This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

3 hours ago, SingerWhoMoves said:

Also, keep in mind that Tiler was in a Broadway show as a kid and has since appeared in other acting projects. Can’t help but think that helps. 

It's true Tiler Peck became used to performing from a early age. I've her instagram videos of performing at the age of three. The stage presence and naturalness is unnerving (not to mention the length of the number she memorized)! In any event, for whatever reasons some dancers have an easier time with facial expressions on stage then others. I'm thinking of Lauren King, who retired as a soloist a few years ago. From the moment she joined the corps my eye was drawn to her because of her radiant smile, and the wonderful way she related to everyone on stage. As @BalanchineFan mentioned, Merrill Ashley worked on her facial expression later in her career, after her husband pointed out that her face looked beautiful when she danced to songs on the radio, and she should try to do that on stage. I don't think there is a lot of coaching in this respect, other than being told to smile. It's something dancers have to figure out, for the most part. Maybe companies with a different tradition, like the Royal Ballet, pay more attention to it. I don't know.

If any of you remember, I had made a chart for the 2022-2023 season detailing the number of times each dancer danced in a featured role that season. Well, I made one for the Fall 2023 season! This time, I charted three different variables:

1. Times Danced: The number of times a dancer danced IN TOTAL (per the casting sheet)

2. Roles Danced: The number of roles a dancer danced in (for example, if Unity danced in Apollo and Diamonds, that would count as 2 roles)

3. Debuts: The number of debut roles a dancer had (for example, Emma Von Enck in Rubies would count as 1 debut) 

Keep in mind that it's not perfect since it doesn't take into account last minute casting changes (these stats are all based off the casting sheets posted on the NYCB website). Also, I'm only human so there are probably a few human errors in there somewhere. And these charts don't list Bolden and Riccardo as soloists yet, since they did these roles before they were promoted.

Here's the link for anyone who's interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ua3mhdDNqb44ocDKURhpzwIy-tR2KFp/view?usp=share_link 

Seeing the numbers, I'm surprised by how many times Kikta and Adams danced this season! Do you all think Adams is on track for promotion? I feel like Kikta definitely is (or at least should be!!!)

Edited by pirouette
10 hours ago, pirouette said:

Seeing the numbers, I'm surprised by how many times Kikta and Adams danced this season! Do you all think Adams is on track for promotion? I feel like Kikta definitely is (or at least should be!!!)

Although Adams has evidently danced a lot this season, I don't think she's on track for promotion. The parts she did were mainly soloist/demi-ish parts, like the pas de trois in both Emeralds and Agon and the short pas in Sonnambula. Corps dancers are doing the same parts. I wouldn't consider Unanswered Question a "major" debut. Calliope in Apollo is a significant part but still secondary. 

Meanwhile, they've put Kikta and Von Enck in notable Balanchine lead roles. I have no doubt that Von Enck will get promoted soon; not only is she a rare talent but the company has a need for shorter allegro principals to step into the Fairchild/Bouder kind of roles. I'm a little less sure about Kikta (mostly because of her height) although I certainly hope she makes it to principal too. 

Edited by matilda
3 hours ago, matilda said:

Although Adams has evidently danced a lot this season, I don't think she's on track for promotion. The parts she did were mainly soloist/demi-ish parts, like the pas de trois in both Emeralds and Agon and the short pas in Sonnambula. Corps dancers are doing the same parts. I wouldn't consider Unanswered Question a "major" debut. Calliope in Apollo is a significant part but still secondary. 

Meanwhile, they've put Kikta and Von Enck in notable Balanchine lead roles. I have no doubt that Von Enck will get promoted soon; not only is she a rare talent but the company has a need for shorter allegro principals to step into the Fairchild/Bouder kind of roles. I'm a little less sure about Kikta (mostly because of her height) although I certainly hope she makes it to principal too. 

True, and all great points! I hope you're right about Von Enck. She is always such a joy to watch. 

3 hours ago, matilda said:

I agree about Adams. Also, to my way of thinking she is not a distinctive dancer. I much prefer Laracey, who Adams replaced in Unanswered Question. Laracey was out with COVID for a time this season so was scheduled to dance more than she actually did. I've thought for a couple of years she deserved a promotion, but I believe her time has passed. Kikta and Von Enck seem on principal track. When likely depends on the needs of the upcoming rep.

I think there are issues as to how many tall women dancers they need.  They have both Miller and Kikta in the running, and Kikta is difficult to cast with an appropriate size partner.  

Emma VE seems to be a definite.  Just a matter of time. 

I wonder who among the principals will be next to leave.  Veyette and Bouder are, I believe, the oldest principals in the company.  They may be waiting for a retirement before moving anyone up out of soloist into principal.  

Edited by abatt
44 minutes ago, abatt said:

I wonder who among the principals will be next to leave.  Veyette and Bouder are, I believe, the oldest principals in the company.  They may be waiting for a retirement before moving anyone up out of soloist into principal.  

Veyette is still showing his worth and carrying his weight, so to speak. Whereas Bouder was barely cast. Aren't salaries done partly according to seniority? That would mean she is one of the highest-paid dancers right now. It seems doubtful she is going to get back to her old level of technique at this point. I wonder what the future is for her in the company. It would be a shame if that was getting in the way of promoting someone like Kikta or Von Enck. 

