• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Sorry, if this should go somewhere else.

Out of curiosity I checked the Queensland Performing  Art Center for ABT casting.  There is no specific casting but the company members are listed.  I wasn't surprised that Julie Kent's name is missing.  I don't think there's anything for her to do there.  I was surprised to see Joseph Gorak's name missing (unless I just didn't see it)

http://www.qpac.com....tm_campaign=ABT

I'm really wondering when the casting for all those Swan Lakes is going up.

#2 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Gorak's name isn't listed but Hallberg's is. Two surprises. I keep checking ABT's site for casting. You're not the only one who is eagerly waiting. :)

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

Wow.  Hallberg is dancing with ABT a lot this year, in contrast to the last few years.  Semionova's not on the tour.

I don't see why Kent couldn't dance in Fancy Free, as she has in prior revivals. She also previously did a role in Seven Sonatas, but that may now be out of her technical reach.

I think the issue has to do with timing.  She has young kids, and the new school year starts right when this tour is scheduled.  I'm sure Victor Barbee has to go on the trip, and so they may have decided that one parent should remain in NYC.

#4 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

The casting is up for Australia

http://www.abt.org/c...rtdate=8/1/2014

Copeland is doing a Swan Lake with Hammoudi.  No such luck for Sarah Lane.

#5 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Re: Gorak being missing from the announcement.  He is still in the corps de ballet until 8/1/14, so he wouldn't be one of the leading soloists they would be announcing.  However he is listed for roles in "Seven Sonatas" and "Bach Partita".  April Giangeruso has also landed a solo role in "Bach Partita"

Interesting note: Gomes is not dancing in "Swan Lake".

#6 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

It is too bad that Misty is only scheduled for one performance of Swan Lake. You would think at least two, would give her the chance to relax and develop, or at least a second chance to get over any nerves and anxiety. With only one scheduled, it's like an audition -- you better nail it, this is it!

#7 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Re: Gorak being missing from the announcement.  He is still in the corps de ballet until 8/1/14, so he wouldn't be one of the leading soloists they would be announcing.  However he is listed for roles in "Seven Sonatas" and "Bach Partita".  April Giangeruso has also landed a solo role in "Bach Partita"

Except that the other newly appointed soloists won't be soloists till August 1 either yet that site has them listed as soloists for the engagement (Tuescher, Zhurbin, Schevchenko). So leaving off Gorak doesn't make sense unless it's just an error.

#8 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Except that the other newly appointed soloists won't be soloists till August 1 either yet that site has them listed as soloists for the engagement (Tuescher, Zhurbin, Schevchenko). So leaving off Gorak doesn't make sense unless it's just an error.

Since Gorak is cast in things I suspect it's just an error. Boylston is on the list of principals but if you click on her name the bio still says soloist.  I there are just errors to be fixed.  I have to say It is annoying to me that Copeland is getting a SL when Stella Abrera and Sarah Lane are not.  I'm sure the PR will be great.

#9 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have to say It is annoying to me that Copeland is getting a SL when Stella Abrera and Sarah Lane are not.  I'm sure the PR will be great.

These days Copeland is just a PR machine. She has neither the lyrical softness required for Odette nor the technical fireworks for Odile. I hate to judge her before she has even danced the role, but there are certainly dancers more deserving of a Wednesday matinee SL. Can Copeland's appearance in SL be considered a breakthrough achievement for African-American dancers even though she has had to repeatedly sell, sell, sell her story of triumph over adversity and portray herself as THE only black female dancer who has ever accomplished anything in classical ballet? I think it's unfortunate because I'd really love to see a black dancer rise through the ranks of ABT on merit alone rather than heavy-handed marketing. Talent should speak for itself. 

#10 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

These days Copeland is just a PR machine. She has neither the lyrical softness required for Odette nor the technical fireworks for Odile. I hate to judge her before she has even danced the role, but there are certainly dancers more deserving of a Wednesday matinee SL. Can Copeland's appearance in SL be considered a breakthrough achievement for African-American dancers even though she has had to repeatedly sell, sell, sell her story of triumph over adversity and portray herself as THE only black female dancer who has ever accomplished anything in classical ballet? I think it's unfortunate because I'd really love to see a black dancer rise through the ranks of ABT on merit alone rather than heavy-handed marketing. Talent should speak for itself.

Great post.  My thoughts exactly.

#11 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

Ditto.

#12 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I couldn't agree more.

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

Agree with above.  Misty has become a publicity machine. She has become the Kim Kardashian of ballet.  If you have a TV camera or a publication, Misty will be there to tell and retell and retell again her sad story.   The combo of her and Hammoudi making their debuts makes me cringe.  Neither one is ready for prime time in their lead roles. Hamoudi was awful as Rothbart.  The technique was lacking.  I can't even imagine him pulling off the lead in this ballet at this point.  I wonder if Kevin will be bold enough to use that combo in NYC.  If so, I'll be anywhere else except the Met. 

Reyes is not on the tour. 

I guess Gomes will do Rothbart.  Lucky Aussies.

#14 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Sorry not to see Forster cast. At least Tam is getting some parts.

#15 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

I agree with you, Barbara.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Amour, sidwich

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):