, before Chloe ever joined stuco. Chloe has said in a podcast with James Whiteside that her mom loves teaching and she's happy doing it. 

Speaking of Susan and casting, one thing that I have been curious about is Clinton Luckett, whom we never hear about. I know that associates or assistant ADs aren't much discussed yet it has been a curious issue for me about him, especially since I had hoped for a Marcelo or Ethan directorship when Kevin announced his retirement. Then the whole Marcelo issue came up (to this day I am still puzzled as to what happened and we will never find out), as you can tell I truly miss his dancing, anyway, I thought it would be perhaps an Ethan associate with Jaffee, wow that would have been great!

Clinton wasn't much of a special dancer during his tenure as a corps in ABT and nothing much as Kevin's assistant AD, and I thought a new AD would mean a change for assistant too, so I was truly surprised he was promoted to associate! I wonder what he is responsible for especially if he is doing much of the casting! I just can't imagine, to this day, someone who has less accomplishments than many of the dancers to be guiding them!

Edited by stuben
typo