This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Giselle - February 24-March 5

6 minutes ago, pherank said:

As Helene mentioned, it does depend on the company, but at SFB principals and soloists had some input under Tomasson -  no one had to dance a role that they didn't feel comfortable with. Yuan Yuan Tan surprised us this season by accepting a Juliet role, even though Juliet and Cinderella-type roles are not really her thing any more. But she's ending her career soon so probably wanted one last memory of that ballet.  When Sofiane Sylve was still at SFB she avoided roles like Giselle and Juliet that she just didn't see herself in, and didn't dance. And Sofiane could have danced anything she was interested in. Powell is a promising young soloist, but I think she may be more interested in new contemporary works - just an impression I get from her.

Isn't it different if it's an established principal who is no longer at the top of their dancing physically vs a young soloist who is probably hoping to someday get to be principal? I would think they would not refuse something like Giselle...

1 minute ago, Maromeo said:

Isn't it different if it's an established principal who is no longer at the top of their dancing physically vs a young soloist who is probably hoping to someday get to be principal? I would think they would not refuse something like Giselle...

It's all about "butts in seats" though for the story ballets, and the audience expects to see someone of star quality who brings people into the theater. The dance aficionados like seeing a young dancer get a chance, and Tomassan was good about allowing a certain number of Corps dancers get lead roles - it was part of SFB policy to let choreographers create on anyone in the company. This year, Jasmine Jimison is the lucky one, but I think she's earned her star turn.

It might be different, or it might not.  It's entirely up to the the AD, and there's a new AD, not Tomasson with his way anymore.  

I would hope that Rojo spent at least some time getting to know the dancers and got some insights into their wants and will take them into consideration.  But there's nothing obligating her to do anything.

11 minutes ago, Helene said:

It might be different, or it might not.  It's entirely up to the the AD, and there's a new AD, not Tomasson with his way anymore.  

I would hope that Rojo spent at least some time getting to know the dancers and got some insights into their wants and will take them into consideration.  But there's nothing obligating her to do anything.

Yeah, we just don't know what the internal chemistry is going to be like. No doubt there will be some surprises, both good and bad.

I just thought of two instances where dancers questioned if they were ready for a Balanchine role.  In the Six Ballerinas film, Kistler didn't think she had the experience to dance in Balanchine's one-Act Swan Lake on the NYST stage -- she performed it at 15 with Cornel Crabtree for an SAB year-end performance -- and he told her (paraphrasing) that he thought she was, and that was enough.  Similarly Farrell questioned readiness, and he said (paraphrase) to leave it up to him to decide, and she said (paraphrase) and that's what i did.