This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2023 Miscellaneous

On 1/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, PeggyTulle said:

Mathilde posted awhile back in her IG stories about finally getting her visa (I think). But it looks like she's still in France. Has she posted anything about coming back to SF soon? If so, I'd love to see her dance this season. 

I don't think she's received the VISA yet.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:58 AM, volcanohunter said:

How can it be that after 10 years with San Francisco Ballet Froustey doesn't have a green card? :huh:

Well it IS a broken immigration system. And there are a lot of Americans who don't want to see any immigration at all.

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, pherank said:

Well it IS a broken immigration system. And there are a lot of Americans who don't want to see any immigration at all.

Froustey should qualify as a "first preference immigrant worker." 

"You may be eligible to apply as [an] immigrant worker if you are a first preference immigrant worker, meaning you: 

• Have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics..."

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility-categories

There are lots of foreigners working at SFB, and I would think they would be encouraged to get green cards as soon as they are eligible, since it would save the company the huge bother of getting them new work visas every year.

Edited by volcanohunter

The constraints for changing employers when applying for a green card depend on the type of visa and whether or not a dancer is sponsored by an employer.  There are reasons for not applying for a green card, just as there are reasons for not becoming a citizen of the US, like the lifelong requirement to file US income tax returns on worldwide income, regardless of where you live. 

While the pandemic may have tilted the scale in terms of travel, she hasn't confirmed that she actually did apply for a green card.

I can understand not wanting to acquire U.S. citizenship. I know all too well what it means to have to file double income tax returns. Perhaps Froustey also has good reasons for not applying for permanent residence in the U.S. But if she is thousands of miles from her workplace and will miss at minimum the first three programs of the 2023 season, this strikes me as a very unsatisfactory arrangement for everyone. I don't follow her online, but I remember that the visa issue has surfaced before.

It was a special event on February 9, 2023, for mostly donors of the Music Center Dance Association, and I attended as I am a donor.  It took place at Colburn School of Arts.  Six principal dancers danced (Luke, Sasha, Misa,  Angelo, Nikisha, and Joe) three pas de deux, interspersed with an excellent interview of Tamara Rojo by Music Center CEO Rachel Moore.  There was a reception afterwards.  

12 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Dani Rowe was just announced as Oregon Ballet Theatre's new AD. Makes me wonder if this is Luke Ingham's fiinal year with SFB.

Wow! Lucky them.  I was secretly hoping she'd stay on at SFB full time in some sort of resident choreographer role.  

That does make it seem more likely Luke Ingham will leave SFB, which is too bad!

6 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Wow! Lucky them.  I was secretly hoping she'd stay on at SFB full time in some sort of resident choreographer role.  

That does make it seem more likely Luke Ingham will leave SFB, which is too bad!

Maybe, but OBT's seasons are fairly short in comparison to that of the really big companies - with long gaps between programs. That would allow for some back and forth travel to a home in the Bay Area. But who knows?

This got me to wondering exactly how old Ingham is now, and I came upon an Australian article talking about a 21 year old Luke Ingham heading to the US for a short study tour with various large companies including SFB. But the article claims to have been published in 1990! That would make Luke 53 or 54 years old.  And I don't believe that.

Edited by pherank
16 hours ago, pherank said:

This got me to wondering exactly how old Ingham is now, and I came upon an Australian article talking about a 21 year old Luke Ingham heading to the US for a short study tour with various large companies including SFB. But the article claims to have been published in 1990! That would make Luke 53 or 54 years old.  And I don't believe that.

I found a link to a Sunday Mail article from February 22, 2009 which gave Luke Ingham's age:

"The 23-year-old soloist with the Australian Ballet grew up on his family's farm in Mt Gambier, and says despite his passion for dance, shearing is in his blood."

So, based on that, he would be in the 37-38 age range today.

17 hours ago, pherank said:

Maybe, but OBT's seasons are fairly short in comparison to that of the really big companies - with long gaps between programs. That would allow for some back and forth travel to a home in the Bay Area. But who knows?

I believe Luke is in his late 30s, maybe early 40s. Many websites default to 1990 of an actual date isn't specified. 

Looking at the lead casting for the three regular season full-lengths, I pulled this together. 

