Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Manon


Recommended Posts

There's an interesting exchange between Isabella Boylston and Thomas Forster (both from their personal, public-facing accounts) in the comments on her most recent Instagram post (copied in full at bottom).

Quote

thomasforster22    Loved dancing with you [in Jane Eyre] Bella

isabellaboylston    @thomasforster22 me too!!!! Can't wait for Manon

I don't see Forster on the schedule as either Des Grieux or Lescaut. As of now, for Boylston's two performances, David Hallberg is scheduled to dance Des Grieux and Blaine Hoven is scheduled to dance Lescaut.

 

 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I saw that too and was curious. Maybe Forster has a secondary part that’ll require dancing with her (I don’t remember the ballet well enough to really guess). 

Perhaps Monsieur G.M.?

Link to post
Just now, Josette said:

Yes, they have quite a time where he subjugates her before Des Grieux runs in, and then Des Grieux and Manon run off to the swamp and the last scene.  

Ah, ok. Mystery likely solved, then. Here I was hoping for a surprise role debut (wishing no ill to Hallberg or Hoven, of course).

Link to post

Has there been any visual evidence that Hallberg has been rehearsing Manon in New York? A few days ago he was in London for the Fonteyn tribute performance. Has he been dancing Des Grieux recently enough that he can just swoop in and perform it with Boylston? The last image I can remember of him rehearsing with ABT is a video (on Instagram) from months ago in which he was rehearsing Swan Lake with Copeland. 

I really hope Forster might in fact be dancing Des Grieux with Boylston. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
Link to post
6 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Has there been any visual evidence that Hallberg has been rehearsing Manon in New York? A few days ago he was in London for the Fonteyn tribute performance. Has he been dancing Des Grieux recently enough that he can just swoop in and perform it with Boylston? The last image I can remember of him rehearsing with ABT is a video (on Instagram) from months ago in which he was rehearsing Swan Lake with Copeland. 

I really hope Forster might in fact be dancing Des Grieux with Boylston. 

I can't figure out how to copy this here, but he responded this morning to a tweet calling for a strike of gays by saying that he is rehearsing for his debut in Manon. 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, California said:

I can't figure out how to copy this here, but he responded this morning to a tweet calling for a strike of gays by saying that he is rehearsing for his debut in Manon. 

Thanks, California. And I didn’t realize it was a debut.

Link to post
1 minute ago, bingham said:

I may be mistaken but i thought that he danced Manon with Osipova @ The Royal Ballet

Maybe he was scheduled to but pulled out? Given that it's Hallberg, that doesn't seem unlikely.

Link to post
45 minutes ago, its the mom said:

He was replaced due to injury last year when they were scheduled to dance it.  I am just surprised that he did not dance it before at ABT.  Just timing, probably.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-manon-on-5-and-13-april-2018

ABT last did Manon in 2014 -- a time when Hallberg was having serious problems with injury. Perhaps he realized this was not a good time to take on a new, demanding role.

E.g., https://www.sfcv.org/reviews/none/david-hallberg-tells-all-in-a-body-of-work

Link to post
15 minutes ago, California said:

ABT last did Manon in 2014 -- a time when Hallberg was having serious problems with injury. Perhaps he realized this was not a good time to take on a new, demanding role.

E.g., https://www.sfcv.org/reviews/none/david-hallberg-tells-all-in-a-body-of-work

And I believe they hadn’t done it for quite awhile before that. I started seeing ABT regularly around 2007/08, and I don’t think I saw them do it until the 2014 run.

Edited by nanushka
Link to post
6 minutes ago, nanushka said:

And I believe they hadn’t done it for quite awhile before that. I started seeing ABT regularly around 2007/08, and I don’t think I saw them do it until the 2014 run.

Ferri did it in spring 2007, her retirement season. Interestingly, her partner was Bolle, in his debut in the role at the Met.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/arts/dance/13mano.html

I don't know if they did it again between 2007 and 2014. Nothing turns up on Google and they don't have a complete history on the ABT web site.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/arts/dance/julie-kent-stars-in-american-ballet-theaters-manon.html

Link to post

I can’t find information on the ABT website on the time length of Manon. It starts at 7:30 pm, but when is the performance over? Can anyone help? I have to plan my transportation for the June 18 evening performance. Thank you!

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...