This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Giselle: Met 2023

3 minutes ago, MoMo said:

I don’t think it is fair to compare someone’s performance to someone else , no matter how good that performance was. Just discuss the performance at hand. I have seen many performances in 40 years of supporting ABT. I never compare today’s dancers with what I have seen before. 

Thanks for this perspective. Teuscher’ is a terrific ballerina—as is  Seo—no disrespect to them intended. In any case, I am not seeing any of this season’s Giselles as I have done my NY ballet-going for the summer. (And commented in that context on Teuscher’s effectiveness as Tita.). I also don’t think ballerinas should simply  imitate others’ approaches. So why peep up at all? Well, discussing and comparing different performances for me has still always been part of the experience of being a ballet fan on a ballet message board. It’s even one of the ways I learn to see more exactly what dancers are doing. That said, of course I am most interested in reading about this season’s performances.  

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Osipova is the only ballerina I have ever seen do the 360 degree turn hopping on pointe in Giselle.

I have seen Ekaterina Krysanova do 360° rotations during the hops, though unlike Osipova she didn't keep her free leg moving continually. (More like attitude devant, passing through retiré and then a resumption of the diagonal.) Video evidence suggests she didn't do this in the Ratmansky production, presumably because the rotation isn't notated.

I have a feeling other dancers could do it but choose not to because, frankly, it's a bit of a circus trick. I, for one, was always far more impressed by Fracci's super slow, super controlled diagonal and the serenity of her upper body as she did it, particularly when blowing a kiss in Albrecht’s direction.

Fang has posted that she’s out of Giselle this week due to injury, so I’m wondering who will replace her as Myrta tonight and for her other show. Casting on the site hasn’t been updated. Li is debuting this afternoon so will she get double duty? Or, Misseldine for three in a row? Actually, that would make 4 in a row as she’s already listed for tomorrow night. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuUAcgCgadh/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by ABT Fan
12 hours ago, MoMo said:

I don’t think it is fair to compare someone’s performance to someone else , no matter how good that performance was.I have seen many performances in 40 years of supporting ABT. I never compare today’s dancers with what I have seen before. 

I don't see how you can watch a performance, any performance, and not compare it to other performances you've seen of the same role. And I don't see why you wouldn't want to. Its a natural part of the mental process. And when you're discussing performances on a board like this one comparing the current one to one that many people have seen is a good way to describe or contrast it.

I always compare in my mind as I'm watching. Compare it to the best I remember, or the worst or the most recent.

Ohh, Vishneva's second act Giselle was so spirit-like she was barely there. Now Osipova's seems freshly dead, like there's still a lot of human in there - opposite interpretations but both fantastic. Cojocaru's 1st act hops on point are so delicate, Ferri's cover so much ground and I love the way Vishneva turns to look at Albrecht during her hops, etc etc. And certainly when you see a dancer who disappoints, you refer to one that you loved, and what is lacking in what you're watching.

Whenever I watch Giselle's 1st act variation, before the hops on pointe I still see Kirkland in my head and how she rolls down from pointe and looks adoringly at her Albrecht when she does those arabesques and really, throughout the variation. Doesn't mean that I can't enjoy different performances but what I have seen in the past naturally informs what I'm watching now.

Now on to this afternoon's Hurlin/Camargo and then tonights Brandt/Cornejo!

Re: removed posts.

One of our basic rules is "Do not discuss the discussion."

If you think a post violates our rules, report it, and we will review it.  Click the three dots in the upper right accross from the poster's name and "Report" is an option.

But, to be clear, critical is not against our rules.  Not eveyone is comfortable with that, but we will never be all things to everyone.

This afternoon was something else.

Curley as Hilarion: Jaffe, please promote this man this summer, who should have been promoted last year. What an actor, what a dancer. He’s a principal in waiting and he and Hurlin would be beautiful together. 

