This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in D.C. - Jan 2019

Casting has been announced for Harlequinade in D.C. in January.

Of note, Simkin will join.

Debuts: Trenary, Maloney, Royal, and Lendorf (who will return after a long-injury). Great to see another corps dancer get a big debut. I'm sure Trenary will be terrific as well.

Also, of note, IMO, Lane/Abrera with Lendorf/Royal get only one performance. Lane/Abrera gave magical performances at the ballet's debut, but now they get seconds (Trenary/Brandt who are soloists get 2 perf's each).

Not begrudging Trenary/Brandt at all, of whom I'm a big fan. But, Lane is a principal. And, as I just posted on the Fall season thread, Lane only gets one performance in one ballet in October. I knew she wasn't a favorite of the AD, but this is a new low.

Sorry, rant over.

https://www.abt.org/events/harlequinade-dc/

Added: I believe Trenary already did Columbine. My memory is failing me right now.

Edited by ABT Fan
Typos
3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Casting has been announced for Harlequinade in D.C. in January.

Of note, Simkin will join.

Debuts: Trenary, Maloney, Royal, and Lendorf (who will return after a long-injury). Great to see another corps dancer get a big debut. I'm sure Trenary will be terrific as well.

Also, of note, IMO, Lane/Abrera with Lendorf/Royal get only one performance. Lane/Abrera gave magical performances at the ballet's debut, but now they get seconds (Trenary/Brandt who are soloists get 2 perf's each).

Not begrudging Trenary/Brandt at all, of whom I'm a big fan. But, Lane is a principal. And, as I just posted on the Fall season thread, Lane only gets one performance in one ballet in October. I knew she wasn't a favorite of the AD, but this is a new low.

Sorry, rant over.

https://www.abt.org/events/harlequinade-dc/

Added: I believe Trenary already did Columbine. My memory is failing me right now.

I agree that it's a new low for Lane. It makes it seem possible that she won't be renewed after the Met season. Over the last two Met seasons she's given outstanding performances of Giselle, a mixed but basically good SL on short notice, and had good to excellent premiere performances in Harlequinade, Bayadere and Don Q. She had a pretty big mess up as a Shade in Bayadere but Hee Seo and Misty Copeland have had many, many mess-ups. I just don't see the AD keeping her on much longer unless.

4 hours ago, vipa said:

I agree that it's a new low for Lane. It makes it seem possible that she won't be renewed after the Met season. Over the last two Met seasons she's given outstanding performances of Giselle, a mixed but basically good SL on short notice, and had good to excellent premiere performances in Harlequinade, Bayadere and Don Q. She had a pretty big mess up as a Shade in Bayadere but Hee Seo and Misty Copeland have had many, many mess-ups. I just don't see the AD keeping her on much longer unless.

But didn't he literally JUST promote her to principle 2 seasons ago? Like why promote her if you don't want to cast her in anything? But maybe Lane will leave instead...if I'm Lane I would leave. 

And that might actually be McKenzie's design: Humiliate her till she leaves. She doesn't bring in the big audiences that technically inferior Copeland does, so he's not, sadly, going to care about Copeland's flaws. I wish Lane would go somewhere she's appreciated.

Edited by vagansmom
to state a thought more fully

Lane was promoted July 2017, a little over one year ago.  She'd had such an amazing spring season, with her two spectacular Giselles and unplanned debt in Swan Lake.  I think management felt pressured to promote her to principal.  Back in 2006-2007 it seemed she was being fast tracked for promotion, with her debut in the old Sleeping Beauty occurring just prior to her promotion to soloist.  With the introduction of the "guest artist" policy, I think the AD lost interest in her and abandoned her to soloist purgatory for a decade.  Her promotion to principal last year offered management the opportunity to build on the excitement she'd created in the spring by offering her that long-awaited debut in R&J and a proper Swan Lake performance with more than a couple of days' rehearsal.  As we know, these things never happened and just contributed to the loss of inertia and public interest in the company as a whole.

This isn't a new low for Lane; it's a new low for the AD and company management.  They are doing to her just what they did to Veronika Part; one show a season, if that much, and ultimately no renewal of contract.  I really hope Lane utilizes all this free time to begin lining up more guest appearances around the U.S. and especially in Europe, where everyone can see how good she is and experience her on-stage magic, and ultimately finding a new home.  She just turned 34; she still has time left to make a great impression in a new place and continue to dance at the top of her game.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, laurel said:

Lane was promoted July 2017, a little over one year ago.  She'd had such an amazing spring season, with her two spectacular Giselles and unplanned debt in Swan Lake.  I think management felt pressured to promote her to principal.  Back in 2006-2007 it seemed she was being fast tracked for promotion, with her debut in the old Sleeping Beauty occurring just prior to her promotion to soloist.  With the introduction of the "guest artist" policy, I think the AD lost interest in her and abandoned her to soloist purgatory for a decade.  Her promotion to principal last year offered management the opportunity to build on the excitement she'd created in the spring by offering her that long-awaited debut in R&J and a proper Swan Lake performance with more than a couple of days' rehearsal.  As we know, these things never happened and just contributed to the loss of inertia and public interest in the company as a whole.

