This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2016 Winter Season

Isn't he too short to partner Sterling in Mozartiana. Interesting that Huxley used to do the secondary role in that ballet, but is now elevated to the lead, while Danny Ulbricht is still doing that same role after so many years. Good to see Finlay is back. Oh, and Robbie Fairchild is dancing w. Tiler Peck in Who Cares. That will be great. No casting of Catazaroo - hope he recovers soon.

Isn't he too short to partner Sterling in Mozartiana.

I think the entire cast is too short for Mozartiana. I'm dating myself, but I still think of it as a "tall" ballet.

I yield to no one in my genuine respect for and thorough enjoyment of Hyltin, Huxley, and Ulbricht (sounds like a law firm) but I do think Mozartiana looks best on the kind of tall dancers it was choreographed on (Suzanne Farrell, Ib Anderson, and Victor Castelli).

I think, eventually, NYCB will put Lauren Lovette into Mozartiana with Anthony Huxley. At present, she may not be quite ready for such a demanding ballerina role. Technical demands aside, I'm inclined to believe that Lauren may very well have the personality and wit for this ballet...from other performances I've seen of hers.

I'm very excited to see Huxley take on the lead in Mozartiana! Danny Ulbricht would handle it beautifully, but you can ask Peter why that casting hasn't yet happened. Definitely not a good fit, at this time, with Sterling, imo....

Casting for Week 2 has been posted. Loads of first times in roles, and some more Corps members getting some exposure. Phelan will debut in both Glass Pieces and Who Cares? Gordon is also dancing like... 4 different ballets during that time period, and will also debut in two ballets in Fancy Free and Who Cares?

http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_January-26-31,-2016_lobby.pdf

I'll definitely be there to see the Who Cares? debuts! Gordon is a favorite of mine in anything, and Phelan should be sexy fun in this ballet. I'm assuming she's dancing the jumping solo (aka Karin's) and not the turning solo (aka Marnee's). We'll see. I'm also excited to see Lauren Lovette in the lead role, a perfect fit for her personality, imo. One day, maybe it will be Chase Finlay as Lauren's partner, and then we'll see lots of chemistry in "The Man I Love" duet.

As for the other ballets on this program, there's always something to enjoy -- especially at $30 a seat!

I can't bestow enough praise on Tiler Peck regarding her performance in Who Cares last night. Do not miss her in this ballet. She is phenomenal. I've never seen anyone else perform her role with such theatrical presence, musicality, impeccable timing and bold attack. Robbie Fairchild was also compelling, and excellent, but I've seen other dancers at NYCB also excel in his role. Tiler, however, is really in a class by herself in this.. .

Week Three casting is up: http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB_Casting_February-2-7,-2016_lobby.pdf

Even more debut principal roles for Unity Phelan again this week, and I know she's dancing the J. Peck's as well. I so wish I could see the premiere of The Most Incredible Thing. The Feb. 2nd casting for all the ballets is quite exciting, actually. Anybody want to fly me up to NYC? :innocent:

Week 3, Symphony in C, second movement: Sterling Hyltin? I just can't picture this. Why oh why not Ashley Laracey?

Couldn't agree more. I can't picture Hyltin in half of the roles with which she has been gifted. She has none of the mystery, profundity, or artistry of Allegra Kent.

I'll admit it: one of my eyebrows shot up when I saw that Hyltin had been cast in the second movement of Symphony in C. But do you know what? If my schedule allowed it, I'd be there to see her take on the role in a heartbeat. I have been pleasantly surprised by a Hyltin performance so many times now that I've simply come to expect that at the very least she will deliver something thoughtful and interesting and more often than not, something lovely, delightful, and moving as well. There's a growing list of roles in which I'd rather see her than anyone else -- Kay Mazzo's role in Stravinsky Violin Concerto, for instance, or Aurora in NYCB's version of Sleeping Beauty. (Yes, I prefer Hyltin's Aurora to Peck's.) As I've indicated up-thread, I can't quite wrap my head around a cast of short dancers in Mozartiana, but I very much enjoyed Hyltin's performance in it in spite myself. She may not execute a given role's steps with the technical chops of some of her colleagues, but she dances them with a musicality, intelligence, and lovely humanity that I find impossible to resist.

I actually would not classify Hyltin as someone who is short. In fact, she fits in with the "tall girl" roles pretty well. At the present moement, Reichlin and Mearns dominate the "tall girl" rep. I doubt Maria K. will be cast in the future in 2nd movement of Symphony in C because she was starting to show weakness in the technical demands during the last run. So that left Hyltin as the go to person as the third cast. While it may be nice in theory to think of Laracey in the role, they generally don't give the lead ballerina role to a soloist for the second movement. (Not so with the danseur role, which is dominated by soloists.) Krohn has the long limbs for the role, but I think she is too weak technically for the role, which may be why she was bypassed.

I saw last night's performance, and found that most of the performances of the women were works in progress, to put it mildly. The one notable exception was Tiler Peck, who was exquisite. She is a worthy successor to Kyra Nichols. The men all did fine, with special mention to the dashing R. Janzen.

I thought Sara Mearns was all wrong for Glass pieces. She is a lush, romantic ballerina. This ballet calls for angular and spikey.

Added: Claire Kretszmar (sp?) was replaced in Glass Pieces.

I don't understand why they switched Rebecca Krohn and Sara Mearns in Glass Pieces and Liebeslieder Walzer, giving them each a debut in a new role rather than leaving them in roles they've already developed. I sorely missed Mearns' intensity and interiority in Liebeslieder. Krohn is beautiful, but she really needs more work in that role. I'm sorry that Liebeslieder isn't received more enthusiastically by the audience. I will be at every performance.

I'm also a huge Laracey fan. I think she should have been promoted to principal over Lovette. A recent picture on Craig Hall's instagram feed is giving me some hope that Laracey and Janzen will do the Sym in C adagio at some point (it looks like the adagio, anyway). I saw their Sugarplum/Cavalier and thought they were better than any others this past Nutcracker season. Laracey has the potential to take over the Maria K adagio roles with the same sort of transporting quality that others seem to lack in those parts (including Tess Reichlen, whom I adore in almost everything). I hope Martins doesn't wait too long to give her those chances. She languished in the corps for far, far too long.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAVuNz0MypC/?taken-by=lsweaters

Re last night, I thought the corps was outstanding in Glass Pieces. Liked all the young members doing the solo roles in the first half, too.