Men

• Aaron Robison: Albrecht, Romeo (2)
  • Angelo Greco: Albrecht, Romeo (2)
  • Esteban Hernandez: Albrecht (1)
  • Isaac Hernandez: Guilaume, Romeo (2)
  • Joe Walsh: Guilaume, Romeo (2)
  • Luke Ingham: Guilaume (1)
  • Max Cauthorn: Guilaume (1)
  • Wei Wang: Albrecht (1)

Women

• Dores Andre: Cindy, Juliet (2)
  • Isabella DeVivo (soloist): Cindy (1)
  • Jasmine Jimison (soloist): Giselle, Juliet (2)
  • Misa Kuranaga: Giselle, Cindy, Juliet (3)
  • Nikisha Fogo: Juliet (1)
  • Sasha De Sola: Giselle, Cindy (2)
  • Wona Park: Giselle (1)
  • Yuan Yuan Tan: Juliet (1)

Principals with no full-length lead roles: Jennifer Stahl, Frances Chung (maternity leave), Mathilde Froustey (visa issues most of the season, now back and rehabbing), Wanting Zhao (performed earlier in the season, recently had ACL surgery per IG)

Principals with only one full-length lead role: Wona Park, Nikisha Fogo, Yuan Yuan Tan, Wei Wang, Max Cauthorn, Esteban Hernandez, Luke Ingham

Isaac Hernandez had an interesting comment in a recent Pointes of View interview comparing his experience at SFB eight years ago with this past season. He said that Tamara Rojo has spread responsibility among principal dancers more evenly so that they have a chance to recuperate between performances and apportion their time more sensible to various exercises, rehearsals etc – and  even have time to take a full day off. Said that SFB is unique in having all its performances clustered together in one tight winter/early spring season. Be interesting to know some of the other behind-the-scenes structural changes.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:06 PM, Quiggin said:

Isaac Hernandez had an interesting comment in a recent Pointes of View interview comparing his experience at SFB eight years ago with this past season. He said that Tamara Rojo has spread responsibility among principal dancers more evenly so that they have a chance to recuperate between performances and apportion their time more sensible to various exercises, rehearsals etc – and  even have time to take a full day off. Said that SFB is unique in having all its performances clustered together in one tight winter/early spring season. Be interesting to know some of the other behind-the-scenes structural changes.

The SFB season is a killer. Tomasson finally figured out it was better to put the new choreography festival at the beginning of the season, rather than the end, so that the dancers were relatively fresh while performing the festival. The company tends to be very 'beat up' by the end of the season. And then they take a few weeks off before short tours begin. It's definitely not ideal, but unless the schedule can be renegotiated with the SF Opera, or they find another suitable performance space for a portion of the year, nothing will change.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:06 AM, PeggyTulle said:

Looking at the lead casting for the three regular season full-lengths, I pulled this together. 

Men

• Aaron Robison: Albrecht, Romeo (2)
  • Angelo Greco: Albrecht, Romeo (2)
  • Esteban Hernandez: Albrecht (1)
  • Isaac Hernandez: Guilaume, Romeo (2)
  • Joe Walsh: Guilaume, Romeo (2)
  • Luke Ingham: Guilaume (1)
  • Max Cauthorn: Guilaume (1)
  • Wei Wang: Albrecht (1)

Women

• Dores Andre: Cindy, Juliet (2)
  • Isabella DeVivo (soloist): Cindy (1)
  • Jasmine Jimison (soloist): Giselle, Juliet (2)
  • Misa Kuranaga: Giselle, Cindy, Juliet (3)
  • Nikisha Fogo: Juliet (1)
  • Sasha De Sola: Giselle, Cindy (2)
  • Wona Park: Giselle (1)
  • Yuan Yuan Tan: Juliet (1)

Principals with no full-length lead roles: Jennifer Stahl, Frances Chung (maternity leave), Mathilde Froustey (visa issues most of the season, now back and rehabbing), Wanting Zhao (performed earlier in the season, recently had ACL surgery per IG)

Principals with only one full-length lead role: Wona Park, Nikisha Fogo, Yuan Yuan Tan, Wei Wang, Max Cauthorn, Esteban Hernandez, Luke Ingham

Very interesting chart, PeggyTulle - thanks for taking the time to do it! So interesting to see it all at a glance. I really want to see Jennifer Stahl take on a big, juicy lead (although MADCAP made up much for this deficit). And I wish I'd gotten the chance to see Nikisha Fogo dance more this season. I'm still a little bemused/disappointed that she isn't opening-night Juliet.  

Edited by Terez