This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017-18 Season

15 hours ago, Olga said:

Thank you. Sounds like a substantial tour and a lot of it in New York. Also some interesting choreographers. I guess the precise dates are still unknown. 

Lincoln Center Festival usually starts the second week of July and lasts thru the end of July. NY portion of the tour will probably be from mid to end of July.

24 minutes ago, ballet_n00b said:

I'm going on the 11th. 

I wanted to go on the 12th but it wouldn't let me split the block (even the strapontins) and the single seats which were left weren't value for money.

Not a bad sampling of the company on the 11th. Good to see Karl Paquette at 40 still doing classical roles.

17 hours ago, silvermash said:

Yet, he used to dance Diamonds :dry:

Fair enough. But I'm always happier to see a danseur retire certain roles while continuing to perform those classical roles still within his range. That to me is far more preferable than the Jeremie Belingard route of performing sporadically and then only performing the contemporary repertory.

12 hours ago, miliosr said:

Would love to hear from our French correspondents regarding Paul Marque's debut in the Villella role in Rubies . . .

It was fine but not memorable... I believe it was far from "American" standards... it lacks crisp and fun... I think Rubies is the most diffcult part to capture for POB dancers. Only Jérémie Belingard from the past years could make something of it from what I have seen

Edited by silvermash
On 9/24/2017 at 8:10 AM, silvermash said:

It was fine but not memorable... I believe it was far from "American" standards... it lacks crisp and fun... I think Rubies is the most diffcult part to capture for POB dancers. Only Jérémie Belingard from the past years could make something of it from what I have seen

I was quite impressed by it and could understand the buzz about this dancer, especially considering he was a fairly last-miinute replacement for Matthias Heymann.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-17-18/ballet/don-quichotte/distribution#head

The cast listings for Don Quixote are out.

I can only afford to attend one performance and would appreciate some recommendations.

Kitri/Basilio pairings include:

Pagliero/Heymann

Ould-Braham/Paquette

Renavand/Marchand

GIlbert/Marque

Pagliero/Legasa

Boylston/Marchand

Ould-Braham/Heymann

Albisson/Paquette

Baulac/Louvet

I can attend any date apart from the 15th December as I'll be seeing Nelson Goerner that night.

Which cast would you attend?

Thanks in advance

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, sonatina1234 said:

what is going on with francois alu? not cast in any of these??? that's kind of blasphemy on aurelie dupont's part don't you think?

It is. I think Alu's career is done as long as Dupont is in charge. Yes, the French "Ivan Vasiliev" would be a fantastic Basilio, nobody comes close in Paris to what he can do on stage. Even as Rothbart he literally knocked out Ganio with his variation in the acte noir of one of the Swan Lakes last December, poor Ganio. The roof of Bastile almost collapsed from the explosion of cheering. Taking into account both Quitterie and Basilio, Pagliero/Heymann is the top cast. Pagliero/Legasa would be the second choice (again, mostly because of Pagliero, Legasa is promising but inexperienced in classics of which he had few opportunities to dance, his debut in the pas d'ecossaises in "La Sylphide" was raw, a disappointment), Boylston/Marchand seems interesting, Karl Paquette is paired very oddly, this is however the last chance to see him. From Baulac/Louvet don't expect either polish or technical tours de force, lots of youthful charm instead.

Thank you Laurent and miliosr.

I love Pagliero but I've seen her dance twice already this year and was thinking about seeing other dancers, though if she's likely to give the best Kitri maybe I will see her again.

Paquette is my favourite dancer at ONP but I got burnt last time I booked largely to see him (Jewels), as he pulled out of the performance.

Baulac/Louvet made a big impression on me when I saw them in Nutcracker in 2014.

22 hours ago, ballet_n00b said:

Paquette is my favourite dancer at ONP but I got burnt last time I booked largely to see him (Jewels), as he pulled out of the performance.

It's a shame Paquette had to drop out of some (all?) of his Jewels performances. But I give him credit for sticking with the big classical and neo-classical roles when he's nearing retirement. Ever since Paquette did that crazy number of Don Q's during Madame Lefevre's reign, I've thought that he views being an etoile as shouldering a tremendous amount of responsibility.