This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Devon Teuscher in Sleeping Beauty at Boca Ballet

6 hours ago, abatt said:

She seems too tall to be Aurora.  She is usually cast as Lilac Fairy.

And yet Veronika Part was Aurora, and I love the (terrible quality of video) clip of the cast rather against type Cynthia Gregory as Aurora.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, aurora said:

And yet Veronika Part was Aurora, and I love the (terrible quality of video) clip of the cast rather against type Cynthia Gregory as Aurora.

I saw two of those Veronika Part Auroras, Aurora, and I thought that she was excellent.

If you're good enough you can probably make your own rules.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:35 PM, aurora said:

I never saw Part as Aurora, but I really liked Cynthia Gregory in the role. I thought there was a real sweetness to it. Plus, there was a delicacy to her appearance as opposed to Martine Van Hamel (a contemporary of Gregory's), who was maybe an inch taller but had a much sturdier look (IMO). Aurora is usually on the short side but I don't think height should be the single element that rules people in or out of the role.

I can think of three beautiful Auroras, who were by no means small,  ingenue types, Svetlana Beriosova, Veronika Part, and Karen Kain.  No doubt, there have been others.   I am looking forward to watching a virtual performance with Teuscher. 

Darcey Bussell danced Aurora, so did Igone de Jongh. I think De Jongh was a more natural Lilac Fairy, but in the Dutch National Ballet production it's a purely mime role, and she was too big a star to do only the sixth variation. Agnès Letestu danced Aurora despite bring nearly 5'10" tall. Heather Ogden dances the part.

I just finished watching the performance and thought that it was delightful !

Chloe Misseldine from ABT substituted for Devon Teuscher (injury, I wish her well) on several days notice and was both excellent and delightful !

Forgive me for not knowing who the ABT Desiré was, but he did very well and was a fine and secure partner.

I look forward to watching it again tomorrow.

To view it tomorrow at 2:00 pm ET ($27):

https://bocaballettheatrecompany.anywhereseat.com/channel.php

Edited by Buddy

I did watch both performances and enjoyed the second time perhaps even more than the first. What made them so enjoyable was the very relaxed and friendly atmosphere along with some very fine dancing.

From the little that I could find out from listening, this seems to be a summer program (50 dancers this year) from many different places. Perhaps most noticeable is the leeway given to different body size, etc.

ABT’s Chloe Misseldine once again performed beautifully and proficiently with Roddy Doble, who studied both at the School of American Ballet and the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School and now dances with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens. Chloe’s mother had danced with the Boca Ballet Theatre and ABT. I’m not sure if Chloe danced with the Theatre before.

What the connection is between such prominent ABT Principals as Devon Teuscher and Skylar Brandt and the Boca Ballet Theatre I don’t know, but it seems to be a very nice one.