I actually don't have an issue with leaving Bouder on the roster for a year or two more, even if her appearances are not frequent.  She has earned that level of deference, in my opinion.  I'm sure you are correct that Bouder and Veyette are among the highest paid dancers in the company. 

What I do have an issue with is the fact that certain people at the soloist level seem to be on the roster for years and years but never appear.  What happened to D. Applebaum?  Why has Troy S. been on the roster for so many years when he hardly ever dances?   

27 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Schumacher did dance in 4th movement Symphony in C. Not sure if he was injured at any other point in the season.

Yes, but that was the first time he danced in many, many years. 

Another person who was listed as a soloist long after he stopped performing was Arch Higgins.  

I could have sworn I saw Daniel Applebaum in Copeland Dance Episodes earlier this year, or at least on one of the casting sheets for that piece. I haven't seen his name any other time in casting recently, however. 

Schumacher made an appearance in the first half of 2021, because I know I saw him in Mozartiana and Midsummer Night's Dream as Puck. Didn't see him in Symphony in C this season but I think he's approaching the end of his career. Same with LeCrone, Pollack, and Pereira. Laracey still looks great and should keep doing at least adagio parts for a few more years. 

What happened to Preston Chamblee? He's barely done a single soloist role since being promoted to soloist. Serenade, Episodes, and After the Rain pas are the only ones I can think of, and those are essentially partnering-only. 

I would be in favor of Bouder retiring. I'm fine with Veyette as long as he's doing roles in which he's genuinely still good, and there are a few. 

Troy Schumacher said on his IG that he was so happy to be back onstage after a long injury.

The rep and performance schedule at NYCB is so intense I hope they don’t push injured dancers off the roster. That sounds incredibly unfair, and possibly illegal, not to pay people who are injured at work. 

Joseph Gordon said on IG he injured his knee before the season started and was lucky to be able to perform. 
Preston Chamblee recently returned from injury. He was great as a demi in Symphony in C and really commanding as the father in Prodigal Son. He got a mention in The NY Times review. 

28 minutes ago, matilda said:

What happened to Preston Chamblee? He's barely done a single soloist role since being promoted to soloist. Serenade, Episodes, and After the Rain pas are the only ones I can think of, and those are essentially partnering-only. 

I would be in favor of Bouder retiring. I'm fine with Veyette as long as he's doing roles in which he's genuinely still good, and there are a few. 

Based on his appearances this season, it looks like Chamblee has added quite a bit of weight, and I suspect that has played a role in why he is not cast anymore in soloist roles.  

16 hours ago, pirouette said:

If any of you remember, I had made a chart for the 2022-2023 season detailing the number of times each dancer danced in a featured role that season. Well, I made one for the Fall 2023 season!

Such a cool resource!! Thank you, @pirouette for all the knowledge and time you put into doing this analysis. 

I’m struck by how often Jules Mabie danced. Seems like one to watch—a friend told me he was really standing out to her this season. 

I really hope Kikta gets her promotion. As this table makes clear, she’s dancing a lot and dancing very well. Agree with others that Emma VE will get promoted soon and deservedly so. I also think India Bradley will move up. 

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Based on his appearances this season, it looks like Chamblee has added quite a bit of weight, and I suspect that has played a role in why he is not cast anymore in soloist roles.  

I read a review that said "It looks good on him," and I agree. He was also great as the Baron in La Sonnambula this season.

@pirouette, thank you for the chart. It's so interesting. I imagine the corps dancers, many of whom appear in several ballets an evening, would be dancing "off the chart."

Edited by BalanchineFan
3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Veyette is still showing his worth and carrying his weight, so to speak. Whereas Bouder was barely cast. Aren't salaries done partly according to seniority? That would mean she is one of the highest-paid dancers right now. It seems doubtful she is going to get back to her old level of technique at this point. I wonder what the future is for her in the company. It would be a shame if that was getting in the way of promoting someone like Kikta or Von Enck. 

So agree about Veyette. There is plenty of rep he still looks good in, and his partnering is impeccable. Nutcracker is coming and I"m sure he'll do Cavalier. It will be interesting to see if Bouder is in shape for Sugar Plum or Dewdrop. It will also be interesting to follow what happens within the soloist rank on the women's side. Here's how I see it. I don't see Adams as on the principal track. Hod (according to her instagram) was just back from foot surgery so didn't do any new roles this season. She says she's completely healed and raring to go. Laracey looks good in everything she does, but has been with the company 21 years. LaCrone has been with the company 22 years, and isn't looking great (IMO). MacKinnon is still finding her way. Maxwell will be principal material eventually if she keeps going the way she is. Miriam Miller is terrific, but would be in competition with Kikta for promotion as a tall dancer. Pereira and Pollack rarely dance. Von Enck is ready to be a principal now. 

When a soloist spot is available on the woman's side, I can see India Bradley moving up.

47 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

@pirouette, thank you for the chart.

1 hour ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Such a cool resource!! Thank you, @pirouette for all the knowledge and time you put into doing this analysis.

My pleasure!! :)

8 minutes ago, vipa said:

When a soloist spot is available on the woman's side, I can see India Bradley moving up.

I think it will be between Bradley and Jones! Or maybe both if more than one spot opens up.

What are Bradley's most significant featured roles? I've definitely seen her in small ensemble/demi-soloist-type parts (and have liked her dancing), but don't recall seeing her in featured parts, which I've likely just missed.

Edited by nanushka