This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Romeo & Juliet: Met 2023

[Admin Note:  We've moved the recent Romeo and Juliet posts from the season thread to this dedicated thread.]

Between Murphy and Shevchenko, which one would you recommend seeing as Juliet? 

I have never seen either, and know that Murphy is likely to retire soon, so I'm weighing that too. And I'm attending with a friend who is new to ballet.

27 minutes ago, rubies18 said:

Posting here since I don't see a thread for R+J yet.

I have never seen either, and know that Murphy is likely to retire soon, so I'm weighing that too. And I'm attending with a friend who is new to ballet.

there’s a video of shevchenko as juliet from summer 2022 met season on youtube. just search her name followed by romeo and juliet. should give you an idea of what her juliet is like.

1 hour ago, rubies18 said:

Posting here since I don't see a thread for R+J yet.

I'd recommend Shevchenko.  Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the performance!

Shevchenko's Romeo is Forster, who I'd choose over Whiteside. Plus, Murphy pulled out of Swan Lake this week due to a back issue (per her Instagram) so there's a chance she won't dance Juliet either. If Saturday night is an option, the Trenary/Cornejo pairing also sounds great. 

It's the last week already! Since Murphy and Stearns had to withdraw (or, partially withdraw for Stearns) from SL, we'll see if they're able to dance their respective R&J performances.

Two side notes: thanks to California, we know that the Fall season will be announced this Wednesday. And, promotions have frequently been announced during the last week of the season (though Jaffe may change this up). So, we have a lot to (hopefully) look forward to this upcoming week.

19 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Stella Abrera will be performing Lady Capulet, per Carlos Gonzalez's Instagram:

I think reading this is the most excited I've been all season!

(I really miss the old Met seasons. They were always among the best 8 weeks of the year. A real annual highlight. It's just not the same now.)

18 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Screenshot-2023-07-17-194112.png

This is great news! This is one of Stella’s signature roles. Because of Covid, she did not get to have her deserved retirement ceremony. I hope ABT rectifies that! 

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Screenshot-2023-07-17-194112.png

WOW! I wonder if Stella will perform this only on opening night or others too? (Please, oh please Stella, include Saturday night, too.)

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

I think reading this is the most excited I've been all season!

(I really miss the old Met seasons. They were always among the best 8 weeks of the year. A real annual highlight. It's just not the same now.)

Completely agree. I just haven't been very excited this season.

11 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Completely agree. I just haven't been very excited this season.

I'm afraid I feel the same way. Between the shortened season, limited repertoire, and lack of must-see casting, this is the most blah I've ever felt about an ABT season. I'm not sure how many more times I can sit through a so-so performance of that McKenzie Swan Lake. If they bring back Sleeping Beauty next year, that would definitely give me something to be excited about. 

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Between the shortened season, limited repertoire, and lack of must-see casting, this is the most blah I've ever felt about an ABT season. I'm not sure how many more times I can sit through a so-so performance of that McKenzie Swan Lake

I'm relieved to know it's not just me. I was afraid I had lost my love of ballet.

Totally agree, only made it twice this season. I will save my money for the 75th anniversary NYCB season and hopefully some good programming by ABT in the fall. With summer travel and a shorter season with only 4 ballets, it just didn't work out this year. I would like to see to see either more than 4 ballets offered next year or if only 4, then some different ones. I think of when I used to plan to see 4 Giselle's in 4 days and now struggle to find casts I really want to see. Going to check out Aran Bell in R+J tonight, hoping it's a great performance!

I am away for the summer and have missed the entire season. I wasn't sorry to miss LWFC, which I would not have seen even if I was in NY, but after reading so many reviews on here, I have been sorry not to be able to see Giselle, SL, or R&J. From all these reports, there are several dancers that I look forward to seeing sometime soon. Hoping for the best with the Fall programming!

Joey Gorak is dancing Benvolio tonight and Blaine Hoven is dancing Paris. And of course, Stella Abrera as Lady Capulet and Carlos González in his debut as Mercutio. Should be a fun night! (Stella said she will dance Lady C. On Thursday again). 

1 hour ago, MoMo said:

Joey Gorak is dancing Benvolio tonight and Blaine Hoven is dancing Paris. And of course, Stella Abrera as Lady Capulet and Carlos González in his debut as Mercutio. Should be a fun night! (Stella said she will dance Lady C. On Thursday again). 

I hope we get some kind of Stella celebration! She deserves it as she never got her MET farewell. 

So happy to see a full house, but some of the audience behavior makes me wish it weren’t so full.

I understand the desire to document a night out, but taking multiple photos and SCROLLING through them during the show boggles the mind. The social contract is in the shredder.

25 minutes ago, FayBallet said:

So happy to see a full house, but some of the audience behavior makes me wish it weren’t so full.

I understand the desire to document a night out, but taking multiple photos and SCROLLING through them during the show boggles the mind. The social contract is in the shredder.

is the met not extremely strict about phones? sometimes it feels like the ushers will come barging in with little their flashlights at the slightest hint of a phone screen being on. 

Honestly I think it depends on which ushers are working. At Saturday’s SL matinee, one usher was loudly and repeatedly telling everyone to put away their phones as the lights went down. 

And, I agree - I’d love some kind of Stella “farewell” or curtain call to sort of make up for what she didn’t get.

I adore Stella, but I'm doubtful there will be a big to-do for her onstage. One of her instagram stories indicates that she's filling in for injured dancers, and she wishes them speedy recoveries. So, it seems like it was not originally planned for her to perform Lady Capulet this season. The interviews she's given and her social media posts in the past have indicated that she's been able to find some sense of closure with regard to her stage career and move on. If something is done for her on Thursday, I imagine it'll be on the subtle side -- a solo curtain call, a bouquet, or applause from her colleagues on stage. In any case, I'm sure her fans will make sure she feels the love no matter what.

15 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Honestly I think it depends on which ushers are working. At Saturday’s SL matinee, one usher was loudly and repeatedly telling everyone to put away their phones as the lights went down. 

15 hours ago, ba11et0mane said:

is the met not extremely strict about phones? sometimes it feels like the ushers will come barging in with little their flashlights at the slightest hint of a phone screen being on. 

Yes, maybe it depends on the usher. Also, I think for practical reasons, the ushers generally don't keep as much as a watchful eye in the boxes (I was in the balcony boxes).

Many phones were out all over and that's not so uncommon, but witnessing someone browsing the photo app throughout Acts II and III was a new experience for me. The phone was alight for the majority of the performance. Why take pictures to memorialize an event that you didn't watch?

Anyway, I'll stop being a Negative Nancy now. At least there wasn't too much leaning over the edge.