This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maria Khoreva

howpureisivory

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

Khoreva seems to be getting great opportunities right out of the gate....I am hoping she dances one of the odalesques when the Mariinsky brings Corsaire to D.C. as I may then have a chance to see her live in the theater

I found this Women's Fitness Article that implies that she received a soloist contract right out of Vaganova.

"A significant fact is that Maria Khoreva started her career at the Mariinsky Ballet with a soloist contract, which was only granted to Nureev and Nizhinsky before her."

21 minutes ago, howpureisivory said:

I found this Women's Fitness Article that implies that she received a soloist contract right out of Vaganova.

"A significant fact is that Maria Khoreva started her career at the Mariinsky Ballet with a soloist contract, which was only granted to Nureev and Nizhinsky before her."

Baryshnikov also started as a soloist. I believe his first role in performance was in peasant PdD in Giselle:

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Mikhail-Baryshnikov

"In 1966 he joined the Kirov Ballet as a soloist without having to serve the customary apprenticeship as a member of the corps de ballet."

2 minutes ago, California said:

Baryshnikov also started as a soloist. I believe his first role in performance was in peasant PdD in Giselle:

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Mikhail-Baryshnikov

"In 1966 he joined the Kirov Ballet as a soloist without having to serve the customary apprenticeship as a member of the corps de ballet."

Yeah, I don't think the statement about who else is in that company is correct, but I'm less interested in that than I am about the fact that she is a soloist (even though she's listed as a corps member on the website). 

I must admit I haven't heard anything else about her being a soloist, but labels are probably largely irrelevant for the moment as she's had one of the highest profile starts to a career I've heard of in a long time! Her first role was Terpsichore in Apollo (with Parish, and the other star new company members Ionova and Nuykina), which she's done a few times and is currently in NYC dancing at the Balanchine gala at the City Center, and she's already done Paquita!! At this rate she'll be Medora for you, nevermind an Odalisque! I've only seen her on video but I do have to say she looks like the hype is justified. She's got something very special imho. 

3 minutes ago, Khoretskaya said:

I must admit I haven't heard anything else about her being a soloist, but labels are probably largely irrelevant for the moment as she's had one of the highest profile starts to a career I've heard of in a long time! Her first role was Terpsichore in Apollo (with Parish, and the other star new company members Ionova and Nuykina), which she's done a few times and is currently in NYC dancing at the Balanchine gala at the City Center, and she's already done Paquita!! At this rate she'll be Medora for you, nevermind an Odalisque! I've only seen her on video but I do have to say she looks like the hype is justified. She's got something very special imho. 

...and she's hugely excited to be in New York; take a look at her Instagram story! https://www.instagram.com/marachok/?hl=en

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, howpureisivory said:

Two (out of four) assertions in this single sentence are false. So much for relying on "Women's fitness" in ballet matters.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:00 PM, Khoretskaya said:

I agree.  I think she is special, and so also is Maria Bulanova, her classmate.  What an outstanding graduating class.  I HAVE seen Khoreva "live" and I do think she is an extremely talented dancer.  She has fabulous long lines, musicality and phrasing, as well as an excellent all-round technique.  She is dancing soloist roles but she is not a soloist - she is in the corps.  Renata Shakirova also danced mostly soloist or principal level roles while still in the corps.  I cannot think of any Vaganova graduates who have been taken on immediately out of Vaganova into any other category other than corps.   Of course ... trainees get different treatment - but that is another story.  

Edited by MadameP
4 hours ago, Emma said:

What does it mean to be a trainee at the Mariinsky?

That's a very good question, and one to which, unfortunately, there is no clear answer!  Until recently there was a category on the roster called "Trainee" and this listed Camilla Mazzi, Victor Caixeta, May Nagahisa (and I think one other, but now I can't remember who!)  They were all young graduates of other ballet schools, and all were given numerous coryphee/soloist level opportunities while still being in the "trainee" category.  After a year, the first two were taken into the corps, but Nagahisa bypassed corps and corphee levels and was placed straightaway in the second soloist category, at age 18.  

2 hours ago, MadameP said:

Maria Khoreva has today been promoted to First Soloist!  Many congratulations to this wonderful young ballerina!

Wow! Is there any precedent for this kind of meteoric rise through the ranks??

