This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sylve

There is a story about Sofiane Sylve in today's NY Times.

i have really enjoyed ms sylve's sensational performances, which have made nycb's season

there are a lot of new, talented women around, but it will take time before they mature into real ballerina status

however, i feel that ms syle is not yet fully commited to the company's style -- it's as if she is being drawn in different choreographic directions: she is incredibly versatile

i hope she soon settles into something definite -- whatever it is, i hope i'll be there to enjoy her very special talent

best wishes, and thanks, to her

I just stumbled on to the HET Nationale Ballet site and found that they have little under-a-minute video clips of their soloists. I'll link you to the one for Sylve, where she is shown in two excerpts, including part of a Sugar Plum variation in which she exhibits her incredible turning ability, including doing a "septuple" pirouette to the audience's great amazement and pleasure.

Sofiane Sylve videoclip

I just stumbled on to the HET Nationale Ballet site and found that they have little under-a-minute video clips of their soloists. I'll link you to the one for Sylve, where she is shown in two excerpts, including part of a Sugar Plum variation in which she exhibits her incredible turning ability, including doing a "septuple" pirouette to the audience's great amazement and pleasure.

Sofiane Sylve videoclip

It is indeed quite something -- do you happen to know the work that she's dancing in the first half of the tape (in the chartreuse tutu)?

Thanks for the link, Marga. Awesome!
You're welcome, dirac (and carbro!).

I spent some time viewing most of the other video clips, too -- Larissa Lezhnina in a bit of Diana and Acteon, for example. Some of the dancers, male and female, are stunning! I wish more companies did this. :pinch:

Sylve's I watched over and over! It was the first clip I viewed and was so mesmerizing that I initially thought her turns were not executed in real time but were on a loop, as some online animations are. I had to watch the clip 3 times to make sure it was really just her, no gimmicks attached, doing so many different multiple turns, so fast and perfectly straight, all on her left foot, without ever bringing the working leg down! It seemed other-worldly to me, as in impossible-to-do-in-this-world!

Guest nycdog

Wow...something neat is to see the difference between Principal Sofiane Sylve and Soloist 'Natalia Hoffmann' in the videos at the Dutch National Ballet site!

The costumes are the same but Sylve is ... :) How shall I put it? In a completely different realm than the other dancer?