This isn't a new low for Lane; it's a new low for the AD and company management.  They are doing to her just what they did to Veronika Part; one show a season, if that much, and ultimately no renewal of contract.  I really hope Lane utilizes all this free time to begin lining up more guest appearances around the U.S. and especially in Europe, where everyone can see how good she is and experience her on-stage magic, and ultimately finding a new home.  She just turned 34; she still has time left to make a great impression in a new place and continue to dance at the top of her game.

I don't think that McKenzie is sadistic enough to promote Lane with the with the intent of humiliating her. 

47 minutes ago, Pique Arabesque said:

I don't think that McKenzie is sadistic enough to promote Lane with the with the intent of humiliating her. 

I think it's unlikely that he has the intention of humiliating her but as laurel said, there may have been pressure to promote her in 2017 at the end of her Met season. I saw one of her Giselle performances, it was technically flawless and artistically one of the best I've seen. At the same time, she seems to be from the top (or even the middle) of the list of McKenzie favorites. She didn't get a lot of shows at the Met. In my humble opinion she should read the writing on the wall and move to another company while she's in her prime. I know her husband is in the corps of ABT, but surely that won't stop her.

I am anxiously awaiting the casting announcement for SFTA. Now it’d be a good time for making travel arrangements but I am not committing until I know who dances. I don’t want to see Boylston or Seo, both of whom I find bland and boring. If they don’t bring Lane, Brandt or Shevchenko to California I might just scrape my travel plans all together. 

Sarah Lane has a job as a principal at ABT, which probably pays well and has decent benefits, something that wouldn't be guaranteed if she moved elsewhere. Also, as much as I like her, she definitely is more of a classical ballerina and I don't see her fitting in well in a company with a lot of neoclassical Balanchine/Robbins works. Alexei Ratmansky obviously respects her as she's often cast in his projects. Also her husband is in the company. She'd be sacrificing a lot to leave ABT and I don't see her doing so at this point in her career.

45 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

I have tickets for both performances on 2/2, so I’ll see Brandt and Lane.  Looking forward to seeing Harlequinade, as I didn’t have a chance to see it last spring.

I hope you report back. I'm especially eager to hear how Lane's partner, Gonzalez (a young corps dancers in his first principal role), does as Harlequin.

72 Hour Discount offer for Harlequinade at the KC

Hurry! Offer expires soon

Kennedy Center Logo

Harlequinade

It's all slapstick and spectacle! Harlequinade is a "joyous romp" (Broadway World) you won't want to miss.

ABT presents the D.C. premiere of Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky's delightful retelling of Marius Petipa’s “lost” 19th-century classic. Harlequin fights for his true love, Columbine, in a charming tribute to the Italian commedia dell’arte style, known for its slapstick humor and rollicking characters. 

Opens next week!
Jan. 29–Feb. 3 | Opera House

WATCH: Masks, color, and whimsy in Harlequinade!

WATCH: Masks, color, and whimsy in Harlequinade!

Don't miss more ravishing ballet...

Mariinsky Ballet: 

Le Corsaire

Apr. 9–14

Opera House

Mariinsky Ballet: Le Corsaire

*Mention offer number "325065" by phone or at the Box Office.

For all other ticket-related customer service inquiries, call the Advance Sales Box Office at (202) 416-8540.

*Save 20% offer valid for select orchestra seats for Harlequinade on Jan. 29–Feb. 3. Offer subject to availability. Not valid in combination with any other offers. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice. Service fees may apply. Offer expires Jan. 25 at 9 p.m.

Major Supporters:

Elizabeth and C. Michael Kojaian and The Lee and Juliet Folger Fund

Photo Credit: Christine Shevchenko as Pierrette and Thomas Forster as Pierrot by Rosalie O'Connor. Video by Ezra Hurwitz.

facebooktwitterinstagramyoutube

View email in browser. |Forward this email.

You are receiving this email based on your email preferences. Edit preferences. | Unsubscribe.

Please do not reply to this email. 

Add info@kennedy-center.org to your address book or safe list to ensure delivery.

We respect our patrons' privacy. 

Read our privacy policy.

Contact center & FAQs

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC 20566

(202) 467-4600

open?sid=Njk3XzM0OTI1XzQ0MTg3XzcwMzY