Edited by tutu

I am very fond of Khoreva, but I think Nagahisa possesses artistry to a much higher degree. "Manufacturing" Khoreva's career by means of the social media aggressive presence and promotion, I am afraid, will backfire, and I am not talking about petty resentment some may feel, I am talking about the young danseuse's artistic development. This whole attitude of premeditated, well-planned, "shaping" every aspect of you, from your own body being being literally moulded to the "optimal" shape in every limb, to daily "shaping" one's image in the media, I feel increasingly uneasy about it. Manufacturing a dancer like we manufacture "genetically modified food"? To have an optimal look, shape and taste? Is this the way of the future for manufacturing the most successful dancers? I hope not.

59 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I am very fond of Khoreva, but I think Nagahisa possesses artistry to a much higher degree. "Manufacturing" Khoreva's career by means of the social media aggressive presence and promotion, I am afraid, will backfire, and I am not talking about petty resentment some may feel, I am talking about the young danseuse's artistic development. This whole attitude of premeditated, well-planned, "shaping" every aspect of you, from your own body being being literally moulded to the "optimal" shape in every limb, to daily "shaping" one's image in the media, I feel increasingly uneasy about it. Manufacturing a dancer like we manufacture "genetically modified food"? To have an optimal look, shape and taste? Is this the way of the future for manufacturing the most successful dancers? I hope not.

I do agree that there is too much about Khoreva in the media, but I still think she is vastly superior to Nagahisa.  Incidentally, Nagahisa made a mess up of her Corsaire pd2 with Shklyarov in the Pavlova diverts - not a lot of artistry there ...  I do think Medora is a surprising choice of role for her, and one for which she was evidently inadequately prepared.  If Fateyev wishes to thrust these young dancers up the promotion ladder, then he has a responsibility towards the audience to ensure that they are prepared and suitable for the roles they dance.  

Edited by MadameP

If Nagahisa, you feel, is “vastly inferior", then what to say about Lukina? She must then feel  hopeless. Yet seeing so much of Khoreva, and also seeing very tentative recent performances by Lukina, I still must say that Lukina's artistry, if not her technique, is colossal compared  not only to Khoreva but, in fact, to the majority of active dancers today. With Lukina I have an immediate feeling that I am in presence of High Art, with Khoreva (and she has her moments of high artistry), I don't have that feeling, in general. In fact, and I said that elsewhere, none of the "magnificent four”, who graduated from Academy Vaganova this year, artistically seems to be as compelling as, for example, Khiteeva, or, Nastia Smirnova, who may not have made that much of an impression in the Vaganova Prix, and there are some anatomical problems that may be affecting her future career, yet, when she is on the floor, she radiates. Compared to what I saw in June, it seems Khoreva made the greatest progress of the four I mentioned, she has had many weeks of high level coaching the other three hadn't. This is why Nuykina, which was as impressive and possibly more interesting in the future, looked rather pale compared to Khoreva, in the Suite en blanc that was broadcast. My view, from the perspective of Paris, on the Suite en blanc that we saw, is that the choreographic conventions of Lifar, with their different phrasing and articulation, feel rather awkward to Vaganova trained students, and there was no one who would explain and correct certain things, and made sure that those things are implemented (in spite of Maina Gielgud being there). Thus, I was more impressed by natural movement and gestures of Khiteeva in her Flora variation, than by any of the girl soloists of Suite en blanc.

I do agree about Khiteeva and think she may prove to be the best artistically that we will see from Vaganova in these few years - those beautiful arms and movement quality!  Also, yes, I love Lukina, who is a real grand Mariinsky ballerina and who also has those gorgeous feet and allure on stage, but she does have  some technical issues.   Also, Maria Bulanova has real artistry and expressive/dramatic quality - she has had so many debuts that it is surprising she has not been promoted also.  

12 hours ago, Laurent said:

Are you implying that Khoreva's social media presence has been 'manufactured' by someone other than her, or have I misread you? Many people her age are inseparable from their Instagram accounts....maybe she just enjoys it, and if she enjoys the attention then one can hardly blame her (though I totally share the concern that it might all be too much exposure too early).

Had the great pleasure of seeing Maria dance Terpischore this week in NYC. I’ve been following her on Instagram since her student days, and was wondering if she would be just an “Instagram dancer” who couldn’t deliver onstage.  She’s definitely a true talent! She gave a gorgeous, gorgeous performance. Outshone even the NYCB principal ballerinas on the same bill.