McBride and Maloney did the peasant pas which had a better showing than the pair on Monday. McBride did have a shoe ribbon come astray a little (and a second time after she fixed it) which was quite distracting, more so because I was afraid it would come completely undone while she danced. She had a little bobble or two and gets zero height on her jetes, but otherwise she was strong, secure with a lovely projection. Maloney needs to work on his fifths coming out of tours (I think every guy needs to), but his jumps, partnering and carriage was solid.

Granlund and Coker as Moyna and Zulma were as good as it gets and they’re great together. Jaffe, another promotion that needs addressed: Coker.

Li in her Myrta debut was satisfactory. I want to be more complimentary- first, I don’t think she had a LOT of time to prepare as she replaced Williams (probably a month, which isn’t nothing but…). She’s a young corps dancer with little solo experience so I give her a lot of grace, but still it needs a lot of work. Her head and arms conveyed authority and strength yet her torso/chest was timid as if she lacked confidence and overall she lacked conviction as Myrta. She had decent elevation but it wasn’t consistent. She needs more time and development.

Hurlin and Camargo have wonderful chemistry; I hope they continue to be paired together in this ballet, and maybe others. Hurlin’s debut was magnificent. Beautiful arms and sumptuous use of her head and neck. Her hops on point on the diagonal were different, not on tempo and about twice as fast. Didn’t really care for that but she traveled far and they were executed well. Mad scene was intense and well thought out but not overdone. Her whirling dervish entry in Act II needed more power as did the subsequent jumps, but she gorgeously let loose on the diagonal jetes with high elevation and speed. Her arabesques and penches were high and solid. She had a few moments throughout where I think she was fighting debut nerves, and in Act II fell out of character a bit, but her potential in this role (and in general) is enormous so I expect a lot of growth and development. She was truly lovely.

Camargo is a natural and emotional actor and though his technique isn’t as refined as say Bell, he executes everything thoroughly, strongly and with great projection. His Albrecht wasn’t a cad but a guy who couldn’t help fall madly in love with Giselle. The overhead presses in Act II were done with one hand on Hurlin’s waist and the other under her hip, instead of both hands under her hips. It resulted in her body being not quite level but sloped down a bit. I didn’t like the effect but maybe there was a reason for the hand placement. Overall his partnering was very strong and seamless. He did the extrechet sixes - I didn’t count but they had high elevation and tight feet. Grief poured out of every pore in Act II and he did the finale a la Baryshnikov- he picked up the entire bouquet of lilies and walked backwards gradually dropping them until he was down on his knees. I actually teared up. 

Saw this afternoon's matinee with Hurlin and Camargo and echo many of @ABT Fan's observations!

It was a beautiful debut from Hurlin and I was impressed at how fully she was inhabiting the character in her first time on stage in the role. She was excellent in both major moments, like those Act II back-bending jumps and the big penchées (beautiful control, slowly unfurling), and made a lot of various small moments as well. I was particularly struck by how much emotion she radiated at the end of Act II as the chimes rang. At this point in the ballet Myrtha is center stage and I usually focus on Myrtha and Albrecht, who Myrtha is threatening with imminent death. Giselle is down in the corner of the stage, not dancing, but Hurlin completely held my attention because she was conveying such relief and gratitude with her upper body as she heard the chimes. Very impactful. 

I also thought her mad scene was very well done in how clearly articulated it was and how it built. Some of Hurlin's ABT peers get so muddled in this scene and are just kind of rushing around flailing. Hurlin conveyed Giselle's panic and heartbreak but also shaped distinct emotional responses to the different characters she was interacting with as she moved through the crowd. 

I really liked Jaron Curley as Hilarion. He made Hilarion someone your heart broke for. A promotion at the end of the season would be deserved, in my opinion, and for Coker as well who elevates even a small role like Zulma into one that holds your attention. 

I love the suggestion upthread about bringing back Veronika Part to coach Myrtha: for me, she is supreme in the role and today Fangqi Li could have used some of the authority and power Veronika used to wield so chillingly. Li is a beautiful dancer, and I imagine with great coaching she could be a formidable Myrtha, but dramatically she was underpowered today.

