This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Giselle - February 24-March 5

Principal Casting (Giselle & Albrecht) has been posted - CASTING: GISELLE - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

Remember, casting is subject to change.

Friday, February 24, 8:00 PM

• Giselle: Sasha De Sola
  • Albrecht: Aaron Robison

Saturday, February 25, 2:00 PM

• Giselle: Wona Park
  • Albrecht: Wei Wang

Saturday, February 25, 8:00 PM

• Giselle: Misa Kuranaga
  • Albrecht: Angelo Greco

Sunday, February 26, 2:00 PM

• Giselle: Jasmine Jimison
  • Albrecht: Esteban Hernández

Tuesday, February 28, 7:30 PM

• Giselle: Sasha De Sola

Wednesday, March 1, 7:30 PM

Thursday, March 2, 7:30 PM

Saturday, March 4, 2:00 PM

• Giselle: Jasmine Jimison

Saturday, March 4, 8:00 PM

Sunday, March 5, 2:00 PM

1 hour ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Wow, I've never seen Jasmine Jimison dance, but that's very exciting that she's casted (for multiple performances!)

Also, has Sasha De Sola performed the role before?  I have a feeling she'll be excellent in it.

This season will be Sasha's first time dancing Giselle.  In 2015, she danced Myrtha - I was fortunate to see her on a Saturday afternoon.  She was wonderful in the role. 

Here is a post from her IG when she was rehearsing Giselle last year:  https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck6G0FRpH2Z/

1 hour ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Wow, I've never seen Jasmine Jimison dance, but that's very exciting that she's casted (for multiple performances!)

Also, has Sasha De Sola performed the role before?  I have a feeling she'll be excellent in it.

I'm happy to see that Jimison is being pushed to the front. Would have been nice if Powell could debut as Giselle as well, but either she's nursing an injury, or just doesn't see herself in that role. Sasha is a no brainer - as the 'old guard' fades away, SDS is going to be one of the primary faces of the company.

pherank, if you mean Lizzy Powell, she is not injured, as I saw her featured in two of the new works this past weekend.   I will see De Sola's premiere on February 24 as Giselle, and am mostly looking forward to seeing the outstanding Aaron Robison as Albrecht.  She will be in good hands. 

On World Ballet Day, there was a rehearsal with Helgi Tomasson coaching new SFB soloist Katherine Barkman and Esteban Hernandez in Act I of Giselle.  Behind them in the rehearsal room were Jasmine Jimison and Mingxuan Wang, obviously understudies at the time.  Barkman is injured and did not dance in the Gala or in any of the new works, so it looks like the lovely and talented Jimison is being given the opportunity. 

I know it's good to have "the next generation" to look forward to, in these big roles, but I just feel... bereft. It makes sense that if Katherine Barkman is injured, and Jasmine Jimison is part of that rehearsal group, then she's being handed the baton. It's just that there are so many talented soloists (and principals)  that I'd like to see have their chance. And no Joseph Walsh (even though he and Wona P seem to pair together so nicely). Sad face. And Luke Ingham. On the positive side, happy to see Aaron Robison get an opening night. Froustey, Fogo, Stahl, Zhao -- I would have found those to be so exciting. Then again, I can only make it to one performance, and that's opening night, so I guess it's a moot point. 

Myrtha has been added to the casting. - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting-giselle/  These are the dancers who will portray Myrtha:  Jennifer Stahl, Dores Andre, Nikisha Fogo, WanTing Zhao, and Sasha Mukhamedov.  Here is the updated casting:

Friday, February 24, 8:00 PM

• Giselle: Sasha De Sola
  • Myrtha: Nikisha Fogo

Saturday, February 25, 2:00 PM

• Myrtha: Sasha Mukhamedov

Saturday, February 25, 8:00 PM

• Myrtha: Jennifer Stahl

Sunday, February 26, 2:00 PM

• Giselle: Jasmine Jimison
  • Myrtha: Dores André

Tuesday, February 28, 7:30 PM

• Myrtha: Nikisha Fogo

Wednesday, March 1, 7:30 PM

• Myrtha: Sasha Mukhamedov

Thursday, March 2, 7:30 PM

Saturday, March 4, 2:00 PM

• Giselle: Jasmine Jimison
  • Myrtha: Dores André

Saturday, March 4, 8:00 PM

• Myrtha: WanTing Zhao

Sunday, March 5, 2:00 PM

*Casting is subject to change

On 2/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, Terez said:

Then again, I'm forgetting the role of Myrtha. I'm sure at least two of the above mentioned dancers will be shining brightly in that role. (Has there been an update on Froustey's status?)

She posted a nice photo of herself holding son Claude - on the beach in France (probably the Vieux-Boucau-les-Bains area):

"It’s been 18 months but it feels like I have known him for all my life and I can’t remember or imagine a life without him."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CojVDNbL8_z/

On 2/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, PeggyTulle said:

Mathilde has also posted being back in SF and taking class at SFB (either a rehab or non-performing dancers class, I believe). Curious that neither she nor Yuan Yuan have posted anything about Tiit's retirement.

She's back now? Where did you hear about that PeggyTulle?

On 2/19/2023 at 7:02 AM, California said:

I'm so sorry I can't get to the SFB Giselle, after wallowing in Giselles this past month! Please post if you're going. I'm especially interested in Aaron Robison, who has been posting some rehearsal clips. Also interested in how it compares with the reconstructions from Ratmansky and PNB.

I'm not a Giselle expert so can't really comment on the differences between the various productions, but I can offer you this small peak behind the scenes with Robison and De Sola:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co5Bl0Op7Ep/

18 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

Pointes of View for Giselle is now available.  Mary Wood in conversation with Principal Dancer Jennifer Stahl (Myrtha) and Corps de Ballet member Nathaniel Remez (Hilarion).

FB - https://fb.watch/iPIN1iAK9C/,

YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMb48kVje0

I just saw that posting myself.  😉
I'm not sure if it will answer California's questions about the production, but should be fun...

I watched it yesterday and particularly liked Remez’s comments, approach,  and enthusiasm.  

California, I am intrigued with your calling the overhead press a “table top lift.” Is that something of yours or have you heard it used elsewhere? 

I am so looking forward to Friday night.