Like @ABT Fan, I found Camargo's finale very moving. He portrayed Albrecht's grief and devastation SO powerfully. I found him to be much less interesting in Act I, I didn't get a strong sense of his character until Act II. I prefer interpretations of Albrecht where he's a bit more of a cad, or a bit more of an innocent, or bit more oily: for me Camargo's Act I Albrecht was kind of here nor there. He has the dramatic chops, obviously, so perhaps in the future some of the color will come into his Act I Albrecht.

I rarely post intermission reviews, however, Jake Roxander absolutely owned Act I in peasant pas! He blew the Met’s roof off. Ridiculously high cabrioles, pirouette revolutions that went on and on with impeccable control into a clean finish. Perfect fifth landings following tight tours en lair. Audible gasps all around me. Charisma and a stage intelligence well beyond his years and level of experience (one year in the corps!). Please don’t let this young man languish for years in the corps. Wow. Just wow.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I rarely post intermission reviews, however, Jake Roxander absolutely owned Act I in peasant pas! He blew the Met’s roof off. Ridiculously high cabrioles, pirouette revolutions that went on and on with impeccable control into a clean finish. Perfect fifth landings following tight tours en lair. Audible gasps all around me. Charisma and a stage intelligence well beyond his years and level of experience (one year in the corps!). Please don’t let this young man languish for years in the corps. Wow. Just wow.

Yes, quoting myself to finish my thoughts…

Coker, as Roxander’s partner was sublime. Stellar technique. They were an incredible pair and I can absolutely see them leading Giselle someday. 

Misseldine turned in another steely, glamorous Myrta. 

Im late to the game seeing Brandt’s Giselle as tonight was my first. Maybe it was partly reading everyone’s incredible praise but I was not blown away by her. She was very good, and in some parts just beautiful, but I wasn’t moved by her. She has big eyes as we all know but she tends to rely on them too much - opening them as wide as possible with a gaping mouth does not convey emotion, and she did that many times tonight. Her hops on point seemed to have a brief bobble near the beginning, but she recovered quickly and finished strong, traveling impressively. Mad scene was overdone. She seemed preoccupied with looking pretty (hair just right) while again with the crazed open eyes running around frantically a bit too much. Her whirling dervish opening in Act II was like lightening turning into in a pirouette, then into blazing jumps and turns. She was a blur. The first penche was like nothing I’ve ever seen: her back leg crept higher and higher while her torso didn’t move, only near the end did her body pitch forward. Technically she’s outstanding, but she has a lot of mannerisms now and imo is acutely aware of her adoring audience, leaning into posturing at times.

Cornejo was Cornejo - how lucky are we that he’s still dancing at his age and dancing well. He knows his limits and makes adjustments accordingly, but overall the choreography and character doesn’t suffer, which can’t usually be said for others who are past their prime.

Exciting things are happening at ABT these days. For one thing, I saw Jake Roxander at the dress rehearsal on Monday and, as ABT Fan noted above, he was phenomenal in the Peasant Pas in all the ways she/he described. I'm ready to buy a ticket to see him in a principal role.

Another exciting thing was Hurlin's debut in Giselle this afternoon. In Act I she was light as a feather, with high, seemingly effortless jumps and soundless landings. In fact, throughout the entire ballet, nary a click, a squeak, nor a clop was made by her pointe shoes. I was very impressed by her acting as well, especially her mad scene, where she did her own interpretation pushing through the crowd, rather than picking up the sword and sliding it menacingly  in semi-circles. However it was in Act II that she really shone, combining both an ethereal vision with stellar technique. Her high extensions, low penchees, high jumps, quick entrechats, and oh, those grand jetes from back stage left to front stage right were to die for. And I can only swoon over the quickness and lightness of her bourrees backwards to the grave. I've seen great Giselles for decades, since the 1940s, and Hurlin is going to be one of the greats. She had a wonderful partner in Daniel Camargo, although like some others, I'd like to see a bit more refinement in his dancing. Maybe it's simply his carriage, which perhaps could be pulled up more to make him a half-inch taller. Or get him a coach. He's a beautiful dancer and a fine actor, and I'm expecting to see a lot more of him, so please can someone tweak this little thing?

I really enjoyed Fanqi Li as Myrta, and was surprised to learn that this was a debut on relatively short notice. What a beautiful dancer!

10 hours ago, nysusan said:

I don't see how you can watch a performance, any performance, and not compare it to other performances you've seen of the same role. And I don't see why you wouldn't want to. Its a natural part of the mental process. And when you're discussing performances on a board like this one comparing the current one to one that many people have seen is a good way to describe or contrast it.

I always compare in my mind as I'm watching. Compare it to the best I remember, or the worst or the most recent.

Ohh, Vishneva's second act Giselle was so spirit-like she was barely there. Now Osipova's seems freshly dead, like there's still a lot of human in there - opposite interpretations but both fantastic. Cojocaru's 1st act hops on point are so delicate, Ferri's cover so much ground and I love the way Vishneva turns to look at Albrecht during her hops, etc etc. And certainly when you see a dancer who disappoints, you refer to one that you loved, and what is lacking in what you're watching.

Whenever I watch Giselle's 1st act variation, before the hops on pointe I still see Kirkland in my head and how she rolls down from pointe and looks adoringly at her Albrecht when she does those arabesques and really, throughout the variation. Doesn't mean that I can't enjoy different performances but what I have seen in the past naturally informs what I'm watching now.

Now on to this afternoon's Hurlin/Camargo and then tonights Brandt/Cornejo!

I agree enthusiastically with your point of view.  Reading these reviews is very stimulating, especially since I can't see any performance of Giselle.  Hurlin would have been my first choice.  Comparing dancers/performances is  absolutely one of the pleasures of "talking" to other dance lovers.  Just reading your mention of Vishneva and Osipova brings back powerful reminders of their Giselles.  I thought Vishneva's Act II was ethereal and magnificent, especially including how her eyes were cast down throughout all [or most] Act II.

Loved, loved, loved tonight’s performance of Giselle.  The only other time I’ve seen it was with boylston/whiteside, but seeing it now with Brandt/Cornejo really took it to another level for me.  

Jake Roxander was outstanding in the peasant pas - he knew he totally rocked it and the audience loved it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Brandt/Cornejo Giselle and thought it was more or less on par with their fall 2021 performance, although without the original "wow" factor of seeing them in it for the first time. We all know Brandt has stellar technique but I greatly admire her artistry as well, particularly her attention to detail. And I'm not sure if I've seen another ballerina end the awakening spins on point

Roxander was jaw-dropping -- jumps, lines, charisma, and absolute control. He reminds me of Roman Mejia across the plaza, but more classical à la ABT. Coker's dancing was joyful and very clean. In fact, this peasant pas de deux was the best I've seen at ABT. 

My only complaint was that the Charles Barker's tempo could have been a little faster in some moments. 

Sorry to have missed Jarod Curley's Hilarion but I thought Andrii Ishchuck was excellent tonight. 

The theater was much fuller than Like Water for Chocolate last week. 

misseldine and roxander stole the show tonight for me! misseldine was so willowy and femininely beautiful while still maintaining that commanding myrtha aura. i see what everyone meant with the comments about her pointe shoes being loud but i thought it was ignorable during the show for the most part. the audience loved her and roxander. He got booming applause after his variations. Skylar was a good giselle in act 1 but when the act finished i still felt like something was left missing// a sense of unsatisfaction, her mad scene felt a bit too rushed for my liking (I love a big and dramatic mad scene), but her act 2 was divine and everyone around me was mesmerized by her. Overall i thought it was enjoyable and i would most likely see her dance this role again in the future. 

I felt that the Cornejo Brandt performance was pretty similar to what they did in the Fall of 2021, except that Cornejo clearly has declined since Fall of 2021.  He did the brises and killed time to wait out the remainder of the music where is is being danced to death.  He also cut back elsewhere in Act Ii.  So for example, in a sequence where some men do three jetes, he would do two. i would rather remember him as he used to be in his prime.  

Hurlin's debut was very good, and Carmago is certainly a great asset to ABT.  

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Im late to the game seeing Brandt’s Giselle as tonight was my first. Maybe it was partly reading everyone’s incredible praise but I was not blown away by her. She was very good, and in some parts just beautiful, but I wasn’t moved by her. She has big eyes as we all know but she tends to rely on them too much - opening them as wide as possible with a gaping mouth does not convey emotion, and she did that many times tonight.

I was enthusiastic about Brandt's fall 2021 Giselle, but tonight kind of fell flat for me dramatically, especially Act I. I felt she and Cornejo lacked chemistry, and overall Brandt was simply wide-eyed and doll-like for much of Act I. She clearly has her technique sorted out, though at times I felt like I was just watching a series of calculated effects she was aiming to convey to the audience. Now that she's worked with Irina and Maxim to hammer out all the technical elements, I feel like it's time for her to work with someone to figure out her unique take on Giselle. Her Giselle needs a soul. (I wonder what guidance someone like Ferri could provide to her.) There were lots of beautiful moments in Act II. The way she and Cornejo execute the press lifts remains my all-time favorite approach to them. I love the way he lifts her and the elevates her slowly; it looks like she'll float away. 

I echo everyone's praise of Roxander. I can't remember seeing the role danced so well in recent seasons.

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

I felt that the Cornejo Brandt performance was pretty similar to what they did in the Fall of 2021, except that Cornejo clearly has declined since Fall of 2021. 

I love Cornejo, but I had the feeling this will be (or perhaps should be) his last run of Giselle. It was difficult seeing him kill that time in the dance-to-death sequence (and frankly made it seem like he wasn't dancing to his death). 

7 hours ago, abatt said:

Cornejo clearly has declined since Fall of 2021.  He did the brises and killed time to wait out the remainder of the music where is is being danced to death.

7 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I love Cornejo, but I had the feeling this will be (or perhaps should be) his last run of Giselle. It was difficult seeing him kill that time in the dance-to-death sequence (and frankly made it seem like he wasn't dancing to his death). 

I agree with you both regarding Cornejo’s  killing time. His characterization, great partnering and intelligence all overshadowed that for me I guess, but when I think back to the performance now, his technical omissions were a bit glaring. If they don’t do Giselle again next year (and I think they need to put it away for a year) then this will probably be his last one. Although, I always thought he’d do his retirement performance as Albrecht.

What to make of the fac t that the usual suspects for peasant pas seem to be missing in action.  No Gorak, no Blaine Hoven, no Luciana Paris.  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  Just trying to read the tea leaves.

So far I generally like Jaffe's casting choices for secondary roles. The ABT soloist rank is in a weird limbo state, for sure. Only Misseldine and Park seem like solid candidates for eventual principal promotion. I need to see more of Sung Woo Han to assess his potential. If budget is standing in the way of promoting as many corps members as needed and deserved, there are a few obvious choices for contracts that shouldn't be renewed. 

1 hour ago, abatt said:

What to make of the fac t that the usual suspects for peasant pas seem to be missing in action.  No Gorak, no Blaine Hoven, no Luciana Paris.  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  Just trying to read the tea leaves.

If Gorak and Hoven aren't cast as Benno in Swan Lake, then I think the writing is on the wall...

Edited by fondoffouettes
5 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

=

If Gorak and Hoven aren't cast as Benno in Swan Lake, then I think the writing is on the wall...

Han posted on his IG that’s he’s preparing for Benno next week. He was great when I saw him in this last year. I know Frenette has also done it. I’d like to see Klein and Roxander get debuts in the role. 

4 minutes ago, abatt said:

Would love to see Roxander as Benno and also as Benvolio.  I would also like to see Curley and Gonzalez in these roles.   

Roxander is debuting as Mercutio. A better vehicle imo to really get a good look at his talents.